Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hookah Issues (Temsah Wheat) :|

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 25th, 2009, 11:28 PM
jordywashere
Hookah Newbie

Default Hookah Issues (Temsah Wheat) :|

Recently bought the Temsah wheat hookah from CH. I've had a few issues however, it's not all that terrible.

Setup:I use the standard egyptian bowl it came with, 2 CH QL coals, Windcover, 1 layer foil, circle pattern for holes (using a mechanical pencil to poke the holes since i don't have a toothpick), been trying to vary with the water level however I havn't seen much of a difference (try to go about 1 inch above downstem, but perhaps someone could recommend where to go on this base?), and narbish hose.

Been using Nakhla mango/peach and multiple starbuzz flavors. Much of the time the smoke tends to not be as thick as I have seen from other users online (or from the lounges I've been) but it's not terrible. It also tends to get harsh pretty quick. Also I don't really feel as if I'm getting that great of a flavor out of much of the shisha I have. (I've tried airing it out a little bit and mixing it around for the juices)

Another issue I have had is that the purge valve it came seems to create a leak as it didn't come with one of those little metal balls so I covered it with foil to make it more air tight. Also I can't seem to get the base grommit to fit in all the way.

I'll try to post some pictures of the setup. Thanks for the help!
Old October 25th, 2009, 11:43 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988
Default Re: Hookah Issues (Temsah Wheat) :|

1. Use a plastic airsoft pellet for the purge valve
2. As long as the stem is airtight in the base your good.
3. Harsh smoke is a heat problem, try one coal and a windcover.
4. Water should be about an 1-1.5 inches above the down stem, so you got that right. I usually eye it.

Last edited by hookahman1988; October 25th, 2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old October 25th, 2009, 11:55 PM
swaflyer1
Hookah Nut

are you using a standard bowl?
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:58 AM
hookahstore
Vendor

As stated before try using an airsoft pellet for your purge valve.
Another thing, If you cant get the base grommet in all the way try getting it wet. It usually helps the grommet slide into the vase easier.
I would also recommend maybe using 2 layers of foil.
Good luck!
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:53 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

as for thicker smoke, its either more heat you want, or a thinner hose

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old October 26th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Bogalu
Banned

I would say lay off the mechanical pencil. The wholes your poking are WAY too small. Your having to pull much harder to get air and heat through the holes which in thus also makes your coals burn much hotter then they need to be. Switch to a thumbtack and push it all the way through. A toothpick also works although most of the time they are too thick so I'd say push one of those half way through the slope of the tip as it gets to be much to thick if you go any further. 18-30 holes are good. My cardinal rule is for however many holes you poke in the middle of the bowl under where you place the coal you should poke half as many as that on the outside rim of the bowl. I poke 13 holes in the middle of my bowl spaced out evenly as possible all along the bottom of where to coal is to be placed and 6 holes on the outer rim of the bowl. This applys to a standard clay bowl that holds 20-30 grams with a 40mm belgian or 3 king. So if your bowl and coal differs then you should use your imagination and see what works for you. Either way, your main problem is the hole size, poke a little bit bigger holes with a thumbtack and ill guarantee you'll be good.
Old October 26th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Codeman

One thing I noticed with my Wheat is that the downstem is very long and goes deep into the vase. If your vase has the two gold rings as it narrows for the neck, I'm guessing that you aren't even filled up to the lower of the two. I have mine filled to the upper gold ring, which is probably 2-2.5" above the bottom of the stem.

Mine didn't have the ball bearing for the purge valve either - picked up a 1/4" ball bearing from the local hardware store for ~$0.25. As others have suggested, you can use an airsoft BB, but good luck getting just one or two or spending less than $1, lol. Another thing with covering up the purge valve - you can use that to help control the heat and harshness a bit, unless you seal if off.

As for the harshness / heat issues, check your bowl to make sure the holes go all the way through. Most of the egyptian bowls I've ever had have had 1 or more hole that didn't go through all the way and had to be drilled out. I normally use a standard egyptian and single sheet of foil with CH (nats). Holes can be poked any which way - I just scatter them around, but with a pencil tip you aren't getting into the shisha at all. For fine holes, I'll just a safety pin and push it to the bottom of the bowl. Poking into/through the shisha will help it breath better.
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:43 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

Remember to use 2 layers of foil, unless you are using Heavy Duty foil.
Also, try a windcover and 1/2 a coal.
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Straykat
Hookah Nut

I respectfully disagree with the "holes too small" practice. I make very small holes but a lot of them. Reason is it helps keep ash from getting through. When the holes clog I just brush them off. I don't experience any additional difficulty pulling. Just make more holes to compensate for them being so small. For me, same airflow, less ash.
Old October 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Codeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straykat View Post
I respectfully disagree with the "holes too small" practice. I make very small holes but a lot of them. Reason is it helps keep ash from getting through. When the holes clog I just brush them off. I don't experience any additional difficulty pulling. Just make more holes to compensate for them being so small. For me, same airflow, less ash.
I think, and I may be wrong, but I think most people are talking about the depth more than diameter of the holes. Hell, I use a small safety pin, which is smaller diameter than a mechanical pencil, and I don't go crazy with the number of holes. The thing I do is poke all they way through the tobacco - he's not getting any penetration (waiting for this to show up in out of context thread, lol).

I personally haven't ever felt the need to double up the foil (although I always use HD foil), but I have tried it a couple times... I also smoke Nakhla 95+ percent of the time though, so I'm not as practiced on the juicy varieties.
Old October 26th, 2009, 08:16 PM
jordywashere
Hookah Newbie

I'll have to try to find an airsoft pellet thing or just try to nab another ball. Foil seems to be working to cover it in the meantime.

Tried the water method for the base grommet thing and still having trouble with that. It's airtight so I guess that's what matters in the end but it just looks dumb atm.

For the water level I have the base with the multiple gold rings and the big one in the middle (think it's the same one as your talking about). Usually the downstem will reach at the bottom of the big gold ring and I'll fill the water to about halfway of that ring.

Tried it again last night, used JM Dr. Soda (this feels like such an imperfect science). Ended up trying to overpack the bowl just to see if I could get thicker smoke, double of regular foil, rest was the same other than that. Ended up getting a lot of thicker and smooth smoke, but I felt as if the flavor was kind of very faint and kind of a (lack of better words) soapy vanilla. Never really got a good flavor from the Dr. Soda so not sure what's up with that, so I'll have to try again with SB or Nakhla.

I've been in the same mindset as straykat, mainly about the ash. Before CH I was using some nasty QL that ashed alot and was afraid it would affect the flavor. I'll try to keep messing with it.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook