Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Health Notice about smoking hookah

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Lonelyboy
Hookah Nut

Default Health Notice about smoking hookah

OK here it goes.

this weekend i was hospitalized beacause of smoking to heavily under a short period ( 4 hours in a row).

fainted and had a seizure and felt extremly weak and a killing headache after about 4 hours of smoking (2 persons)

was hospitalized, could probably have gone home earlier but because i had a seizure they had to check for epilepsy, which was good for me because i got to talk to a doctor about it and he explained what probably had happend to me.

he told me this was symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning )

that could have ended much worse luckily

in short it means thay you fill your
red blood corpuscles with carbon monoxide instead of oxygen and you kind of choke yourself from the inside.

so we talked a bit and he told me it was ok to smoke but strongly recomended me to take very short sessions (absolutely not more then an hour straight) and if i feel even a little bit dizzyness, quit and go out and takes some deep breaths and keep of the hookah for a while.

to take long sessions even if not seizureing all the time could give symptoms like ******* headache and other heavily sympotms you do not want and if you seizure you could probably get brain damage if you are really unlycky.

just a disclaimer to take some deep breaths of fresh air sometimes and remeber to keep the hookah smoking in moderation as you should with everything

if you have any questions about what happend or what the doctor said or anything feel free to ask tried to keep this one short so people would read it before getting to bored...:P

// LonelyBoy (lucky he wasnt that lonely :P )

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:56 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Default Re: Health Notice about smoking hookah

Everything in moderation my friend. Take a breath or two in between draws from the hookah. You don't have to constantly draw off the hookah. Enjoy it slowly and in a relaxing manner.

But I do have to ask, what were you using as your set up? It seems like you chain smoked yourself into CO poisoning but there may be more at play here. Please tell me you are using the proper charcoal.
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Lonelyboy
Hookah Nut

for the first 3 hours we used coconaras/golden flash (wood charcoal) on a KM Ra 46 inches hookah loaded with tangiers lucid passion fruit/mint and for the other hour used my homemade stainless steel hookah ( http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15045 ) frosen, so really cold smoke with same coal and tangiers lucid mint. i draw pretty constanly and deep breaths when it was my turn but we was two people smoking and i have smoked hookah for about 5 years and as worst getting an headache (more often lately though). I most certainly agree that moderation is the key here

was just so cosy and nice feeling so we just lost track of time so this is just an pointer to be careful (easy to get lost) and if you get the symptoms consider to call the hospital.

take care of yourself and the people you smoke with
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

Are you lighting the coals in a closed space in the same space in which you also smoke your hookah?
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:33 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Notification noted! I'm going to smoke hookah nonstop this weekend with friends and I'll be sure we get plenty of fresh air.

Sorry to hear about your hospitalization mate.
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Lonelyboy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui View Post
Are you lighting the coals in a closed space in the same space in which you also smoke your hookah?
Nope

Heating the coals on my stove (even one room between my kitchen and my livingroom) so that shouldnt be a trouble.

As i said i never got this bad before but it could be that i had somekind of sickness like the flu or something 3 weeks ago and maybe my body hadnt fully recovered, anyways it aint good when you get headache from carbon monoxide poisoning and just wanted to point out that, that is a common symptoms that tells you, to take a longer break (at least for some hours and important to take breaths of fresh air).

if you continue it can (in worst case scenario) go very bad.

Bob marley glad to give you a tip
it was the point of this thread
even if my reactions to this was kind of extreme it doesnt hurt to get a reminder every now and then
hope you have a really great weekend and personaly i aint quiting smokeing, just taking a short break now and then in the future taking it more in moderation
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

I am glad that it didn't get worse than that. I am a daily smoker but I have never smoked for more than 1.5 hours. First, it is a waste of time to spend more than 2 hours of my day smoking, I feel that there are many things in life to enjoy other than smoking. Second, I get bored VERY quickly and I can't sit for hours doing the same thing.
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

You like Mr.Winky eh?

But yar this is good to know. I smoke 1 bowl a day on average and if work sucked I suck down 2 bowls. On days off My firends and I generally go through about 6 bowls in a 6-8 hour period. But that period is always cut into pieces by tacobell runs and chasing some ass.
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Lonelyboy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
I am glad that it didn't get worse than that. I am a daily smoker but I have never smoked for more than 1.5 hours. First, it is a waste of time to spend more than 2 hours of my day smoking, I feel that there are many things in life to enjoy other than smoking. Second, I get bored VERY quickly and I can't sit for hours doing the same thing.
Very glad it turned out the way it did too, actually was really lucky (you guys wont belive this heh). when i fainted and falled down, i actually landed in the box i got my km ra in and it was filled with styrofoam. thank god i am lazy and dont removes stuff so often hahah and could probably have gotten really much worse if i wouldnt have had an dear friend there that called the hospital and breath some air into me. cheers for her!

heh actually i was smoking with a very dear girlfriend of mine and talking alot inbetween (usually mostly 1.5 hours when alone). so it is merely a way for me to hang out with my friends with and having all kind of conversations. (tries not the use a winky...hahahah)

Sui : excuse for the winkys i am sadly a smiley abuser and a bit tired today heh..hope you can survive thru it *blink* haha
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonelyboy View Post

Sui : excuse for the winkys i am sadly a smiley abuser and a bit tired today heh..hope you can survive thru it *blink* haha
Pfft. Use em up bro! is my fave. cause it isnt a sarcasm one to me its more like a wishful thinking smiley...cause he is looking up and smiling like in a daydream of a good bowl of nahkla on a beautiful hookah
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:29 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Ql coals for the win
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:40 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
Nope

Heating the coals on my stove (even one room between my kitchen and my livingroom) so that shouldnt be a trouble.

As i said i never got this bad before but it could be that i had somekind of sickness like the flu or something 3 weeks ago and maybe my body hadnt fully recovered, anyways it aint good when you get headache from carbon monoxide poisoning and just wanted to point out that, that is a common symptoms that tells you, to take a longer break (at least for some hours and important to take breaths of fresh air).

if you continue it can (in worst case scenario) go very bad.

Bob marley glad to give you a tip
it was the point of this thread
even if my reactions to this was kind of extreme it doesnt hurt to get a reminder every now and then
hope you have a really great weekend and personaly i aint quiting smokeing, just taking a short break now and then in the future taking it more in moderation
actually, that isnt far enough, i have a carbon monoxide detector that is 3 rooms away from my stove, i can light one batch inside, but if i light 2 batches, the detector is beeping for hours.

and this is with the hood on too.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Lonelyboy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
Ql coals for the win
heh belive that carbon monoxide poisoning doesnt only comes from the coals then more from the incompleteburning of tobaco that produce smoke with carbon monoxidein it (not sure this is true though) but apperantly carbon monoxide can come from normal tobaco smoking too (if i have understanded it right even from cigarettes) but surely coals arent that healthy either.

photolinger

heh..there you see....good to know too i guess to not heaten to many coals inside...

as this probably was part of the reason of my carbon monoxide poisoning (if it even was carbon monoxide poisoning i had :P )

anyways i just want people to be careful and take it easy when they get headache and so on , dont ignore the signs as i did....
and be precautious and go out and breath some fresh breaths outside even if you dont feels dizzy every now and then....

hmm have also read that if you get carbon monoxide poisoning it wont helpt at the moment to only breath fresh air...it takes a while for carbon monoxide to "leave" your body...

sidenote: i aint a doctor, this is mostly what i have been told by a doctor and read on the internet so take these advices with that in mind (not even sure i have got the info right either)....but nevertheless good to be precatiuos i guess and it aint that harsh to go out and take some breaths..
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

sorry to hear about this - i had a similar experience last year. I was dumb enough to help two groups of people get there bowls started - wound up passing out in my dorms lobby because i was too stubborn to sit down and take a break before walking back.

It wasn't as bad as yours, but i still had to deal with the suspicious campus police thinking i had used NHT or been drinking, which was not the case.

Again, sorry to hear about the bad night, and thanks for the warning to everyone! Better luck in the future
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

I said in another thread that carbon monoxide is the most harmful part of hookah.

in most cases, any time you start developing a headache its probably from CO. personally i try to use only golden canary charcoal due to their lower lvls of CO.
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:41 PM
esteban
Hookah Pro

Just make sure you have a good meal, lots of liquids and don't hammer it, and all will be fine, open a window as well.
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:43 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

I am indeed glad that you are ok. CO poisoning is nasty stuff. Regarding CO being produced by the incomplete burning of the tobacco, anything that burns will produce CO if it is organic. "Incomplete burning" or not. With hookah you should be avoiding an actual burning of the tobacco as much as possible. When you broil it with indirect heat some CO will be produced but the majority is going to come from the coals as it is prety much burning carbon. This is increased in the case of QL coals. Especially in the ambient levels in the house after lighting.
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Shushyne4np2ne
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Shushyne4np2ne Send a message via Yahoo to Shushyne4np2ne

Ouch... Sorry to hear about your problem, buddy. Happened to me. I switched to nats and not hoovering it... easiest thing I ever did and no headaches. EVEN with chainsmoked 4 bowls of Tangiers... Needless to say I melted into the couch.

Old October 26th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Lonelyboy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
I am indeed glad that you are ok. CO poisoning is nasty stuff. Regarding CO being produced by the incomplete burning of the tobacco, anything that burns will produce CO if it is organic. "Incomplete burning" or not. With hookah you should be avoiding an actual burning of the tobacco as much as possible. When you broil it with indirect heat some CO will be produced but the majority is going to come from the coals as it is prety much burning carbon. This is increased in the case of QL coals. Especially in the ambient levels in the house after lighting.
Nice info kalutika

and just wanna say i like all your comments, they all show that hookah smoking could be dangerous if you are careless and that it is very enjoyable with some smart thinking and good wits

just want to warn people to take the signs/symptoms serious, because for me it went very fast from sitting and having a very nice time to not remembering what is happening, and that signs of headache is a warning sign that you should take a longer brake because even if you just take some quick breaths or something to drink it takes time for the CO to leave your body and be replaced by oxygen, as in most casest if you smoke under an hour it shouldnt be "dangerous" but still it goes fast from feeling "decently" to not feel at all.....

i fully belive that esteban is right about that it is good to be catious and therefor eat before you smoke and have a good amount of water nearby, but even with that if the headache comes you should still take a break....

must say i like tha positive discussion of this topic as it it important (i had no idea you could get CO posioning) and really hope more people read this and smoke in moderation and listen to their bodys

not meaning to flame anything here just got a bit suprised myself and it is good to have reality knocking on your door sometimes to make you understand what you are doing...

I am still promoting hookah and i really think it gives alot of flavour to my life

just glad i am able to learn and handle the disadvantages of it too..

thanks for a great community all
Old October 26th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

wow.. interesting. This is a good lesson for all of us. Glad you are alright, and things didnt go worse.
Old October 26th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Ignited
Hookah Nut

Smoking in an small or enclosed space will do this and so will chain smoking. Glad you decided to share your experience and that you are OK.
Old October 26th, 2009, 02:50 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

Good to hear you are okay, but smoking for 4 hours straight jeez lol.

I've smoked for two hours straight, then go outside and get some fresh air.
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:14 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Nice info kalutika

and just wanna say i like all your comments, they all show that hookah smoking could be dangerous if you are careless and that it is very enjoyable with some smart thinking and good wits

just want to warn people to take the signs/symptoms serious, because for me it went very fast from sitting and having a very nice time to not remembering what is happening, and that signs of headache is a warning sign that you should take a longer brake because even if you just take some quick breaths or something to drink it takes time for the CO to leave your body and be replaced by oxygen, as in most casest if you smoke under an hour it shouldnt be "dangerous" but still it goes fast from feeling "decently" to not feel at all.....

i fully belive that esteban is right about that it is good to be catious and therefor eat before you smoke and have a good amount of water nearby, but even with that if the headache comes you should still take a break....

must say i like tha positive discussion of this topic as it it important (i had no idea you could get CO posioning) and really hope more people read this and smoke in moderation and listen to their bodys

not meaning to flame anything here just got a bit suprised myself and it is good to have reality knocking on your door sometimes to make you understand what you are doing...

I am still promoting hookah and i really think it gives alot of flavour to my life

just glad i am able to learn and handle the disadvantages of it too..

thanks for a great community all
I love hookah but it's still the inhalation of vapors and chemicals that can have toxicity at too high of a concentration. It's just a simple fact that comes with enjoying the hobby.

I am kind of glad that this thread exists. Not that I am happy were hurt, but rather this is more real to the new kids that don't think there is any danger than someone like me talking about the hypothetical dangers.
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Lonelyboy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
I love hookah but it's still the inhalation of vapors and chemicals that can have toxicity at too high of a concentration. It's just a simple fact that comes with enjoying the hobby.

I am kind of glad that this thread exists. Not that I am happy were hurt, but rather this is more real to the new kids that don't think there is any danger than someone like me talking about the hypothetical dangers.
Couldnt agrre more!

i am actually kind of glad this happend to me.
for one i got some things to think about myself....
and for second maybe we get some others to think before they go down...
and i would like to put in that even if you arent a kid or even if you are a everyday smoker this is something to considerate because if you dont know what can happen you cant really avoid it...
hmm..as for myself fell down really fast....and i see myself as moderate smoker...
so this info isnt just for the kids..it is for all who want to take hooka smoking serious and learn to enjoy it to the fullest...

ohh...a small tip would maybe be to have a window open when you heat your coal or if you are able lit your coals outside to get away some of the CO...not sure thought if this is to any real help....would be glad if someone else can recomend this or prove it hahah....

anyway..keep this great discuison open

Last edited by Lonelyboy; October 26th, 2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old October 26th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
OK here it goes.

this weekend i was hospitalized beacause of smoking to heavily under a short period ( 4 hours in a row).

fainted and had a seizure and felt extremly weak and a killing headache after about 4 hours of smoking (2 persons)

was hospitalized, could probably have gone home earlier but because i had a seizure they had to check for epilepsy, which was good for me because i got to talk to a doctor about it and he explained what probably had happend to me.

he told me this was symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning )

that could have ended much worse luckily

in short it means thay you fill your
red blood corpuscles with carbon monoxide instead of oxygen and you kind of choke yourself from the inside.

so we talked a bit and he told me it was ok to smoke but strongly recomended me to take very short sessions (absolutely not more then an hour straight) and if i feel even a little bit dizzyness, quit and go out and takes some deep breaths and keep of the hookah for a while.

to take long sessions even if not seizureing all the time could give symptoms like ******* headache and other heavily sympotms you do not want and if you seizure you could probably get brain damage if you are really unlycky.

just a disclaimer to take some deep breaths of fresh air sometimes and remeber to keep the hookah smoking in moderation as you should with everything

if you have any questions about what happend or what the doctor said or anything feel free to ask tried to keep this one short so people would read it before getting to bored...:P

// LonelyBoy (lucky he wasnt that lonely :P )

This sort of thing pops up periodically which is a decent indication that far too many people that use narghiles aren't bothering to understand the risks and how to reduce them.

First i'd suggest always lighting your coals outside since it won't set off any alarms and a lot of CO is produced during lighting.

When smoking I don't inhale mainly because for me it's about taste and craftsmanship but it also means I bring a lot less CO into my bloodstream. Basically you should smoke a narghile the way a good cigar should be smoked. See my thread about a new smoking method for an even better way.

I wait a good 20-30 seconds between draws depending upon the strength of what I smoke which helps. Also, every 15-20 minutes I simply stop smoking for about 5 minutes which helps to make the moassel taste stronger but also assures me that I never have to worry about too much CO. Lastly I never smoke more then 90 minutes a day (60 minutes is normal) and that seems to me the best.

Sitting around smoking for several hours is a terrible idea. Lastly, I always smoke outside when I am home since I like hearing the sounds of the sea but if you are inside a place without excellent ventilation I suggest that you do the same.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook