Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

PERFORMANCE HOOKAH

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 27th, 2009, 08:49 AM
dankfrank
Deleted Per User Request

Default PERFORMANCE HOOKAH

alright, bout to spend about 200 bucks on a hookah.
ive been browsing plennnty of sites. i like the reviews of the Syrian Snake (3hose) and the looks Egyptian nile hookah.

(by the way, im almost 100percent set on getting a heba diffuser)

i dont really know what direction to go in.
i've been reading lots of reviews and find myself still lost

is it better to go online or find a nice hookah shop in the cities?
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:54 AM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Default Re: PERFORMANCE HOOKAH

Probably better to shop online, more variety and a lot of times it will be cheaper.

I'd push you in the direction of Khalil Mamoon hookahs, they are my personal favorite and outperform most other rigs.
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:58 AM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradedup View Post
Probably better to shop online, more variety and a lot of times it will be cheaper.

I'd push you in the direction of Khalil Mamoon hookahs, they are my personal favorite and outperform most other rigs.
Shop online and buy a KM, you'll be glad u did.
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:26 AM
chsknight
Hookah Nut

shop online and buy Syrian, km's are yesterdays news
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsknight View Post
+1 KM quality is going way down. I saw a couple of them a few days ago, and they were crap.

Go with a syrian. You cant go wrong with syrian brass. Also, look at www.**********.com He is the best online vendor!
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:39 AM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
Lame

To the OP...both KM's and Syrians are very good hookahs. It all comes down to what appeals to you. Check some of the reviews and videos on the forum. There are fanboys for both hookahs and you will get varied opinions lol. It will come down to what you like for looks and cost.
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:40 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I would avoid that rig, in most cases that stem is mediocre. There are much better Syrian rigs out there.

If you like the look of Egyptians, look at stuff like Khalil Mamoon, and Temsah.

Heba Diffusers don't seem to do much but tighten the pull. Not much of a point to them. they won't filter anything out. The point of them, according to the manufacturer, is to make a bunch of tiny bubbles, giving more surface area with which the water can "humidify" the smoke. With a heba on or off, there's no noticeable smoke quality difference, nor flavor.
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Jemmay
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Jemmay Send a message via MSN to Jemmay Send a message via Yahoo to Jemmay Send a message via Skype™ to Jemmay

I would advise against starting off with a multiple-hose chinese rig like i did, no matter how shiny it is at first. Experience has taught me that they tend to fall apart and/or rust after a few months of use, not to mention the restricted airflow.

It seems that most on this forum would recommend a syrian or KM hookah, and I'd recommend going that direction. My KM smokes wonderfully and I have no complaints so far.

Oh, and as far as the diffuser goes, it's easy enough to make one yourself and save a few bucks. I use bendy straws shoved up my downstem. Same principle at a fraction of the cost, plus they're disposable when they get dirty.
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Bogalu
Banned

I have a heba diffuser. I love them! Its not ment to filter anything at all, although it turns those huge bubbles that come out the bottom of your downstem that shake the shit out of your hookah and vibrates your coal from the original position and somtimes rattles the tray into a completely silent vibrationless hookah. No change in flavor though. Still I wish they made them metal because after a while the plastic absorbs the flavors and eventually ruins the diffuser.
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:33 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogalu View Post
Still I wish they made them metal because after a while the plastic absorbs the flavors and eventually ruins the diffuser.
I've never heard this one but wouldn't be surprised in the end. Also keep in mind that most KM/Syrians will have a welding nut on the end of the downstem which provides some diffusion. If you're looking for your hookah to be silent, a heba/homemade diffuser would probably be the best route.
As far as KM/Syrian. Go with whatever you like the most. As long as its not a cheap Chinese stem, you shouldn't have to worry about rust with proper maintenance. Just get a stem that you'll look forward to setting up because you like the way it looks.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:52 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

KM/Syrians/AF/ Temsah you cant go wrong with and most are half your bugdet

Stock up on shisha for the rest
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Scrubmonkey
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Scrubmonkey Send a message via Yahoo to Scrubmonkey

km's are yesterdays news
i guess handmade items are undesirable now....
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Straykat
Hookah Nut

What Scrubbie said.

But, if I had to start over again, Ida got a MYA QT or Bambino, then moved from there. I have KMs and Syrians and i swear, I can get my QT to smoke as good as they do with little warmer smoke. A number of the pipes became very sexy display pieces.
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

I have a KM Kafae that I got for less than $90 and it is the best hookah I've tried so far.
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:46 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
I have a KM Kafae that I got for less than $90 and it is the best hookah I've tried so far.
I'll agree with this, may not be the best looking but a nice, simple, heavy, and very durable stem.
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:21 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayter View Post
+1 KM quality is going way down. I saw a couple of them a few days ago, and they were crap.

Go with a syrian. You cant go wrong with syrian brass. Also, look at www.**********.com He is the best online vendor!
KM's are yesterday's news? KM is the biggest name out of current makers of stems being sold in the US. KM quality going way down? What are you basing this off of? A couple crappy stems you've recently seen? There have been shitty stems from every kind since the dawn of the hookah movement stateside. I would agree that KM quality is going down in the sense that finish quality has been becoming more inconsistent from the batches I've seen but there seems to be a lot more KMs being imported now also. Materials of KM's and build in that regard has been consistent, with the biggest exception I can note is the use of thinner walled stem tubes in some of their lines over time but this in general has been offset by their use of slightly larger gauged stem tubes than KMs of old. Also, KMs are not galvanized steel like has been said here in the past. Anybody with knowledge of materials and a simple magnet would be able to see for themselves.

When you guys say go Syrian, what Syrian are you recommending? Syrian quality, or atleast what is available here, is down and has been down compared to what they used to be. Nour no longer brings in the same quality stems from manufacturers like they used to. From people I've talked to, quality Syrians are still made/can be had but due to expense and difficulty in dealing with those manufacturers, importers stay away and have been getting the cheaper shit. I've said in the past that Al Narwas quality has been going down from what I've seen, ie. the use of cheap practices like multi-piece tubing and crimped internals, but again this can also be the result of importers opting for cheaper goods. I've also said in the past that AFs are made by Al Narwas or atleast a manufacturer that uses the same components that Narwas does, and they too suffer from the same cheap practices. The latest Syrians that were brought in by Amir (IIRC) a little while ago were supposed to be a return to old Syrian quality but unfortunately that was not the case.

Knock KMs all you want but know that there a shit ton of them now so if you are going to talk down the entire brand as if you know it to be true of all them, please provide reasonings. People do read these comments and they can influence people's decisions when they come here for informed comments/opinions.

edit: For the record, I feel the same way about comments like "KM is the best".

Last edited by foibled; October 27th, 2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by foibled View Post
KM's are yesterday's news? KM is the biggest name out of current makers of stems being sold in the US. KM quality going way down? What are you basing this off of? A couple crappy stems you've recently seen? There have been shitty stems from every kind since the dawn of the hookah movement stateside. I would agree that KM quality is going down in the sense that finish quality has been becoming more inconsistent from the batches I've seen but there seems to be a lot more KMs being imported now also. Materials of KM's and build in that regard has been consistent, with the biggest exception I can note is the use of thinner walled stem tubes in some of their lines over time but this in general has been offset by their use of slightly larger gauged stem tubes than KMs of old. Also, KMs are not galvanized steel like has been said here in the past. Anybody with knowledge of materials and a simple magnet would be able to see for themselves.

When you guys say go Syrian, what Syrian are you recommending? Syrian quality, or atleast what is available here, is down and has been down compared to what they used to be. Nour no longer brings in the same quality stems from manufacturers like they used to. From people I've talked to, quality Syrians are still made/can be had but due to expense and difficulty in dealing with those manufacturers, importers stay away and have been getting the cheaper shit. I've said in the past that Al Narwas quality has been going down from what I've seen, ie. the use of cheap practices like multi-piece tubing and crimped internals, but again this can also be the result of importers opting for cheaper goods. I've also said in the past that AFs are made by Al Narwas or atleast a manufacturer that uses the same components that Narwas does, and they too suffer from the same cheap practices. The latest Syrians that were brought in by Amir (IIRC) a little while ago were supposed to be a return to old Syrian quality but unfortunately that was not the case.

Knock KMs all you want but know that there a shit ton of them now so if you are going to talk down the entire brand as if you know it to be true of all them, please provide reasonings. People do read these comments and they can influence people's decisions when they come here for informed comments/opinions.

edit: For the record, I feel the same way about comments like "KM is the best".
i typed up something to this extent but it seems like words are wasted since every thread just repeats the same "KM vs Syrian" arguments
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straykat View Post
What Scrubbie said.

...if I had to start over again, Ida got a MYA QT or Bambino, then moved from there...
+1 I've been using my Mya Petite almost exclusively since I got it and based on it's performance I'm seriously considering either a Bambino or QT. In fact, I found a local source advertising the QT for $35.00.

If I had a $200 budget, I would get one of the above and save the rest for shisha and coals!
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:24 PM
twinturboa51
Hookah Newbie

i would spend the $100 at h-s and get the free mini mya. im telling you thats a great hookah . it just tastes like plastic the first couple times you smoke out of it. you can get a replacement glass base for it if you want to. this way you can spend all of that money on accsy and shisha.
Old October 27th, 2009, 05:41 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
i typed up something to this extent but it seems like words are wasted since every thread just repeats the same "KM vs Syrian" arguments
I've been considering telling people to buy Nour Egyptian hookahs just to throw some drama in the loop.
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:06 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Even I will admit it, finding a solid syrian in the US now is very hard, that being said those 24" rigs and 28" nours that are sold on TH are actually pretty decent syrians, not the best but pretty decent.

KMs vary in quality, that is the nature of being hand made, and considering in a year the amount of KMs have exploded on the American market, you will notice a lot of good ones, and a few shady ones too, sadly. And by that I mean poorer welds etc.

For getting a syrian, at this point, I just say search the internet like a madman, and don't count out Ebay----if youre not getting an AF that is.

Also the H-S arent actually bad, even though they arent as good as they used to be.

I honestly tire of the debate myself, but of course used to argue it a lot but now, its just too hard for the average consumer to acquire an exquisite syrian.

I'm going to say that temsah has been one of the best bang for the buck hookahs i have. the wheat is sexy, and with some brasso its amazing. I chose to deploy with it because I didnt want to risk my syrians getting marred in any way, and I know my temsah is durable and a pretty solid smoke. sadly i wont see it till probably the end of november.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook