Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

A few questions about KM hookahs before I buy

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 28th, 2009, 07:49 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo
Default A few questions about KM hookahs before I buy

Okay, I'm about ready to pick out a KM hookah, but before I do there are a few questions that I'm having difficulty finding the answers to.

First, with my Mya hookah, I clean it out each time it's used. It's easy because it comes apart and I can do it in the kitchen sink. It would appear that the KM hookahs don't come apart. Which, in my case, would make cleaning them each time a huge pain in the butt (especially during winter months). So, is it still necessary to clean the KM hookah each time, or can in be something that's done every couple weeks?

Second, the major reason I'd like a KM is because I hear tell that they have huge hose adapter gauges making the draw really easy. Is this true of all KM hookahs, or are there certain models I should be looking for?

Finally, I'm still not sure what the benefit of the hookah's size is. Especially once you get past like 24 inches. So, I suppose I'm wondering if there's any practical value in going for something bigger, or is it just the 'wow' factor?
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:24 PM
hookahstore
Vendor

Default Re: A few questions about KM hookahs before I buy

1. It depends on how often you use your hookah. I give mine a good scrub about once a week and i smoke just about everyday. Make sure you empty your vase when you're done and you should be fine.

2 and 3. Just about all KMs smoke the same. Of course you'd have to take into account that they are handmade and imperfect.
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:25 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

1. You should still clean any hookah after each use (I'm lazy and clean before use) Most KM's come with a heavy duty cleaning brush that is long and will allow you to do this.
2. True, for the most part, except of any Mini KM's. They're still good but medium or tall KM's all have the same diameter pipe.
3. I like medium to semi tall, meaning under 32 inches, after that it's just bulky. But other say you will get a better smoke the taller it is. I'm not sure if this is true.
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post
Okay, I'm about ready to pick out a KM hookah, but before I do there are a few questions that I'm having difficulty finding the answers to.

First, with my Mya hookah, I clean it out each time it's used. It's easy because it comes apart and I can do it in the kitchen sink. It would appear that the KM hookahs don't come apart. Which, in my case, would make cleaning them each time a huge pain in the butt (especially during winter months). So, is it still necessary to clean the KM hookah each time, or can in be something that's done every couple weeks?
I smoke my KM about twice a day. I usually will dry brush it out at least once a day, usually in the morning before my first smoke, while the coals are heating. About once a week I give it a good wet scrub and wash all the crap out. Once a month it gets a full detailing and polish to keep the brass and copper shiny.

Quote:
Second, the major reason I'd like a KM is because I hear tell that they have huge hose adapter gauges making the draw really easy. Is this true of all KM hookahs, or are there certain models I should be looking for?
As far as I know it's pretty universal. The tight draw is mostly an issue on your chinese pipes. They still haven't figured out how to make a great hookah.

Quote:
Finally, I'm still not sure what the benefit of the hookah's size is. Especially once you get past like 24 inches. So, I suppose I'm wondering if there's any practical value in going for something bigger, or is it just the 'wow' factor?
Taller pipe = cooler smoke, at least in theory. In practice, anything over 30 inches or so is probably entering the land of diminishing returns. Although, I do like the height factor in that it keeps my young son from reaching for the coal. That, and in general, I prefer the aesthetic value of a taller pipe.
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM
opticalshadow
Banned

i find cleaning my KM which is 34" tall to be very easy, the included brushes i got were more then enough to clean both my base and my stem perfectly each time. i do own a 24-29" myan adn even though they can be broken down it doesnt really make cleaning any easier in my eyes, if you go with a phunnel bowl cleaning is even easier, though thats not hookah specific.

as far as how often i clean it, really ill smoke out of it quite a bit without cleaning cause it gets used often, it gets one real though, hot water baking soda lemon juice like hour and half clean every week, not neccary but i do it, then once a day it gerts a nice brush clean takes all of 12 minutes, i also clean before i review.

the hose gauge on the KM is standered size from what i understand and my myan inculded hose worked fine with it, though the km hose is much better. the entire hookah design give it that effortless pull. every KM model will smoke superbly.

height is said to cool the smoke, i persoanly do not like the look of small hookahs (anything under 29"is just tiny, and minis in the 12" area to me are just toys) but to each his own, this ones a 34" my next will be atleast a 42, the bigger the prettier.
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Mutter
Hookah Newbie

i use a 34" KM Trimetal. it works great because i smoke out on my deck, and i can set the base down into the snow (about 2 feet drop from the deck) so my water (or whatever i choose to use in my base) stays icy and the bowl and coals are at arm level while sitting down. makes it perfect for changing coals and shisha.
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:06 PM
opticalshadow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter View Post
i use a 34" KM Trimetal. it works great because i smoke out on my deck, and i can set the base down into the snow (about 2 feet drop from the deck) so my water (or whatever i choose to use in my base) stays icy and the bowl and coals are at arm level while sitting down. makes it perfect for changing coals and shisha.

i so fking envy you right now
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:23 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Thanks folks! That's really helpful. So, I guess the way to go is to just pick one I like and enjoy. I'll probably be looking in the 30 - 36" range.

*************, you'll probably be getting another order from me in the next couple days!
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:36 PM
opticalshadow
Banned

yeah man you can go wrong with a KM *cough*chiller*cough* , and certinly no one better to order from then john.
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:38 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

I clean mine in the bathtub.
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Straykat
Hookah Nut

"So, is it still necessary to clean the KM hookah each time, or can in be something that's done every couple weeks?"

My routine is to alternate a good rinse and a full scrub, every other session. This is enough to prevent a buildup.

"Second, the major reason I'd like a KM is because I hear tell that they have huge hose adapter gauges making the draw really easy. "

The larger (read not mini) KMs have a great, wide open draw. Often the source of compliment and complaint here on HP. Not everyone wants a wide open draw.

"Finally, I'm still not sure what the benefit of the hookah's size is. Especially once you get past like 24 inches."

After say 30 inches, it's a lot of wow. In my experience, it doesn't help much cool smoke or do much more. They do make a throatier sound. They are more difficult to move around, look after, store, wash, polish, and prevent from tipping in a wild crowd.
Old November 1st, 2009, 01:06 PM
ataneja
Hookah Newbie

You're going to love it. I have a few Myas, and they are pretty good too, but I feel the KM is just a completely different ball game. I'm sure this is true of some of the other brands too (MZ, Temsah).

Anyone have problems taking the base off? Mine's still hard to remove.
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:53 PM
krampi
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to krampi

It's not a big deal to clean a bigger hookah in the sink. What I do is to plug one end of the stem with my finger and fill it with water through the other end. I do this 2-3 times. After that I wet the brush and go through the stem from both ends a couple of times. After this I do what I did in the beggining, plug one end with my finger and rinse it out from the other end. It works just as good as when you let water go through the stem. Just this way you don't need to clean it in the bath, or anywhere else where you have more room.
Old November 5th, 2009, 01:17 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

So, just to leave a little update. I just bought the KM and cleaned it for the first time. And, I have to say even though it doesn't come apart, it cleans just fine in the kitchen sink.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook