Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How To Make A Draw More Restricted

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 31st, 2009, 05:23 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006
Default How To Make A Draw More Restricted

I know usual people ask on how to make a draw less restricted, but i have been smoking more and more with a smaller disposable hose, where the draw is more restricted, and i feel i get more taste and thicker clouds out of it.

I usually use a KM and a tangiers phunnel or a egyptian bowl, and i would like to know is they any other way i can restrict the air flow, while using a nammour/razan hose with my KM or is using a smaller hose the only way?

I wanna get a another AF Hookah soon, so that will solve my problems but until then is they anything i can do?
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:13 PM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Default Re: How To Make A Draw More Restricted

I too prefer a slightly restricted draw. A couple things I've done are 1) change the water level. A higher water level can restrict the draw slightly. 2) Poke smaller and/or fewer holes in the foil. I find that if the hole pattern is such that the coals cover the majority of the holes, it can greatly restrict the draw. I've noticed the draw can change as I move the coals around and cover/uncover the holes.

Hope this helps!
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:04 PM
Mende
Hookah Nut

Location: Hometown: Severin,Romania| Living in Manchester, UK
Send a message via Yahoo to Mende

Pack tobacco tighter, poke less holes and make the pipe narrower with tin foil. . in the part that goes in the water. Use a pencil or a pen and wrap foil tightly around teh pipe and part of the pencil .. then yank the pencil out and smoke. Or buy hookah filters. the kind that fit into your mouthpiece.
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:05 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

I have allready raised the water level, im going to try poke smaller holes and see how it goes, but ownt smaller holes burn the shisha quicker?
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:13 PM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelbadboy2006 View Post
I have allready raised the water level, im going to try poke smaller holes and see how it goes, but ownt smaller holes burn the shisha quicker?
Hmmm..smaller holes seem to hold more heat. I don't think it will burn quicker, but you may have to adjust your heat management accordingly.
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:18 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Hmmm..smaller holes seem to hold more heat. I don't think it will burn quicker, but you may have to adjust your heat management accordingly.
Will play around with the holes amd heat next time i smoke.

Hopefully i can figure out a way of making the downstem smaller so its restricts it, and i dont have to play around with how i pack a bowl and heat
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:22 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
but won't smaller holes burn the shisha quicker?
It's the opposite actually. Larger/more holes allow for more heat transfer.

I would avoid messing around with your hookah and bowl setups if all you want to do is restrict flow. The only thing I would do is add a diffuser if you haven't already. Water level doesn't make much of a difference on draw.

I'd recommend concentrating more on the hose so you don't affect how your hookah smokes as much, more so the draw only. Try using something that reduces the hole size of the mouth tip, like a male plastic tip or a piece of electrical tape over the hose tip end with a smaller hole poked in it.
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:30 PM
Mende
Hookah Nut

Location: Hometown: Severin,Romania| Living in Manchester, UK
Send a message via Yahoo to Mende

Just wrap some foil around the part of the stem thatgoes into the water. Or get a HEBA Diffuser - or make one
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:33 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by foibled View Post
It's the opposite actually. Larger/more holes allow for more heat transfer.

I would avoid messing around with your hookah and bowl setups if all you want to do is restrict flow. The only thing I would do is add a diffuser if you haven't already. Water level doesn't make much of a difference on draw.

I'd recommend concentrating more on the hose so you don't affect how your hookah smokes as much, more so the draw only. Try using something that reduces the hole size of the mouth tip, like a male plastic tip or a piece of electrical tape over the hose tip end with a smaller hole poked in it.

Allready added a diffusor makes a tiny difference not much, like the water level, but every little helps.

I like the idea off the hose and electrical tape, the thing i noticed is i get more flavour with the smaller gadge hoses and thicker smoke, same went for when i had my AF hookah which had a slightly more restricted draw.

And when i use the razan the flavour is not as concentrated, and is faint, maybe i need to clean my hoses, but thats what i feel
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:33 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mende View Post
Just wrap some foil around the part of the stem thatgoes into the water. Or get a HEBA Diffuser - or make one
I was thinking about the foil, allready have a diffusor didnt make a massive difference, apart from making it quieter
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:53 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

my af has just as wide of a draw as my km, so i just use a smaller gauged hose, its the best method for a tighter draaw i feel, the other stuff will just screw around with heat management tricks that work for you.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:18 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
I like the idea off the hose and electrical tape, the thing i noticed is i get more flavour with the smaller gadge hoses and thicker smoke, same went for when i had my AF hookah which had a slightly more restricted draw.

And when i use the razan the flavour is not as concentrated, and is faint, maybe i need to clean my hoses, but thats what i feel
I think it has more to do with packing technique. I pack a vortex and egyptian bowl differently on my Mya than I do if I use them on my wider draw stems. I always pack phunnels the same though and I don't like using them on the Mya because I feel it's a waste. If I do I use a different hole pattern though.

I always recommend experimenting to find out what works for you. It's good to revisit things every now and then because you may surprise yourself with things you've overlooked or by what you've just been doing out of habit.
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:25 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by foibled View Post
I think it has more to do with packing technique. I pack a vortex and egyptian bowl differently on my Mya than I do if I use them on my wider draw stems. I always pack phunnels the same though and I don't like using them on the Mya because I feel it's a waste. If I do I use a different hole pattern though.

I always recommend experimenting to find out what works for you. It's good to revisit things every now and then because you may surprise yourself with things you've overlooked or by what you've just been doing out of habit.
Il practice more, it gives me a excuse to smoke lol
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:31 PM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

To make the down stem small follow DMCs vid on how to make a diffuser with a mouth tip but dont make the holes in the mouth tip could work

HP Feedback - http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...hlight=abzy786
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:18 PM
shawnwhyte
Hookah Pro

Just less holes always seems to make a stronger pull for me. Not that I do it on purpose, sometimes I'm lazy and don't feel like spending any more seconds on poking. But I can tell the difference.
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:11 PM
d3t0x
Hookah Newbie

patel, use two (or more) layers of thin foil rather than 1 of the hard type. trust me. hope i helped.
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:20 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3t0x View Post
patel, use two (or more) layers of thin foil rather than 1 of the hard type. trust me. hope i helped.
Doing this will mess around with heat management and i have it figured for all the tobaccos i smoke so dont wanna play around with it anymore

Thanks for the help tho
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:03 PM
AmNite
Hookah Newbie

switch from the nammors/razan to X-L hoses from Shisha King (you can buy them from hookah shop, the shisha shop or hookah royal)... for me it makes a huge difference, nammors/razan are what killed my flavours and smoke thickness. The X-L hoses are perfect sized for me (X-L = Extra Long i think)
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmNite View Post
switch from the nammors/razan to X-L hoses from Shisha King (you can buy them from hookah shop, the shisha shop or hookah royal)... for me it makes a huge difference, nammors/razan are what killed my flavours and smoke thickness. The X-L hoses are perfect sized for me (X-L = Extra Long i think)
Got one 2 days ago, didnt help, thinking of getting the AF hoses
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:27 PM
AmNite
Hookah Newbie

well my EX-L hoses made a huge difference lol also it could be the coals you use, even if its coconara's try using some quick-lights
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:51 PM
joevincett
Hookah Pro

I don't see how quick lights would make a more restricted draw, or why someone would want to use them anyway. But the AF healthy hoses are really nice for what they are.
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:56 PM
krampi
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to krampi

Just try to use a mouthtip It restricts the airflow of the razan hoses.
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Found a simple solution and should work, put foil on top of the stem, and poke little holes init, should restrict the airflow
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook