Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

For my first hookah...is this good?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 11th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Default Re: For my first hookah...is this good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk
Basically the main problem i have with KM is their downstem construction. i'm just gonna say it, it's so shoddy!

Its a crappy metal, that cannot by any means be considered "Stainless". They are almost ALWAYS bent or dented from shipping. There are many cases of jagged jutting metal pieces inside the downstem itself that propose an injury hazard (from experience...). They rust in a heartbeat.

If the downstems were made of Brass, i would love KM's.
Well I am going to TOTALLY disagree with your statements! I had two Khalil Mamouns and still have my KM Amer. I absolutely LOVE it! My goto hookah!

The inner stem core is completely brass, with no jagged edges whatsoever on the stem. The outter shaft is not rusted? I am not sure of the material but I have seen no signs of aging? I use it all the time, like I said it is my goto hookah.

My shaft is not bent or dented due to shipping, however it definitely does have a slight lean to it, which I believe comes from the "hand blown vase/base" Everything about the KM hookahs is handmade.

If I had to buy only one hookah, it would most definitely be a Khalil Mamoun! They ROCK, they are solid, nice to look at, well built, handmade, smoke amazingly and are VERY affordable! you can get a KM large from Pimp Your Hookah, with a discount for $51 that is an amazing deal in my opinion!

I am looking for a new hookah, multi hose, and if I didn't already have a KM I would be looking at those. But since I already have one and had two I am looking at some others to compare to some of the higher end hookahs.

Save yourself some money and save yourself some headache and get yourself a Khalil Mamoun, especially as a first hookah! Magdy Zidan gets a big honorable mention as well ...

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old January 12th, 2008, 11:08 AM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

this is a general reply to this topic, not Sambooka's [A.K.A GOD] post. dont worry about how good your first hookah, i was told by a mate, that its fine to learn on a cheap hookah, cos its a good way to gain skills and know-how with setups etc. just for your next hookah, shop around a bit more, and use the hookahpro.com's discount sodes, and then you may be able to get an awesome hookah for a reasonable price.

happy puffing!
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:03 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

hmm i think it might be a tad bit better to buy a good rig to start out with.

I think the hardest to get working would be an Egyptian, others would disagree (but i think this because they are not designed flawlessly, troubles could arise that the new smoker has no way to assess). I think a Mya Acrylic is perfect, or even a Glass Based Mya. They are quite durable, easy to disassemble/clean, portable, and have very wide downstems to keep your smoke thick.

if you do buy an Egyptian first, i think it's good to read up what people have to say on this forum to get a feel for what you gotta look for and do. They are traditionally functional of course.
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:43 PM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

actually, reassessing my previous post, i would have to agree with zensilk. like a mid-priced is a good starter.
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

+1 on the Mya's... It's true what zensilk says, an egyptian could have design flaws or "hand made mistakes" that the smoker wouldn't know how to counteract for a good session. I advised my friend to get a Mya for his first hookah, because I didn't want him to go through the hassle that I went through to get my Egyptian to smoke good. He bought a Diva, and hasn't had any problems with getting it smoke good since the first day. And he was a total newbie at the time...
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:29 PM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

what was your first hookah?
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:52 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmere868
My first hookah was a 33 inch Traditional Egytpian. If you look in the review section, you'll find it under "33 inch Red Isis". I owned it (and still do) for about a year. Since then I've upgraded to Mya. The only thing I regret, is not having bought a Mya sooner. I really was missing out. The egyptian or "ruby" as I like to call her, is retired. The Mya I have is a 29 inch Blue Column pictured here http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...idproduct=1103

I haven't written a review yet cause I haven't had the time to take pics, but when I do I will. I've had plenty of experience with egyptians and syrians alike, and yet so far, this one I have blows all of them out of the water in performance and quality...
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:54 PM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

whoa thats pretty nice. how much did it cost you?
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:56 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

$200 which is a bit expensive but I thought, what the hell... Might as well purchase the right one and not have to purchase another hookah for a very long time or ever at all...
Old January 12th, 2008, 05:03 PM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

well, it sounds like u defo made the right choice there!!
Old January 12th, 2008, 05:07 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

for sure! 8)
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:02 PM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

did u get it off the internet, or in a shop?
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:18 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

I got it off the link I posted above, hookah-shisha.com I noticed that they had the most variety and best prices for the type of Mya that I was looking for. The local lounge by my house wanted to charge $350 for the same height and type of Mya! I knew they were trying to rip me off, so I decided to research online, and I eventually found hookah-shisha. Also socialsmoke.com just recently started carrying Mya's. The ones they have are also affordable and beautiful...
Old January 12th, 2008, 07:56 PM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

ah good call i suppose. i always prefer to buy things in person, but i hate it when stores know that, and try to rip you off for it
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I don't see how you can beat this for the price!? With the discount code for Hookah Pro Members, you can save an additional 15% Khalil Mamoun Large. That would mean that you could buy a handmade Egyptian for around the $50 range!? That is a good deal, for a first hookah or even for a second or third hookah ... That is just my opinion though, I really like the Khalil Mamouns, especially for the price.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

I personally wouldnt go with a cheap or even a mediocre hookah, all you will get is frustration. You can gain skill and have an outstanding smoke on a great pipe that will last you a long time if you just buy a good one to begin with. Trust me, I speak from experience.
Old January 14th, 2008, 11:20 AM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskysibe
I personally wouldnt go with a cheap or even a mediocre hookah, all you will get is frustration. You can gain skill and have an outstanding smoke on a great pipe that will last you a long time if you just buy a good one to begin with. Trust me, I speak from experience.
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by empire88
So a mya qt is my best bet?
Actually, I've had a QT and it was junk. My experiences with Mya have been pretty bad but some people love that brand. I would avoid the QT. I would suggest a KM, MZ or a Syrian from J & R, Social Smoke or Furat hookah. A rig 26" to 36" is pretty much the way to go in terms of smoke quality and ease of draw in my experience. If you have to have a smaller rig i'd go with Furat's Champaine hookah which you can adopt to use a Egyptian style bowl ( which is 95% of what we all use) with a simple brass hose barb from any hardware store.
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:24 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner
Quote:
Actually, I've had a QT and it was junk. My experiences with Mya have been pretty bad but some people love that brand. I would avoid the QT. I would suggest a KM, MZ or a Syrian from J & R, Social Smoke or Furat hookah. A rig 26" to 36" is pretty much the way to go in terms of smoke quality and ease of draw in my experience. If you have to have a smaller rig i'd go with Furat's Champaine hookah which you can adopt to use a Egyptian style bowl ( which is 95% of what we all use) with a simple brass hose barb from any hardware store.
+1 to that, that rig is pretty gorgeous. Furat hookahs just all look pretty awesome.
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka
Quote:
Basically the main problem i have with KM is their downstem construction. i'm just gonna say it, it's so shoddy!

Its a crappy metal, that cannot by any means be considered "Stainless". They are almost ALWAYS bent or dented from shipping. There are many cases of jagged jutting metal pieces inside the downstem itself that propose an injury hazard (from experience...). They rust in a heartbeat.

If the downstems were made of Brass, i would love KM's.
Well I am going to TOTALLY disagree with your statements! I had two Khalil Mamouns and still have my KM Amer. I absolutely LOVE it! My goto hookah!

The inner stem core is completely brass, with no jagged edges whatsoever on the stem. The outter shaft is not rusted? I am not sure of the material but I have seen no signs of aging? I use it all the time, like I said it is my goto hookah.

My shaft is not bent or dented due to shipping, however it definitely does have a slight lean to it, which I believe comes from the "hand blown vase/base" Everything about the KM hookahs is handmade.

If I had to buy only one hookah, it would most definitely be a Khalil Mamoun! They ROCK, they are solid, nice to look at, well built, handmade, smoke amazingly and are VERY affordable! you can get a KM large from Pimp Your Hookah, with a discount for $51 that is an amazing deal in my opinion!

I am looking for a new hookah, multi hose, and if I didn't already have a KM I would be looking at those. But since I already have one and had two I am looking at some others to compare to some of the higher end hookahs.

Save yourself some money and save yourself some headache and get yourself a Khalil Mamoun, especially as a first hookah! Magdy Zidan gets a big honorable mention as well ...
I've got to go with Smab on this one. When I had my own narghile cafe I bought something like 200 KM's and while a few were damaged in shipping I had no problem getting them replaced at no charge. I never had any trouble with them being used daily for about 3 years. The KM I personally own is like wise a great rig that performs wonderfully day after day, year after year. I've owned several myas and I didn't have a good experience with any of them. Obviously, KM will make bad pieces from time to time as will every other make that has ever and will ever exist. If that happens it shouldn't be a big deal if you got it from a decent vendor as anyone worthy of your business will exchange a rig with a bent down tube.

In the end i'd say that a MZ, KM or well built Syrian will give you years of quality sessions and given that KMs are so cheap these days I'd be hard pressed to not get one if I was in the market for a rig.
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner
Quote:
+1 to that, that rig is pretty gorgeous. Furat hookahs just all look pretty awesome.
Furat al Muktar is a great guy with very good service. I love my ice chamber I got from him although the purge valve is a traditional Syrian style one which I don't like as much as the typical Egyptian set up. The champaine rig is very good for it's size but no wheres near as cool a smoke as you could get from a full sized one. It is the best small rig one can buy in my opinion.
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:29 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

That large SS Syrian, the last one on the Syrian page on Social Smoke looks great. SS Syrians smoke amazing, of course, and it's gold stem is very original.

http://www.shopping.socialsmoke.com/...-SYRIAN16.html

It's fully brass as well, which is a plus.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook