Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Down stem issues

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 5th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Durable_D
Hookah Newbie

Default Down stem issues

Well I bought my first hookah in Sept and its been a blast. Yet recently I ran into a huge pain in the butt with my down stem. I have a Sahara Smoke Subzero hookah. Not only is cleaning it a pain but now my down stem doesn't fit anymore. It seems the threading on the heart(Not sure if I am using that right but I mean were you screw in the stem) is totally stripped. The stem itself is fine and the threading is in good shape. Now when I put it in to attempt to screw it in...it just goes all the way in. I have to do a crazy angle to get it to stay in or use plastic and mini rubber bands to make it grip in the hole. Now I do have a re-threader but if the stem is too small for it then there is no point. Any help would be appreciated. Can't afford a new hookah just yet. Also I haven't used tried plumber thread tape yet since I didn't have any handy.
Old November 5th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Gadfly
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Down stem issues

I have the same problem with my SS cyclone plus everytime I use it it needs a major cleaning due to the oxidation build up. That's why I shelved it and am sticking with my temsah and bambino.
Old November 5th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Bogalu
Banned

Use some plumbers tape. I think its called Teflon Tape, can pick it up at wallmart or anywhere that sells common hardware tools. You thread it around maybe 5 or 6 times real tight so the treads are still noticeable under the Teflon tape. Best part is that Teflon tape itself is used by plumbers as a sort of gasket and it will work the same for you by creating an airtight seal. Once you clean your hookah a few times you'll want to remove the old tape and put on some new stuff, 1 roll of Teflon tape comes with enough tape to keep retapeing your hookah for 6 months to a year. Best part is it only cost a few bucks.
Old November 5th, 2009, 09:58 AM
hookahstore
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogalu View Post
Use some plumbers tape. I think its called Teflon Tape, can pick it up at wallmart or anywhere that sells common hardware tools. You thread it around maybe 5 or 6 times real tight so the treads are still noticeable under the Teflon tape. Best part is that Teflon tape itself is used by plumbers as a sort of gasket and it will work the same for you by creating an airtight seal. Once you clean your hookah a few times you'll want to remove the old tape and put on some new stuff, 1 roll of Teflon tape comes with enough tape to keep retapeing your hookah for 6 months to a year. Best part is it only cost a few bucks.
Beat me to it. Definitely try this out and let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Bogalu
Banned

Lol ya I know I got lucky getting the first fix in. It feels good to help.
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Durable_D
Hookah Newbie

I appreciate the fast responses on this. Yea I was thinking about the Teflon tape myself but didn't have any at the time so i bootlegged it with a piece of a ziplock bag and and mini braid rubberbands. It worked for the session. I will probably try this fix out tonight.

Gadfly, Yea I am having heavy oxidation and need to clean it out every session before and after. I really am not happy with this hookah at all. My first one and the whole package ran me $130 shipped and it has been a pain just after 2 weeks of use. Oh well, live and learn. Gonna spend the money on a good one after xmas hopefully so I can shelf this one as a flower vase lol.
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Durable_D
Hookah Newbie

Finally got around to fixing the down stem. I had to layer on the Teflon Tape pretty thick. Way more than 5 layers lol. It worked so I can't complain. It stays in there but doesn't thread to the point where it stops or tight but it stays so whatever lol. Thanks guys.
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:18 PM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durable_D View Post
Finally got around to fixing the down stem. I had to layer on the Teflon Tape pretty thick. Way more than 5 layers lol. It worked so I can't complain. It stays in there but doesn't thread to the point where it stops or tight but it stays so whatever lol. Thanks guys.
and on your next hookah make sure to get one that doesn't have threading so you don't have this problem
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Durable_D
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronSA View Post
and on your next hookah make sure to get one that doesn't have threading so you don't have this problem
Well thought I could get away with avoiding a very noob question but I can't resist now lol. So most hookahs don't have threaded down stems? Lol yea I only used ones at the local lounge and my friends but never had to clean any so I never really thought about it. I thought my hookah breaking down so well would be a perk but I regret it and plus the stem has parts that bulb ut and are hollow that are hard to clean well. Definitely gonna do better research on my next hookah.
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:15 AM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durable_D View Post
Well thought I could get away with avoiding a very noob question but I can't resist now lol. So most hookahs don't have threaded down stems? Lol yea I only used ones at the local lounge and my friends but never had to clean any so I never really thought about it. I thought my hookah breaking down so well would be a perk but I regret it and plus the stem has parts that bulb ut and are hollow that are hard to clean well. Definitely gonna do better research on my next hookah.
yeah the ones with threads are nice when you first get them, but they will break down eventually over time and that's not good. you want something that will last without having to do ghetto modifications like wrapping tape on it lol. and most hookahs have rubber grommets
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook