Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Nicotine Withdrawl?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 5th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Bogalu
Banned

Default Nicotine Withdrawl?

When I get off work I smoke all night, from 5pm to 10pm and its straight tangiers and I never buzz anymore. Now at home while smoking I feel relatively well. Although when I wake up in the morning and go to work about 30 min into the day and on all the way till I get home and start smoking I feel like shit. I mean I have headaches, my orientation is off, I feel slightly dizzy, and lethargic along with angering easily and I am anxious. This has all been going on for 4 or so months. Could I be going through withdrawl while at work for the lack of nicotine?
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:13 PM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Nicotine Withdrawl?

it could be withdrawal. why not try scaling back the amount that you smoke when you get home, or get something that will help you during the day (i dip)
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Bogalu
Banned

I don't want to do anything at work. Unless its hookah and that wont go over well in a government position. lol Although this shit is killing me, it feels as though i got the flu but no sniffels or sneezes or plugged up nose for like 4 months. Ever since I bumped up the amount I smoke its affected me at work I think. Is there even enough nicotine in tobacco to develope withdrawls from it?
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:48 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogalu View Post
. Is there even enough nicotine in tobacco to develope withdrawls from it?
LOL well smoking 5 hours a night every night does tend to increase your nicotine levels in your body.
Try cutting back on the the length of time you smoke so your body will gradully stop craving the nicotine so much.

5 hours is a long time to smoke man. but if it works for you...
Old November 5th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Bogalu
Banned

The withdraws make my vision fuzzy... I HATE THIS SHIT! but I love hookah... WHY PUT ME IN THIS DILEMMA MY TANGIERS GOD?!?!

(Note: I'm not praying to Tangiers creater Eric, no offense of course. lol)
Old November 5th, 2009, 03:05 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

Damn dude, yea man cut back a bit and you'll fell better. Smoking 5 hours a night, every night is a lot. For me I never smoke more than 1-1.5hrs at a time 2-3 days a week. The half-life of nicotine is 2 hours but for you there is so much in you body and you've become so used to it that by the time its all been metabolized you body doesn't feel right without it.
Old November 5th, 2009, 03:33 PM
opticalshadow
Banned

cut back and man though it, smoking hookah is about relaxing, useing it to get a fix is just disrespecting it.
Old November 5th, 2009, 03:42 PM
WinBigLoseBig
Hookah Newbie

[FONT=Verdana]5 hours every night is a lot I think. I mean in the past I have had some weeks where it was like 3 -5 hours every night. Now I just can't do it anymore for various reasons. Also like you all I was smoking was Tangiers (never Lucid), but I never had any withdrawal symptoms. Most that would happen was that I wanted to smoke all the time. I haven’t felt like that since then and it was only during the time when I was smoking a lot of Tangiers that I had the feeling that I just HAD to smoke.[/FONT]
Old November 5th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Bogalu
Banned

Weird thing is I don't have a craving for it. Like I don't want to smoke or need to smoke while at work. I'll smoke like I did last night tonight and see if I feel better than I do right now and if so then it's withdrawls. But if the symptoms dont reside then maybe its somthing else. I'm gonna take out my contacts when I get home. Maybe that will help.
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Lonelyboy
Hookah Nut

"I mean I have headaches, my orientation is off, I feel slightly dizzy, and lethargic along with angering easily and I am anxious."

headaches, orientation off and dizzy is also symptoms of CO poisoning (carbon monoxide poisoning).... and the thing with that is that it takes a while to your body to recover (to get oxygen back into your red blood corpuscles instead of carbon dioxide)...

If you smoke every day around 5 hours straight (way to much) you should get alot of carbon dioxide in your body, but not letting your body replacing it with oxygen, and i think that could even be dangerous for you...
You are kind of smothering yourself from the inside...
It is possible to get ******* headache of it and most of the symptoms you described, and other symptoms like i got myself ,seizure and heavy fainting along with killer headache, but this should just be a problem when smoking heavyily (around more then 1-2 hours straight)...

of course the nicotin could add up too so just one more reason to get a healthier way to smoke your hookah

wish you a healthy smoking
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Straykat
Hookah Nut

I don't want to be the devils advocate-pusher but, if you truly feel that only smoking can keep you functional, consider a substitue till you get back to it and work out a reasonable reduction plan. Not being able to function at work should be the line where you say okay, I better knock it off.

Substitutes could be NRT products like gum, spray, patch, suppository. My weapon of choice is the e-cig. Consider these only if you determine that your dysfunction is nicotine related and not caffine or some ailment that a doctor would be concerned about.
Old November 6th, 2009, 03:01 AM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straykat View Post
Substitutes could be NRT products like gum, spray, patch, suppository.
wait...what? hahah
Old November 6th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Bogalu
Banned

I took out my contacts last night and only smoked for 2 1/2 hours. I feel better so far. We'll see how the rest of the day treats me. lol
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Bogalu
Banned

Its CO poisoning! I looked it up and the symptoms I have read out like a book on it. I'm gonna reduce my smoking to a bowl or 2 a day. Im not smoking more than 3 hours. Funny thing is, I didn't have this problem till I started smoking ******* Hookah QL coals. I used to always smoke 3 kings QL's and a few months back I started smoking ******* Hookah and now Im all screwed up, literally. I'm taking a break from the ******* hookah coals all together and I'm gonna start trying my Natural Belgians. Maybe the CO intake in those is significatly less. Sound like a good plan guys?
Old November 6th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Bogalu
Banned

Well I don't have much of a headache anymore although the dizziness is still there and in addition so is the lightheadedness. Although I think the Belgian coal helped. I'll keep you guys updated on my ongoing struggle with CO Poisoning.
Old November 7th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Dakins
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtizzle View Post
wait...what? hahah
Old November 8th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Lonelyboy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Its CO poisoning! I looked it up and the symptoms I have read out like a book on it. I'm gonna reduce my smoking to a bowl or 2 a day. Im not smoking more than 3 hours. Funny thing is, I didn't have this problem till I started smoking ******* Hookah QL coals. I used to always smoke 3 kings QL's and a few months back I started smoking ******* Hookah and now Im all screwed up, literally. I'm taking a break from the ******* hookah coals all together and I'm gonna start trying my Natural Belgians. Maybe the CO intake in those is significatly less. Sound like a good plan guys?
could be an idea with changing coal because there are alot of CO coming out when heating the coal...try to do this outside or at least with some windows open...dont be near the stove when you are heating could also be an idea....then there is the fact that CO comes when you burns the tobaco too so the smoke is filled with it so it is and idea to have shorter session and not as many draws per session either...cool down a bit...hmm..i was a bit like you...and didnt have any sympotms the first 3 years..but for some weeks ago i got a seizure because of that so i think you can get more sensitive to it too....

take care man and glad i could be to some help...

ohh have heard that a "wind shield" on the bowl could help reduce the CO from the coals...

but still...shorter sessions is the key point here..and take at least some hours between every bowl.......just a suggestion
Old November 8th, 2009, 10:32 AM
esteban
Hookah Pro

Hookah dehydrates you, drink more water.
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:21 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ya probably withdrawals, sounds a lot like hard core caffeine withdrawal. only solutions are scale back the amount of hookah you smoke or get a nicotine sub for during the day. there are a lot of options, snuff, dip, snus, nicotine gum. snuff supposedly is the safest alternative with no real effects found supposedly.

there is also, like mentioned, dehydration, and maybe some excessive co2/co. if it really is just co/co2 a full natural coal will be better but ive never heard of issues with properly lit CH QLs (then again most people dont use 15-30 in a night)

-matt
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Quote:
I recently picked up a CO monitor and I've noticed that QL coals in general produce slightly more CO than naturals. This is in use, not counting lighting. I've used 3 Kings and Golden QL coals, and CH and Starlight naturals. In a normal session with up to 3 coals burning, the CO level never gets "dangerous" with any of the coals however the 3 Kings produce the most and the CH naturals produce the least.
Using any of the above in back-to-back sessions, the CO level can become significantly elevated. Even if the CO level is "safe", if you are exposed to it for a relatively long period of time it can accumulate in your bloodstream and cause problems.

BTW, I recently tried the aFire coconut BBQ coals and found that while they don't seem to be very well suited for use with hookah, they do NOT produce any more CO than hookah-specific coals.
Old November 8th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
When I get off work I smoke all night, from 5pm to 10pm and its straight tangiers and I never buzz anymore. Now at home while smoking I feel relatively well. Although when I wake up in the morning and go to work about 30 min into the day and on all the way till I get home and start smoking I feel like shit. I mean I have headaches, my orientation is off, I feel slightly dizzy, and lethargic along with angering easily and I am anxious. This has all been going on for 4 or so months. Could I be going through withdrawl while at work for the lack of nicotine?
First off, smoking for 5 hours a day is a terrible idea. Smoking entails a significant set of risk factors for various forms of cancer and numerous cardio-vascular & cardio-pulmonary disease and all of those risk factors seem to correspond rather closely with consumption rates. The bottom line is that i'd view such consumption as extremely destructive.

It is also apparent that you have subjected your self to CO poisoning to a dramatically severe extent and plenty of people pass out from such over use. Frankly I think you risk some very serious long term consequences if you persist exposing yourself to such CO levels.

As to nicotine poisoning I would presume that any unwashed tobacco regularly used for 5 hours a day could cause such a problem. Honestly I don't like being dependent upon anyone or anything thing for the simple reason that my enjoyment of life would be lessened greatly by the symptoms you describe as would my ability to function.

What I suggest:

Stop smoking altogether for no less then a week, preferably two to let your body lose the CO and recover. If you find yourself faced with great cravings for smoke and a continuation of the symptoms you mentioned then i'd suggest you quite smoking permanently since such indications would suggest that you have become dependent or addicted.

If on the other hand after a week or two you feel a desire to smoke but none of the symptoms you described then by all means continue smoking but do so in a sensible fashion.

By sensible I mean:

1) Never smoke more then 60-90 minutes a day. Also, take a day or two per week and simply don't smoke on those days so you can see how you function when you smoke and when you don't.
2) Avoid inhalation and instead focus on the taste.
3) Never use anything but fully lighted natural coals.
4) wait 20-30 seconds between draws and stop altogether every 20 minutes or so for three to five minutes.
5) Always smoke on a full stomach and have plenty of liquids (no alcohol) when you smoke.
Old November 8th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
First, please read my other post in this thread.

Quick lights produce a lot more CO then natural coals from what I have read and from own little half assed experiments. While the levels of CO produced by natural coals ( and QLs) vary by brand I doubt that they do so dramatically and I doubt that ******* naturals are significantly worse then any other natural brand in terms of CO. What I suggest is making sure your coals are fully lighted before smoking and following the recommendations I made in my last post.
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Yaotzin
Hookah Newbie

Nicotine poisoning is extremely unlikely, even so far as to say not possible in the scenario you've described. Nicotine poisoning requires 40-60mg of nicotine in humans, the common cigarette harbors on averages 1.7mg of nicotine. In order for you to overdose you would have to be wearing a patch, chewing gum, and smoking a cigarette.

now obviously sisha is a bit different. Extended sessions I do find myself with a nice buzz that will last me half the day. (about a 2-3 hour session at my local lounge and i won't be craving a cigarette for at least 6 hours. For someone who's smoked 12+ years it's pretty impressive)

However like others have suggested, it is most likely CO poisoning. i have experiance similar issues when smoking cigarettes in a small closed room for nearly whole days at a time. migraine type headaches, chest pains, shortness of breath, being unable to focus your eyes. (i do all of my hookah smoking outdoors so I haven't had this experience with hookah)

So the easy fix would be to open windows, set up fans, after smoking for a bout a hour or two let your coals die and take a break for a few hours. Stay hydrated, have something to snack on before or during your sessions. If you start to feel lightheaded stop, go outside, and get some fresh air.

Also for future reference. Nicotine withdrawals include such things as the shakes, irritability, loss of appetite, and strong cravings. Typically I've found from smoking 1 pack a day it wont really take into full effect until the 2nd or third day, except for the cravings which will hit in a few hours.

Enjoy your hookah responsibly =)
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Biloshambles
Hookah Nut

5 hours is too much, don't desensitize yourself to the pleasures of hookah smoking!
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:52 PM
anomiexdoll
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to anomiexdoll Send a message via MSN to anomiexdoll

I agree, 5 hours is wayyy tooo much. Try cutting back some, if that doesn't help i'd say it might be the coals. Someone else was having problems on here : http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16408 due to CO poisoning
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook