Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Where do you buy shisha locally?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 9th, 2009, 06:36 PM
LoQuik
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Where do you buy shisha locally?

I order online for 90% of my orders and the only time that I actully buy from a local shop is when I wanna try a 50g of some HH and thats because my local shops ONLY carry HH.

sucks...
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:36 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo

I've started a suggestion thread to bridge the gap between this discussion of where to buy supplies locally and the potential to create a repository of said information. Here's the thread:
http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16424
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:53 PM
BTBAMordecai
Hookah Pro

I buy mine online or i go to my headshops which sell HH, al waha, AF, and Havana
Old November 9th, 2009, 09:20 PM
4d1ct3d
Hookah Nut

Here in Portugal I can only get old dry nakhla so I buy online from us stores
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:09 PM
c000weee
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to c000weee Send a message via Yahoo to c000weee

Dearborn, MI. is where do ALL my hookah shopping. Never ordering online again. $4.99 250g of Nakhla yes mizo also, $12.99 250g Starbuzz, $7.99 250g Al Fakher, $8.99 Coconarna haha you get the point. KM's and everything else also. Theres endless amounts of hookah stores. Family dollar fully stocked with hookah stuff ha
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:39 PM
MonkeyFresh
Hookah Newbie

I'm liking that idea of a repository for all thinks hookah/shisha retail related, it would be a great help to know of places I can run too and grab supplies if i happen to be running low
I have yet to find any places locally though that sell shisha, There is a teamo 30 minutes away that stocks havana at 2.95 for 50g.... and at this mall thats about the same distance away there is a cart that sells tobacco products, and has AF 250 gram tins for $20... pretty bad...
I live on Long Island in New York btw
anyone know of any places in Queens? or anywhere on the island, where I'm located I have access to both, so i consider myself lucky
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:58 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by c000weee View Post
Dearborn, MI. is where do ALL my hookah shopping. Never ordering online again. $4.99 250g of Nakhla yes mizo also, $12.99 250g Starbuzz, $7.99 250g Al Fakher, $8.99 Coconarna haha you get the point. KM's and everything else also. Theres endless amounts of hookah stores. Family dollar fully stocked with hookah stuff ha
I'm so bitter and jealous right now.

Some place like that must exist in the hidden nooks and crannies of Washington DC. Come on people! Let's get this retailer repository pushed through! Afterall, increasing business to local retailers will inevitably allow them to stock a wider variety of products we all love. And in the wake of more competition between online and local retail shops, prices will be driven down across the board!

In case anyone missed it, there's a thread started about it here:
http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16424
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:20 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

bp wtf! jk, i feel the same way as a consumer, local places are the best if you can get to them. it seems as though any area with any type of middle eastern market will have at least some nak and at a good price. supermarkets are the best as they dont mark up as much, they just want to move everything as quick as possible. this is great. in defense of any online vendors that may have higher prices online vendors may have better selction and lack of sales tax, but as a consumer i love the convenience ot the touch/feel aspects of stores.
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:54 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
bp wtf! jk, i feel the same way as a consumer, local places are the best if you can get to them. it seems as though any area with any type of middle eastern market will have at least some nak and at a good price. supermarkets are the best as they dont mark up as much, they just want to move everything as quick as possible. this is great. in defense of any online vendors that may have higher prices online vendors may have better selction and lack of sales tax, but as a consumer i love the convenience ot the touch/feel aspects of stores.
Oh, crap! John caught us! Everyone scatter!

For me, when it comes to this type of thing, I usually don't think of what I want before I want to have it. So thinking about all the different kinds of shisha I'm going to want in the future is always tricky for me. I end up overbuying or underbuying and either way I end up frustrated.

I like having a local shop because it lets me think of something I want to try in the morning and by evening have it ready to go. I would rather drive 45 minutes to buy the stuff than spend 10 bucks on shipping and wait four or five days to get it.

Personally, I would still prefer to make my major buys online because of the selection and price. But for accessories and shisha, I would definitely prefer to shop locally; shipping rates with them can get out of hand. A $9 box of Nakhla turns into a $17 box. So, to make it even out, you have to buy everything you need in one order. Say you have plenty of everything you need, but then break your bowl. Unless you're buying a bunch of other stuff at the same time, you'll be paying $25 for a $16 bowl. Or, as has been my case a few times now, everything you want is not all carried by the same retailer. You can very quickly quadruple the cost of shipping.

I'd just rather not fuss with shipping at all. Especially since, in my experience, the shisha and accessories usually seem to be just as much or cheaper than the online competitors. Plus, increasing competition is pretty much always good for the customers.
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

I don't buy any locally anymore. Thanks to Texas lawmakers I can't afford local hookah tobacco.
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:05 AM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

theres a little liquor store over here that sells jewels, al waha and sometimes 50g boxes of nakhla DA; along with crappy quicklights. i straight up told him that if he started carrying nakhla sweet melon and jasmine, i would buy all of it. he didn't really seem to care though.
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:07 AM
lilbrummy87
Hookah Nut

Id have to agree with the Texas tax's. Its sad to see starbuzz go up even more in price. I actually went checking markets today in the Dallas Texas area and could not find any that carried shisha. The lounges in my area sell Nak for $20 a 250 gram and that is just not worth it to me. Though that is better then $20 for a 100 gram of starbuzz.

Does anyone know any shop is Dallas that sells more then just starbuzz? I need more Nakhla!!!! I found a cigar shop that had hookah hookah but only the 1 bowl type packages.
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbrummy87 View Post
Id have to agree with the Texas tax's. Its sad to see starbuzz go up even more in price. I actually went checking markets today in the Dallas Texas area and could not find any that carried shisha. The lounges in my area sell Nak for $20 a 250 gram and that is just not worth it to me. Though that is better then $20 for a 100 gram of starbuzz.

Does anyone know any shop is Dallas that sells more then just starbuzz? I need more Nakhla!!!! I found a cigar shop that had hookah hookah but only the 1 bowl type packages.
In Irving there is a market called Zamzam, they sell Nakhla. Also if you go just a bit further into Hurst there is a store called Giza. They have loads of Nakhla for 15$ or less a 250. Which is still idiotic.
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:16 AM
lilbrummy87
Hookah Nut

That was a lot faster then I expected anyone form Texas to see. Thank you Kwikw!
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbrummy87 View Post
That was a lot faster then I expected anyone form Texas to see. Thank you Kwikw!
Most welcome. If you go to Giza, make sure make a trip next door to Al Wadi and enjoy lunch or dinner with a hookah set up. They have a patio to enjoy great food and smoke. Or at least last time I was there they did.
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:31 AM
texashookah
**~ Supporting Vendor ~**

We're over here in the Houston area. We get clients from Woodlands, Pearland, Katy, Sugarland and all over. We've even gotten people as far as Galveston and College Station come down to our store. But if your not in our area the best local stores would be Mediterranean grocery stores (as someone mentioned above). They usually stock Al Fakher, Al Waha, Nakhla, and most over seas shisha brands. They usually are not overpriced like most tobacco stores that have little variety.
Old November 11th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Shushyne4np2ne
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Shushyne4np2ne Send a message via Yahoo to Shushyne4np2ne

I get my hookah tobacco from a place called Main Street Tobacco. They carry SB, Havana, Fantasia, Golden Layalina, Layalina and Afzal and Soex. I've tried and tried to get them to carry Nakhla, but they aren't satisfied that it's good. The people that work there are rather uppity about their hookah knowledge (Which is slim to none. Had to tell them about funnel and vortex bowls) and their prices are rather high as well, so I stay away from them at whatever cost.

How high are their prices do you ask? an AF large solid: 240 dollars.

Old November 11th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Ashton
Hookah Nut

The only places here in Green Bay, WI only sell Rosetta and HH. Its all crap.
Old November 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM
dustpan73
Hookah Newbie

I don't
closest place to me to buy decent shisha is in wichita, which is about an hour away, so most of my purchases come from online
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Azaki23
Hookah Nut

Astoria, Queens is your best bet for hookah shopping, there are an endless amount of hookah shops so prices are going to be cheap due to the competition over there
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Azaki23
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyFresh View Post
I'm liking that idea of a repository for all thinks hookah/shisha retail related, it would be a great help to know of places I can run too and grab supplies if i happen to be running low
I have yet to find any places locally though that sell shisha, There is a teamo 30 minutes away that stocks havana at 2.95 for 50g.... and at this mall thats about the same distance away there is a cart that sells tobacco products, and has AF 250 gram tins for $20... pretty bad...
I live on Long Island in New York btw
anyone know of any places in Queens? or anywhere on the island, where I'm located I have access to both, so i consider myself lucky
Astoria, Queens is your best bet for hookah shopping, there are an endless amount of hookah shops so prices are going to be cheap due to the competition over there
Old November 11th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Jride
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jride

The owners at every smoke shop in my town are related somehow (one dude is cousins with the other, one is another dudes brother in law, and there are like 6 smoke shops) so unfortunately they all get their inventory from the same people which means every shop in town carrys Starbuzz and some other no name shisha brand (which doesnt bother me cus I been smokin hookah for 2 years and have never tried a different brand but would absolutely love to). But the smoke shop owner at this one place I go 2 hooks it up way better than online deals.

He gives me 250g of starbuzz for 16.99 and he sells kilos (1000g) for $55. One time he was out of Kilo's and just let me choose Four 250g tins for the same price. Although I am sick of smoking small quicklights and wanna try ******* Hookah quicklights or something else. I might make an online order soon.
Old November 16th, 2009, 12:13 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

For those of you in Northern Virginia, I came across this little gem of a shop last night. It's call Aphrodite Greek Imports. They sell Hookahs and Shisha. They stock mostly Nakhla, but they have a handful of AF also, as well as some Starbuzz. Prices are pretty good. Nakhla is $5.99, AF is $11.99, and Starbuzz is $18.99.

They carry a mix of Mya hookahs and generic Chinese hookahs. After quickly inspecting the generics, they seem to be of a higher quality than normal (i.e., the parts are heavy, they appear to seal well). All that said, the hookah prices are phenomenal. 24" Mya Saray is $75, as opposed to $120 on H-S. I don't know if it comes with the extras or not. Smaller hookahs start at $20. If absolutely nothing else, that's great for someone who wants to try it out but isn't sure they want to sink a couple hundred dollars.

There's also a private upper-deck that has a dozen or so vintage hookahs that aren't publicly for sale because they need some reconditioning (i.e., new bb in purge valve, new grommet, bowl, etc). Most of them look like solid brass egyptian hookahs. Some I suspected were KM, but I couldn't read it. You'll have to ask if you can go up and look at it. If you're looking for something classic or unique, you might get a good deal here.

Storefront:

Hookahs:

Shisha stock:

Now, wouldn't it be great if there were an easy place to find local shops like this?
Old November 16th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

I buy my shisha from a local Halal food grocery store. Enless I want something other than Nahkla double apple =P. For any equipment/ special shisha flavors/ and coals! **********.com
Old November 16th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Alxlee0002
Hookah Newbie

i live in the silver spring MD area too and i found a great place out on rockville pike ..check it out... http://www.samcafeandmarket.com/
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook