Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

why does tangiers from the retailers cost so much more

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 9th, 2009, 01:46 PM
armenakadino
Hookah Newbie

Default why does tangiers from the retailers cost so much more

At tangiers the phunnel bowls cost 8 dollars and 250 grams of flavor is 10 dollars online im seeing everyone charges 15 dollars a bowl and 15 for flavor if your buying a few things plus shipping that can add up quickly
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Default Re: why does tangiers from the retailers cost so much more

because people can charge what they want?

Old November 9th, 2009, 01:51 PM
onewhoshanks
Hookah Newbie

the actual tangiers store?

i would guess online stores have to get their profits so thats why its a little more expensive
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

It's mark up. A simple concept that is integral to the free trade society.
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:59 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

I'm guessing delivery and other such costs, especially with relatively small stores...

Plus the fact that people will pay for it, so why miss out on the profit?
Competition is supposed to drive prices down, but seeing that supplies/sources are limited, they don't.
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Bogalu
Banned

Those tangiers bowls are the cheap chinese knockoffs and the tangiers tobacco its cheaper because of the low drive to purchase it in retail stores. Everyone wants the candy and gumdrop starbuzz which leaves tangiers little to no desire for it. It doesn't label itself that great. Which is fine for me but for the vast majority of people, they will buy what catches there eye and starbuzz does that well. Online there are a lot of retailers that don't have much competition. So since they try to overcharge me, I buy my tangiers straight from eric himself and buy Kilos at a time. Usually between 3-5 kilos. Untill these vendors on this site learn that I wont overpay for tobacco I can get for nearly half the price from the manufacturer then they will continue to loose out on my business.
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:33 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

*sigh*

What Eric sells for at his store is pretty close to what wholesale prices are. If vendors sold at prices found at the lounge, they wouldn't make any money.

There is a reason why people say Eric hooks the locals up.
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Bogalu
Banned

No, I live in Silver spring. I knew him back in vegas like 2 years ago and still got his number in my phone. When I am low in stock, I call, and place a HUGE order so he gives me the discount. I would expect the same from an online vendor, so if they want to be competitive, so be it. If not, they will continue to loose out on prolly over $1500 bucks a year which I could be spending on them. Once in a while I might drop a $100 or so with hookah john if I cant wait for eric to call me back, but other than that its strictly eric.

Last edited by Bogalu; November 9th, 2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:53 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by foibled View Post
*sigh*

What Eric sells for at his store is pretty close to what wholesale prices are. If vendors sold at prices found at the lounge, they wouldn't make any money.

That's the advantage of making your own product and having pride in it.
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Bogalu
Banned

Quote:
*sigh*

I'm not saying they don't deserve to profit from it, 1 or 2 bucks I can understand, but they are turning it around for like double what you can get if from on other websites and the manufacturer. Be fair and I'll support you, try to rape me in these outlandish prices and you'll loose my business, I'm being fair, I'm wondering when the vendors will be?
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:59 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogalu View Post
No, I live in Silver spring. I knew him back in vegas like 2 years ago and still got his number in my phone. When I am low in stock, I call, and place a HUGE order so he gives me the discount. I would expect the same from an online vendor, so if they want to be competitive, so be it. If not, they will continue to loose out on prolly over $1500 bucks a year which I could be spending on them. Once in a while I might drop a $100 or so with hookah john if I cant wait for eric to call me back, but other than that its strictly eric.
For him it's the fact that he makes the product himself and thus sells it for a good price to those that order directly from him. When he sells it to other vendors he sells it for almost the same price that he sells to individual customers. That means that to make a profit on Tangiers they need to mark it up. Technically if you have a problem with other vendors marking the price up it is because they buy it for almost the same price you do and thus it is because of Eric's decision. It's not a bad thing and I am not saying that it is a mistake, I am just trying to explain why the vendors you seem to think are trying to rip you off are charging what they do.
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:04 PM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

he probbably makes a bit. people need to live its like you can get KMs from egyept for cheaper yet they are sold for double the price in the US.

HP Feedback - http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...hlight=abzy786
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:06 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
I'm not saying they don't deserve to profit from it, 1 or 2 bucks I can understand, but they are turning it around for like double what you can get if from on other websites and the manufacturer. Be fair and I'll support you, try to rape me in these outlandish prices and you'll loose my business, I'm being fair, I'm wondering when the vendors will be?
You must not understand anything behind pricing in the hookah world at all then. Perhaps you should try and estimate how much you would need to make on products to just cover the costs of staying in business.

Double from other websites? What sites sell for as low as Eric does? Comparing retail prices to near wholesale prices direct from the manufacturer is not fair on your part.
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Bogalu
Banned

No, the vendors deserve profit. Im not saying that they dont. I would buy and continue to buy tangiers from any vendor that would be willing to cut his or her profits down to $1.50 a 250g bag for mass orders (over 3 kilos) for the convienience of fast and reliable ordering (eric is extremely slow at returning phone calls) Its fair for them and myself for a mass order. I mean thats 18 bucks of profit for 15 min of work to put 3 kilos of tobacco in a box and put a shipping address on it. Thats a lot of money for the little bit of time involved. And it works out for both of us.
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Bogalu
Banned

Quote:
You must not understand anything behind pricing in the hookah world at all then. Perhaps you should try and estimate how much you would need to make on products to just cover the costs of staying in business.

Double from other websites? What sites sell for as low as Eric does? Comparing retail prices to near wholesale prices direct from the manufacturer is not fair on your part.
Money talks and Bullsh*t walks. If I'm placing a mass order, then take care of me. If I was placing an order for 1 or 2 250g bags of tangiers then I wouldn't expect to get a great deal, thats alright. But when I place orders this big, I don't just want a great price, I expect it. And thats business in its purest form. Do you understand business? Half these vendors have dropshippers. Or operate out of theyre own home. These aren't high profile business' and shouldn't be treating customers like they are. The operating costs aren't as much as you think. Im offering $1.50 over cost (after shipping of course) a 250 gram bag for mass orders. Thats fair. And trust me, the vendors know it.
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:18 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Are you kidding me? Are you even considering what it costs vendors to get the tobacco shipped to them in the first place?
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Bogalu
Banned

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Are you even considering what it costs vendors to get the tobacco shipped to them in the first place?
Thats why I said $1.50 ****AFTER**** cost and shipping, in other words, after all costs involved with the product. It means I'm offering 1.50 of pure profit per bag in excess of 12 bags at a time.
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:23 PM
armenakadino
Hookah Newbie

I can understand the mark up has to be done to keep the businesses running but double the price is crazy. The mark up is enough that if I spend 100 dollars online for tangiers vs the store id save enough money to have enough money to drive down to tangiers from la and have enough for a round of hookah, rental car and gas
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:24 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
No, the vendors deserve profit. Im not saying that they dont. I would buy and continue to buy tangiers from any vendor that would be willing to cut his or her profits down to $1.50 a 250g bag for mass orders (over 3 kilos) for the convienience of fast and reliable ordering (eric is extremely slow at returning phone calls) Its fair for them and myself for a mass order. I mean thats 18 bucks of profit for 15 min of work to put 3 kilos of tobacco in a box and put a shipping address on it. Thats a lot of money for the little bit of time involved. And it works out for both of us.
You do realize they probably spend more than that on shipping to their own stores in the first place, right?

Just speaking generally, it does not benefit them to make such huge discounts for people buying large amounts. It benefits you but the amount they move in a certain period of time is not what matters. It's the profit. If you are selling 3 kilos of tobacco and only making around 10 dollars worth of profit after initial shipping it's just silly. And that is not even factoring in costs of business like web site costs, advertising and everything else it takes to run your own business. Then there are employees if you are not running the entire business on your own.
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Bogalu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenakadino View Post
I can understand the mark up has to be done to keep the businesses running but double the price is crazy. The mark up is enough that if I spend 100 dollars online for tangiers vs the store id save enough money to have enough money to drive down to tangiers from la and have enough for a round of hookah, rental car and gas
THANK YOU ARMENAKADINO! Finally someone sees my point, its not fair to the customer to be charged this much. No other business from shop to service is this lucritive so what gives you the right to be different?! NOTHING! Thats why I don't buy from you! I hope everyone looks for alternitive vendors that are willing to give fair prices for those who purchase mass orders. After all, you vendors expect discounts when you purchase in bulk from your suppliers so what makes it different between the vendor to customer relationship?
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:28 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenakadino View Post
Then go ahead and do it. Nobody is stopping you.
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Bogalu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
You do realize they probably spend more than that on shipping to their own stores in the first place, right?

Just speaking generally, it does not benefit them to make such huge discounts for people buying large amounts. It benefits you but the amount they move in a certain period of time is not what matters. It's the profit. If you are selling 3 kilos of tobacco and only making around 10 dollars worth of profit after initial shipping it's just silly. And that is not even factoring in costs of business like web site costs, advertising and everything else it takes to run your own business. Then there are employees if you are not running the entire business on your own.
No the profit is closer to 20. Shipping is not as much as you'd think it would be. Did you know you can ship 150 pounds worth of merchandise for under 70 bucks if you go through the correct shippers? Second, websites and advertising is an associated cost of running a business, you don't take it out on the customers, you take it out of your profit. If I buy 3 kilos of tobacco 6 times a year then thats close to 110 bucks in profit for little bit of effort. If thats not enough then fine, because to eric, that is MORE than enough.
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:33 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
THANK YOU ARMENAKADINO! Finally someone sees my point, its not fair to the customer to be charged this much. No other business from shop to service is this lucritive so what gives you the right to be different?! NOTHING! Thats why I don't buy from you! I hope everyone looks for alternitive vendors that are willing to give fair prices for those who purchase mass orders. After all, you vendors expect discounts when you purchase in bulk from your suppliers so what makes it different between the vendor to customer relationship?

Where are you finding Tangiers that is priced at double what Eric charges?
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

I also think it is a supply and demand thing with the hookah tobacco as well. Look at the price differnces for just naklah at all the different sites. I completely understand wanting to make a profit. It keeps you are your family fed as well as the roof over your home and business. If Eric sells it at 10 bucks per 250g, the vendors i am sure buy it close to that, maybe a little lower depending on the amount that they buy. So say they buy it at 10 bucks. Sell it for 15. Thats 5 bucks a 250g bag. Hardly a large profit.

I can see if you are buying like 8 kilos a week, ok fine give you a great price to keep you coming back. Only buying 3 kilos every few months or so. In reality, not that great of an idea for a place to cut their profit by that much for you.

If you want to pay the lowest possible prices, go down to see Eric, and buy 3 or more kilos. My buddy goes down there and buys 3+ kilos every 2 weeks. He gets them for about 30 bucks a kilo. Again though, he goes there every couple of weeks. lol. . Let the vendors make thier money, and if you dont like the price, dont buy it. This is just my 2 cents on the situation.
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:37 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
No the profit is closer to 20. Shipping is not as much as you'd think it would be. Did you know you can ship 150 pounds worth of merchandise for under 70 bucks if you go through the correct shippers? Second, websites and advertising is an associated cost of running a business, you don't take it out on the customers, you take it out of your profit. If I buy 3 kilos of tobacco 6 times a year then thats close to 110 bucks in profit for little bit of effort. If thats not enough then fine, because to eric, that is MORE than enough.

So then if you want them to charge 1.50 more than they pay for the tobacco initially after shipping then where does the money for the rest of the costs of business come from?
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook