Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Question for Couples who smoke?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 9th, 2009, 07:21 PM
kangri
Hookah Newbie

Question Question for Couples who smoke?

Hey HP!

So I was wondering, to all the couples who smoke together, if you were to have a kid would you allow them to smoke hookah with you? Teach them the ways of the Hookah and show them how relaxing it can be? Or would you tell them to wait till they're 18 before they can smoke?

I'm interested because back in my sophomore year of high school I knew a girl who's parents let her smoke. She was Middle Eastern, so maybe that had something to do with it. But I'm just curious to see what other people would do.
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

Default Re: Question for Couples who smoke?

My wife and i have a 3 year old girl. We never smoke around her. I hope that i can keep my child away from any type of smoking for a long time. However, when my child is old enough (18) if she wishes to do so, I will allow it. I would rather her drink and smoke hookah with me, then out somewhere else. Atleast i would know she was safe.
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:44 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo

That's a pretty good question. I don't have kids, but my 10 year old niece lives with me. I attempt to conceal it from her, just so that she doesn't feel the urge to do it just because her uncle does. But since hookah is not addicting in the same way cigarettes are, I think that once she's a bit older, I'd suspect around 15 or 16, I'd be willing to let her smoke with me if she wanted to (and her mother weren't disagreeable). Afterall, she's likely to try this kind of thing out with friends. At least this way she could be the cool one who knows what she's talking about. Or at least can sound like she does.
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Stuart123321
Hookah Nut

Well i know i started smoking before i was 18, my parents didnt let me smoke in the house or when they were around but they let me keep my hookah on display in my room
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

I started at 16 (ciggaretts). My parents knew, but they never said anything to me. I just hope my daughter doesnt smoke cigs. They are icky. lol
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:24 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

while i am not a father or even in a relationship i think i would want to go about it like this. i wouldnt smoke around my kids in a confined space, probably would designate a smoking room or garage or something at least until the kids are older. when they are teenagers i might let them try it if they want to for the simple fact that they either can try it at home with me in a safe environment or they could try it with friends who might set it up wrong or end up getting caught and getting in trouble with the law. my parents never smoked so i never had that experience but they did always let me and my siblings drink responsibly at home (no going any where after, not giving it to friends, etc etc) and we never had that crazy want to go get drunk all the time. we can responsibly enjoy alcohol, i think if we were raised in a house with tobacco we would look at tobacco the same, granted i see tobacco as something to enjoy and dont really feel addicted.

i think it is the right thing to keep kids away from exposure when they are young but once they get to the teenage years you are dealing with them wanting what is forbidden so you have to figure out how to go about it.

-matt
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:40 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Good question, i have 2 smaller cousin that practically live in my house, and i have taught them both how to set up the hookah properly, when im lazy and dont wanna do it, i get them to do it, but im not gonna let them smoke until they are 18 and they parents say its fine, but for my kids same goes when they are 18 and if they wanna try it they can
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Bogalu
Banned

Thats a tough question, what is an acceptable age for us may be crazy for someone growing up in a new age. All I know is if my and my gf were to get married and have kids, if they were going to do these things, I would rather them do it at my home with theyre friends instead of getting drunk and doing it at some party where some asshole spikes it with something they shouldn't. I mean it was a dangerous world growing up even for me, I cant imagine what it will be a decade or 2 down the road. I knew back a few years ago when I started hookah quite a bit of 13 and 14 yr olds smoking hookah. So I have no f'ing clue when to introduce something like this to a child. I mean if I say "hey son, I know your 15 now and when I was your age I started smoking hookah, would you like to try?" I halfway expect a reply like "dad, I've been smoking hookah for 5 years now." lol
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:56 PM
575hookahfreak
Hookah Newbie

Funny this should come up when it did. Just saw a commercial on TV about stopping underage smoking. I feel that if I ever have kids I would allow them to smoke hookah with me once they reach their upper teen years. I started dipping when I was 14 without my parents knowledge, and they didnt find out until I was 16. When they found out it was not a pretty scene. My mom cried and thought that she had failed as a parent. I want to avoid as much of that as possible with my future children. I feel that openness will be the best policy
Old November 9th, 2009, 09:23 PM
kangri
Hookah Newbie

Wow I'm surprised at the amount of replies so far =]

Some of those answers are pretty interesting and more or less what I had expected.

Keep 'em comin' guys!
Old November 9th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Matt-641
Hookah Pro

I don't have kids, but I agree with what most others have said. I don't like smoking or drinking in front of kids, so until they turned 18, I wouldn't let my own kids (if I had any) be around the hookah. Afterward, if they felt the urge to try it, that's fine with me.
Old November 9th, 2009, 09:38 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

That depends on if I'm smoking hookah still. If I am, my kid will know all about it when they ask and can understand what I tell them.
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:48 PM
ebaygirl
Hookah Pro

I let my kids smoke hookah since they were seventeen at home because they were going to do it anyway, all their friends would come over and smoke outside. Since my husband is Egyptian it was normal for us. One of them is a regular cigarette smoker and the other isn't, they are 24 and 26 now, and they still enjoy hookah and love to raid mom's store for supplies.
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:06 AM
djfissa
Hookah Newbie

i have a little brother who is 9 who i dont allow near me when we smoke, he has taken it when we wernt looking though and took a puff according to a mate. i woukldnt let him smoke till he was a litle odler though (16)
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:21 AM
nakkisormi
Hookah Newbie

asdasda

Last edited by nakkisormi; May 24th, 2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:55 AM
unicycleboy3190
Hookah Pro

depends on how old they are, if i had a son or daughter that was about 15-18 i would pri smoke with them younger then 14 i wouldnt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook