Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

New York Bans Nearly All Flavoured Tobacco

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 10th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default New York Bans Nearly All Flavoured Tobacco

I was checking an email from a pal of mine that is stuck in the People's Republic of New York City and he was watching the debate and vote on the ban and pointed out that ban was justified as a way from keeping children away from hookahs. Apparently the thinking is that evil shisha cafes have seduced the other wise innocent and healthy children of NYC into the horrors of nicotine addiction via candied moassels which are being promoted big tobacco companies (AKA satan) so only by banning all flavoured tobaccos (save menthol, mint, winter green and clove cigarettes) can we save the children. He also told me that the NYC politicians were very worked up about the evils of cherry pipe tobacco and cigars made by Drew Estates and ACID as being equally evil as moassel. Apparently, the politicians of NYC think that not only can children some how can afford 10 buck a pop cigars and brier pipes but they have no trouble buying them and that flavoured tobacco is somehow marketed and soled to children by wicked hookah lounges and cigar divans.

You can read about it here: http://reason.com/blog/2009/11/06/ki...their-meerscha

In other new, the mayor of NYC is seeking to ban smoking parks and every other public place which is something that even the proles in North Korea can do without fear of fines/jail time.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/elec..._in_parks.html

Yet somehow people in this forum of all places think that our hobby won't be affected. I guess they never noticed how many places in the U.S. has made it illegal to own a shisha lounge.

Wow, how I miss the land of free!
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Madwolf
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Re: New York Bans Nearly All Flavoured Tobacco

....sigh....... how do these @$$holes get voted into office.......
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:55 AM
JimNibbles
Hookah Nut

Anyone who denies the snowball effect is just blind.
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:09 AM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX

does that mean hookah-set is going under?
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM
texashookah
**~ Supporting Vendor ~**

Another state going under...
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:45 AM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionX View Post
does that mean hookah-set is going under?
They do more than just sell tobacco I believe, probably just end up getting out of that business. They really are targeting the wrong tobacco if they want to "protect" the kids. I've never seen a minor with a briar pipe hanging out of his mouth but I've damn sure seen them pulling out a pack of Newports.

Last edited by hookahman1988; November 10th, 2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:03 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

Have to wait and see what happens with out of state online sale laws.It will be a few months untill it goes into affect.I'll let ya's know what happens as soon as I find out more details in the next few months.
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:15 PM
chain
Hookah Pro

the world is ending...where should we all move to?
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

well my original idea was to go to the UK. However the tax on stuff is worse than any place i know. Canada, is out for me. No thanks. I guess i will have to move to china. Or (gulp)... Egypt.. I think china would be a better choice for me. lol
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:17 PM
575hookahfreak
Hookah Newbie

Everyone pack up and move to New Mexico where we will defend you right to flavored tobbacy to the death. If we all concentrate on one area then we can defeat any legislature that is trying to be passed.
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:59 PM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

Wow, that's terrible. Don't you just love how the government is forcing their opinions on what you should do with your own body down your throat? Adults should have the rights to make their own informed decisions. Tobacco is already restricted to adult-only sales. Do they really think this is going to do any more to prevent kids from smoking? All it's going to do is piss off a lot of adults, just like the previous FDA ban. We're becoming a minority.
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:24 PM
TheGirlfriend
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to TheGirlfriend

The tax on cigs to go up to 150% we May be losing
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain View Post
the world is ending...where should we all move to?
i call alpha centauri!! who's coming?
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:19 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

after reading into some of the links in the link there.It seems the sale of flavored tobacco's are are still alowed in tobacco bars.Making cigar/pipe/hookah lounges and clubs exempt from the new laws.I think its just to keep the flavored tobacco's out of view from children in like a gas station or grociery store.
I don't think its gonna be a big deal for adults other than you'll have to go to an actual tobacco shop to get your goodies soon.
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:37 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Who are we protecting by not allowing smoking in parks? Absolutely no one. What rights will we have censored in public areas next?
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 575hookahfreak View Post
Everyone pack up and move to New Mexico where we will defend you right to flavored tobbacy to the death. If we all concentrate on one area then we can defeat any legislature that is trying to be passed.
I used to live in Madrid, New Mexico and loved the state. If the economy wasn't so crappy and the crime a lot lower i'd happily head back to the land of enchantment if I could.
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoapplesplease View Post
after reading into some of the links in the link there.It seems the sale of flavored tobacco's are are still alowed in tobacco bars.Making cigar/pipe/hookah lounges and clubs exempt from the new laws.I think its just to keep the flavored tobacco's out of view from children in like a gas station or grociery store.
I don't think its gonna be a big deal for adults other than you'll have to go to an actual tobacco shop to get your goodies soon.
That is interesting although from what I heard the legislators that voted for it (apparently all but one of them) want to go after hookahs, high end flavoured cigars and flavoured pipe tobacco as that is what they talked about for the most part. As I understand it, a hunch of anti-lounge measures are in the works which run on the "save the children" schlock and the eco hazards of hanging out/working in smoke filled lounges. I also understand that the NY insurance commission is of the opinion that licenses and insurance fees for lounges need be raised many orders of magnitude to help pay for the terrible damage smoking has on the environment. Besides, tax revenue is down so clearly the solution is to make stuff more expensive so less people will buy stuff.
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley View Post
Who are we protecting by not allowing smoking in parks? Absolutely no one. What rights will we have censored in public areas next?
Well you need to think in terms of the typical commissar wannabe to understand things like this. You see a few reports written by anti-tobacco researchers with anti-tobacco money concluded that a flawed literature review showed second hand smoke wasn't dangerous and that required selectively picking out stuff that suggested other wise and assuming that normally moderate correlates equal proof of causality. When you do those sorts of things, presto! you've got a reason to ban something that you'd prefer people not do. In other words you need to force the data to suit your biases and agenda so that you can demand laws that make people do as want them to.

It's all about establishing state control over people since proles like you and I since clearly we aren't up to make decisions about stuff we need someone to protect us from our selves.

Basically the second hand smoke hysteria is like global warming hysteria in that it all comes down to a bunch of commissar wannabes having an over powering desire to force people to live as they think they should. The difference between the global warming cultists and the anti-tobacco cultists is that a lot more money can be made by the politically powerful with the eco hysteria.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; November 10th, 2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

They should allow smoking in parks and encourage it. People who take their children to the park should tell their children "Do you see that man smoking over there? Thanks to him you have health insurance. The government decided to tax the living daylights out of people who smoke so you could have health insurance. That is an honest tax paying citizen. Wave and smile at the nice man. There are very few honest tax paying citizens like him around these days."
Old November 10th, 2009, 06:14 PM
slick_johnson
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
Well you need to think in terms of the typical commissar wannabe to understand things like this. You see a few reports written by anti-tobacco researchers with anti-tobacco money concluded that a flawed literature review showed second hand smoke wasn't dangerous and that required selectively picking out stuff that suggested other wise and assuming that normally moderate correlates equal proof of causality. When you do those sorts of things, presto! you've got a reason to ban something that you'd prefer people not do. In other words you need to force the data to suit your biases and agenda so that you can demand laws that make people do as want them to.

It's all about establishing state control over people since proles like you and I since clearly we aren't up to make decisions about stuff we need someone to protect us from our selves.

Basically the second hand smoke hysteria is like global warming hysteria in that it all comes down to a bunch of commissar wannabes having an over powering desire to force people to live as they think they should. The difference between the global warming cultists and the anti-tobacco cultists is that a lot more money can be made by the politically powerful with the eco hysteria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
They should allow smoking in parks and encourage it. People who take their children to the park should tell their children "Do you see that man smoking over there? Thanks to him you have health insurance. The government decided to tax the living daylights out of people who smoke so you could have health insurance. That is an honest tax paying citizen. Wave and smile at the nice man. There are very few honest tax paying citizens like him around these days."
Wow, I think Hajo and Dunkel just became my new heros. The crappy thing is, I have these same ideas floating around in my head but I can't seem to put the words together so they make sense. Thank you two so much for doing that for me.
Old November 10th, 2009, 06:19 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

As if I didn't need another reason NOT to go to Noo Yawk.

Old November 10th, 2009, 06:46 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX

Lets all orgy up in a "Hookah House" in New Mexico where we all drink pee flavored Coronas and smoke Hookah all day! Whose with me? I have a couple pesos laying around here somewhere!
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

Im down.
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:38 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

I was chating with the owner and if worse comes to worse we got other offices in new jersey we can move opperations too.So take that NY you lose
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

I know that one of the serious issues here in Colorado is the fact that kids (17 and 16 years old) are allowed to smoke in some hookah lounges. Unfortunately. this is true and I've seen that in several lounges across the state. I had a conversation with one of the owners about this issue and he didn't care to check people's IDs. Eventually, they caught him and he spent some time in jail. I guess some lounges' owners are causing these problems.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook