Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

New York Bans Nearly All Flavoured Tobacco

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 11th, 2009, 01:06 AM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Default Re: New York Bans Nearly All Flavoured Tobacco

I propose a statement be filed with C.A.I.R. stating that since hookahs are endemic to Arab culture, banning them is inherently racist. Once they file a lawsuit we'll have all the PC nannies p*ssing all over themselves.

Old November 11th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Madwolf
Hookah Enthusiast

Montana. We all go there. There no one else there, and if they are there still probably 25 miles away. Its our last bastion of hope.
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:31 AM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf View Post
Montana. We all go there. There no one else there, and if they are there still probably 25 miles away. Its our last bastion of hope.
i'd raise me up a crop of dental floss. raisin' it up, waxin' it down. in a little white box that I can sell up town...(obscure music reference)

Old November 11th, 2009, 03:15 AM
omrigo
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahman1988 View Post
They do more than just sell tobacco I believe, probably just end up getting out of that business. They really are targeting the wrong tobacco if they want to "protect" the kids. I've never seen a minor with a briar pipe hanging out of his mouth but I've damn sure seen them pulling out a pack of Newports.
man.. i wanna tell you that minors here smoke hookah but they smoke more cigs... when i was a minor i smoked hookah a lot.. almost every day man but i really think that if they wanna "protect" the children just put an age limit of smoking in the streets nothing more! dammm!!!
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

A few people here have raised a good point which is that under aged smoking is a problem and that often times cafes and the like allow it to happen and that is wrong. I for one believe that such conduct is unacceptable and selling tobacco to minors should be prosecuted. Still, in the end no law will ever be a substitute for parental oversight and clearly that is often lacking.
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

sigh....I dont even want to think about this.

Old November 14th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Straykat
Hookah Nut

In the US, the number one tobacco product that gets kids started is Marlboros. The number one flavor of choice for beginning smokers is menthol. Can anyone guess which smoking product and flavor is excluded from the ban?

And as far as smoking in open outdoor areas like parks? You can skew "scientific" data to make anything look unsafe. You can make "science by press release" your tool of choice and say whatever you want with little consequence these days.

So many of my favorite hobbies have some zealot group trying to ban or control it.

Heres a MOLON ABE and a middle finger for you, bitches!!!!
Old November 14th, 2009, 03:08 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

Hajo, you bring a good point.

My most used "rant" is that parents don't keep an eye on their youngsters and teach them what they should be doing rather than forcing them. This is the same reason we have 12 yr olds giving birth, 14 yr olds hooked on cocaine, and the like. It does them no good to have big bad government, or even big bad mom and dad, tell them "Oh, you're a child, this is what you're going to do" rather than "You are still learning, let me teach you why you do things this way".

Unfortunately, parents aren't doing this so big bad gov't has stepped in and is crushing the legal adult's decisions as well with their falsely aimed actions.
Old November 14th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriekitsune View Post
Hajo, you bring a good point.

My most used "rant" is that parents don't keep an eye on their youngsters and teach them what they should be doing rather than forcing them. This is the same reason we have 12 yr olds giving birth, 14 yr olds hooked on cocaine, and the like. It does them no good to have big bad government, or even big bad mom and dad, tell them "Oh, you're a child, this is what you're going to do" rather than "You are still learning, let me teach you why you do things this way".

Unfortunately, parents aren't doing this so big bad gov't has stepped in and is crushing the legal adult's decisions as well with their falsely aimed actions.
quote for truth
Old November 15th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straykat View Post
In the US, the number one tobacco product that gets kids started is Marlboros. The number one flavor of choice for beginning smokers is menthol. Can anyone guess which smoking product and flavor is excluded from the ban?

And as far as smoking in open outdoor areas like parks? You can skew "scientific" data to make anything look unsafe. You can make "science by press release" your tool of choice and say whatever you want with little consequence these days.

So many of my favorite hobbies have some zealot group trying to ban or control it.

Heres a MOLON ABE and a middle finger for you, bitches!!!!
I guess I never really thought about what kids smoke since when I was kid smoking among children was rare and ever since I started smoking I never really paid attention to cigarettes much since I never had one that I enjoyed.

To me it seems that what is happening that the state has assumed a parental role while parents are being marginalized even as the collapse of the nuclear family has built towards a societal collapse. Partly the state does by having schools being used to indoctrinate kids on pretty much every social issue while parents have little knowledge or control over what happens in schools.Recently I was watching videos of little kids in school being coached to sing praises of Obama and wondered why schools should be used to push someone's politcal agenda. The nation wide anti-tobacco campaign is just another sign of a political agenda being pushed via the school system with the help of the government.

Still, I doubt that tobacco will actually be banned but I think it will become heavily taxed and it's use so restricted that only fairly wealthy people will be able to do it.
Old November 15th, 2009, 02:24 PM
th3p0p0
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
They should allow smoking in parks and encourage it. People who take their children to the park should tell their children "Do you see that man smoking over there? Thanks to him you have health insurance. The government decided to tax the living daylights out of people who smoke so you could have health insurance. That is an honest tax paying citizen. Wave and smile at the nice man. There are very few honest tax paying citizens like him around these days."
Made my day. thank you.
Old November 15th, 2009, 02:25 PM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

I think that schools should be doing more to prevent smoking, too. Parents can't be there 100% of the time to control it. At my (private arts) high school, if you got caught smoking you could be suspended or expelled - it didn't matter if it was off-campus or not. More schools should pay attention to where kids are going on lunch or right after school, because that's when all the kids get together to smoke.
Old November 15th, 2009, 02:31 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
Still, I doubt that tobacco will actually be banned but I think it will become heavily taxed and it's use so restricted that only fairly wealthy people will be able to do it.
It's still really cheap comparatively in the USA, but if the people who want to change that have their way (like they usually do), it will be.

Some good info in here, I didn't know about the Marlboro Mentol's example....

I will add that a lot of people PHILOSOPHICALLY believe that smoking is a contagion that should be illegal. We don't talk about that much here. A lot of people think they can take away our tobacco and do everyone a favor, most of all ourselves...

My view is that if it's not going to hurt anyone else, live and let live. There are exceptions but that's what real freedom is for the most part imo.

Also, if they keep jacking up the taxes and prices the black market will grow. It seems like all our problems nowadays arise from governing restrictions of some kind.
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Good point BM. A lot of people are firmly convinced second hand smoke will give them all sorts of diseases and little things like facts are ignored because in the end they want to believe that tobacco represents some massive public health threat and they viscerally hate smoking. You can't reason with these people because they have an all consuming sense of their own superiority and a mission to save us from our selves. Empiricism simply doesn't matter to these people so I treat with contempt since that is what they deserve.
Old November 17th, 2009, 04:07 AM
JimNibbles
Hookah Nut

Well said, BM and Hajo. It's all propaganda, really. Every time someone tries to tell me the evils of smoking, it's impossible to tell them anything factual thanks to their deeply entrenched, misguided views. I love how marginalized facts have become in today's world.
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo

Banning smoking in parks? Really? You know, camp fires and bbq pits make smoke you could accidentally breathe in too. Better get out the legislation on those death wishes!

Greh!! Let me protect my kids and stop telling me what to do, government!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook