Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Do you think Hookahs is a temporary trend or the beginning of the future

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 7th, 2008, 11:06 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Re: Do you think Hookahs is a temporary trend or the beginning of the future

i don't think that there is anyone over 25 that smokes hookah regularly in my state. Everyone is 14-22, roughly, but i can say no one that is older is smoking hookah. Granted.. i live in a LARGE population of Mormons.. but theres a handful of non-Mo's that live it up... That's a problem where i'm from. The hookah lounge here, downtown, only serves people 21 and older, so the actual hookah smokers can't indulge... + the legal smoking age is 19. Now, no one follows that rule, including Shops, but if you get caught you get in serious trouble.

I actualy started when i was 17. I said, one morning, "Mom, i'm buying a hookah" and she said "Ok.". ANd it came, and i smoked out of it, and she said "what are you doing??" and i wa slike "hookah" and then explained it to her and now she has bought me a large japanese cabinet to store my supplies and rigs in.

People accept it, they are really cool about it actually, including police, as long as your legal. But it will never grow large here because it is more underground than anything.
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Default Re: Do you think Hookahs is a temporary trend or the beginning of the future

I guess it depends on why you smoke. I never decided to try it to be cool or as a past time with friends. It's something I enjoy after dinner. So for me it isn't a trend. For the college folks it is most likely a trend for them.
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:38 PM
OBY
Hookah Newbie

I picked it up when I went to a party.... They had one fired up and I decided to try it... now it's something I enjoy doing... I hate doing it by myself so the social aspect is what I like.
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:40 PM
freepain
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to freepain

Hookah i have to say is one of the most relaxing things ive ever done. After a long day of work its always been there for me to just take the edge off and i cant even begin to explain how thats helped me. Considering that i used to turn to very powerful drugs to do the same purpose as a kid i gotta tell you hookah is one of the greatest things in the world to me.
Old January 14th, 2008, 12:10 PM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

oh yer defo freepain!! its such a way to chill out! especially after a hard day!
Old January 18th, 2008, 01:46 PM
cemab4y
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to cemab4y

Hookah has been around for a couple of centuries, and I do not see it disappearing anytime soon. That being said, the hookah may be in for a real boom here in the USA. With the restrictions on smoking (in public), and workplaces and restaurants clamping down on smoking, soon the only place where you can smoke will be in your home.

This may prove to entice more people to take up hookah. Also, the hookah lounges and bars in the USA, particularly near colleges, are introducing more young people to the hookah. What they get started on in college, may last into their adult years.

Remember, it was the american GIs in Italy, who discovered the flavor of oregano, and thus made pizza popular in the USA after WW2.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
shawshank
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Do you think Hookahs is a temporary trend or the beginning of the futur

Well if you're middle-eastern it's not much of a fad, it's more of a cultural thing. Especially for me, it's about socializing with family and friends and just relaxing with it. More cultural than based on the need to impress people. If anyone develops their approach to the hookah based on this rather than just trying an exotic smoking device then I think it'll stay for them.

Except maybe on vacations it's not right to smoke every night, smoking with larger intervals is better.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
kruset
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to kruset
Default Re: Do you think Hookahs is a temporary trend or the beginning of the futur

I hope its here to stay because i plan to continue smoking my hookah until i can't lol
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
PhilipHand
Hookah Nut

I know at least with myself, the hookah is here to stay; and I think it has what it takes to truly hold its own as a fixture of our society. It's social and relaxing.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Bassism
Hookah Nut

Considering it's a tradition that has lasted for hundreds of years among several different cultures, I don't think it'll disappear any time soon.
All of the hype surrounding hookah smoking, and the huge population of frat children smoking to get wasted should disappear in a few years though, I think.
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:25 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i think it is going to stay stronger is areas that dont have a lot of things for the 18-20 year old crowd to do. back home there is nothing to do except go down the the "beach" which is on a river and basically you hang out and hope you run into friends or people go and get trashed or do drugs. so for the rest of us that get bored at the beach and dont partake of the latter theres not much to do. the hookah place near home is really chill and ive ran into friends i havent seen in years there. so in that situation its going to stay as well as probably around college campuses. who knows what will happen in the mainstream
-matt
Old May 4th, 2008, 05:50 PM
BigChris07
Hookah Newbie

hookah has been around for a long time and i think it will be around for thousands of years in the future
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

I think I will be enjoying the hookah as much, or more, than I do currently. So for me it is not a fad but an enjoyable hobby. And there are far too many Mid-East restaurants and lounges that offer hookah in my area. Backed by the increasing populations from those areas to support those establishments, I doubt it will be a temporary trend here. That is unless tobacco laws change and kill it all.
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:26 AM
SouthJerzyCat
Hookah Newbie

Angry Re: Do you think Hookahs is a temporary trend or the beginning of the futur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
One problem i've noticed is that Hookahs have been synonymous with drug users, and i can't stand it. I think this could be it's one downfall.
I can't stand it either!

Lets hope hookahs are still legal in 5 years. I hope so, but I have a
bad feeling. I think I'd better start learning to make shisha, just in case.
A friend of mine has already had a run in with police over his hookah.
The police in my town are more concerned with the town's "image" than
they are about a citizen's civil liberties. Hookah smoking in public is
frowned on in my town. We should have equal treatment as other
tobacco smokers. I felt like I was being treated like a second class
citizen when I smoked cigars or my pipe in public. I remember before
NJ's smoking ban you could smoke cigarettes in public establishments
indoor or out provided there was a non-smoking section, but forget it
if you tried to light up a cigar or pipe. Now that I have added hookah
to my smoking I feel that I'm treated like a third class citizen.

Has anyone here been harassed for smoking in public?
Maybe I should have posted this as a different thread, "smoking in public"?
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:32 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemonster View Post
Fad 4 sure.s

Something else will come along and the kids will take the money elsewhere.
Spoken like a true champion.
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Wanab
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Wanab

I sort of hope it is a fad, I hate going to the hookah bar by the University of Oklahoma at night because its chocked full of frat boys who find it cool to smoke just 'cause
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

I am glad this thread resurfaced. I have had some more thoughts along this line.

A question I have is: "Will hookah survive the fad?"

What I mean is, this hookah thing has gotten bigger in the West, and with it comes Western takes on hookah to fit Western lifestyles.

IF you look at what it happening to hookahs because of the popularity, you'll see that the hookah is what is evolving. Western smokers for the better part arent conforming themselves around the the hookah...they are rather making the hookah conform to them. Basically making a hookah that serves the current fast paced lifestyle instead.

Lets take a look, shall we? About 5 years ago, you had traditional hookahs to choose from...and the bigger Mya's that broke down and fit in a case. The Mya hookahs at the time were the most modern thing you could get.... simply because you could break it down and it was "good on the go". This was popular because Westerners are to and fro kind of people. Then a few years back the QT was introdiced and the "Micro-Hookah" revolution was born. The QT's and "pumpkins" were a great marketing ploy for the west as the hookah was more portable and less trouble to clean and maintain. The smallness of the new hookahs were also favorable as they were easier to hide from parents and Dorm RA's. Smaller hookahs are aslo favorable with the "head" set as they are easier to conceal/store.

The Chinese jumped all over this small hookah thing and and you literally trip over these cheaply made "minis" everytime you go to look for tradition kit. Theres little LED lights in em now...and fake fish tank.... etc... The curvy lines, majestic height and polished metals....hand made glass are giving away to plastic moldings and bad chrome dips.

Now the idea is to improve hookah portability and ease even greater with the Leila (spl?). Sure they might smoke well..... but is that a hookah?! Well sure it is... but it looks like a thermos with a hose on it, LOL.

Where will the western need take the device. We like shisha.... but how much will we contort the device to smoke it "easier"?

Will the device....the HOOKAH survive the fad?
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

Oh, you forget that there are still companies that crank out marvelous traditional hookahs for us, the connoisseurs, along with an array of shisha brands and flavors.

I still say unwashed or death, though.
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Wanab
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Wanab

I agree with Lakemonster for the most part
I have at a cross road of wither or not to sell my traditional Egyptian hookah for a modern Stargate, I love the portability and look of it but it just doesn't seem right to me
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:25 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

in most things i get into i am spanning the old and the new. ive gotten into knife making and wanting to collect and enjoy a traditional shape and look but i like it to be slightly modernized. ive been doing native american dance for 7 years now and i am doing a modern style that is what natives are doing out west now and changing but it is still traditional in its roots. in paintball i like a marker that can shoot a lot of paintballs and is light weight (the modern trends) but i dont want to use electronic markers and like the simpler older designs.

so with that being said i see the place for the traditional hookahs and the place for the modern ones. while most of the design changes are ascetic except for a few small more hidden things i dont really see a huge decline in tradition. there will always be those that want good quality traditional, good quality modern, and then the what ever works or what ever looks cool.

-matt
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n

It's like what others have said, the diehards will be around for good and the teens/college students that just go to lounges will eventually move on. In my mind if you have one and you smoke from it often, then you are hooked on hookah for life lol.

Obviously the popularity wont be as big in say....5 years most likely. But I know there are some people here that will be smoking their pipes for many years to come, I am one of those people. Im proud to say
Old May 5th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

hopefully its not a trend and the markets will equilibrate to a lower price for the consumer.
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

In the countries that narghiles traditionally have been used they will always be a big part of the culture.

In the Occident narghiles are basically a hipster/trendy thing and like all trends they will shrivel up but not die out. Give it 3 years or so and I'd be willing to bet that 60-80% of the people that do it now will give up on it. The reason is that right now it's basically college kids (obviously people like me are an exception) and most people have to work 60+ hours to make ends meet and they simply will not have the time to set up, smoke and clean a rig. Besides, when ever the next trendy thing comes along that will suck up the college kids' money and time. Lastly, the American economy is tanking big time and all indications are that it will get worse for the foreseeable future which means most people will have less for pleasures like video games, music, clubbing and shisha.
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I still think that we'll see narghile stuff having the same downturn as the cigar market did back in the early '90s. back then cigars were huge and literally hundreds of brands popped up and all sorts of people were shelling out 10 & 15 bucks for a smoke that should have cost 5. Cigars are nowheres near as trendy as they once were but because the market has always been upscale it managed a lot better then some expected. Narghiles are clearly not an upscale market ( the endless see of Chinese junk proves as much) so when the main market (20 somethings) fade I expect that will really hurt the whole thing.
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:20 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

Hookah is gonna be part of my life, maybe not my friend's, but it's gonna be in mine.
I expect hookah to be around, and grow. Hopefully they aren't banned though. That would suck.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook