Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Getting new base, how do I size?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 15th, 2009, 12:20 AM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune
Default Getting new base, how do I size?

So, I broke my base a while back: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15927

Finally have the extra moneh's to get a new one, but I don't know which to get and how to size it correctly. I found a few that are the right shape or a similar shape that I like, but I'm not sure how you make sure they're going to fit.

A (measured) pic of my KM trimetal downstem and current grommet is attached, and I'm trying to figure out which of these bases would work better.

How do I make sure that my stem will fit the new base? And how would I go about sizing a grommet if need be?

(images are linked)

It is 11 inches tall and 5 inches wide at the base. The diameter of the opening is approximately 1 3/4 inches.
(I'm pretty sure that this is the same as the large of the next variety.)

The Small Genie base will fit our Egyptian Nile Hookah. It measures 8 inches in height and the diameter of the opening is 1.37 inches.

The Medium Genie base will fit out Sphinx, Pharaoh, and King Tut Egyptian hookahs. It measures 10 inches in height and the diameter of the opening is 1.7 inches.

The Large Genie base is made for our Sphinx, Pharaoh, and King Tut Egyptian hookahs. It measures 11 inches in height and the diameter of the opening is 1.7 inches.

Small Vase: Diameter of glass opening: 1.50 inches
Height: 9 inches
This type of Glass Vase fits Hookahs that are up to 23" in height
Medium Vase: Diameter of glass opening: 1.75 inches
Height: 10.5 inches
This type of Glass Vase fits Hookahs that are between 26" and 28" in height
Large Vase:
Diameter of glass opening: 1.98 inches
Height: 10.75 inches
This type of Glass Vase fits Hookahs that are between 31" and 33" in height

Typically fits 30" hookahs.
[LIST][*] Height: 10.2 inches[*] Width: 5.5 inches[*] Weight: 2.6 lbs[/LIST]
Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
10-23-09 003.jpg  
Old November 15th, 2009, 12:25 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo
Default Re: Getting new base, how do I size?

You've already measured the stem, and most of these have diameter listings for the opening. Looks to me like you answered your own question.

Just make sure the opening is the same size or close (remember the rubber gives you a little wiggle room), then make sure it's tall enough to fit your down stem.
Old November 15th, 2009, 12:53 AM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

(I've never bought parts separately except bowls, so I'm a little nervous about getting it right. I don't exactly have cash to spare.)

So basically, I just match the numbers? What do I do if it gets here and it too big/small for the grommet? Is there a way to size the grommet as well?

Also, does it matter how much space you have between the bottom of the downstem and the bottom of the vase? Following the match the numbers, there are a couple that would seem to fit, but one has like 2 inches to spare and the other has 1 inch to spare below the downstem. Will that affect the smoking quality or anything?

This stem is what used to be a 36" KM with the old base. I'm also nervous the base won't be sturdy enough for the weight and height and it will tip over.

*EDIT:*

Also, will a silicone vs. rubber grommet vs. other make a difference? I've only used the ones that came with the hookah. (Foam rubber looking stuff on the KM, and a rubber one on the Sahara)

Last edited by faeriekitsune; November 15th, 2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:03 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriekitsune View Post
(I've never bought parts separately except bowls, so I'm a little nervous about getting it right. I don't exactly have cash to spare.)
Yeah, I understand that.

Quote:
So basically, I just match the numbers? What do I do if it gets here and it too big/small for the grommet? Is there a way to size the grommet as well?
Well, it depends how big a difference it is. If it's a little too small, you can sand down your grommet some. If it's too big, you could put some electrical tape under the grommet to make it a tad bigger. But my experience has been that if you're close, it will work.

Quote:
Also, does it matter how much space you have between the bottom of the downstem and the bottom of the vase? Following the match the numbers, there are a couple that would seem to fit, but one has like 2 inches to spare and the other has 1 inch to spare below the downstem. Will that affect the smoking quality or anything?
I really don't think it's going to matter. I suppose ideally you'd want it high enough above the bottom so that you can still add a decent amount of water without affecting your draw. But not so high you have to add a ton of water and thus cut into your smoke reservoir. An inch or two sounds fine to me. One of my hookahs only has about an inch of space at the bottom and it smokes great.

Quote:
This stem is what used to be a 36" KM with the old base. I'm also nervous the base won't be sturdy enough for the weight and height and it will tip over.
Yeah, that's always a concern. If I were you I'd look for something with a large footprint. The best you can usually do with the egyptian stuff is the classic vase. If you wanted to get creative and look for a different, but useable base elsewhere, you could probably find something with a nice big footprint, that will still work. SaharaSmoke has some cool bases that I've seen work on KM stems. (Although for the record, I would never recommend one of their hookahs, they rust).

I hope I haven't erred in any of these answers! If you're still anxious about it, you could contact **********. I'm sure he'd be happy to help you make sure you got the right base.
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:05 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriekitsune View Post
*EDIT:*

Also, will a silicone vs. rubber grommet vs. other make a difference? I've only used the ones that came with the hookah. (Foam rubber looking stuff on the KM, and a rubber one on the Sahara)
Silicone is really pliable and squishy; easy to stretch and shape. The standard grommets are very stiff. I'm not sure which is actually better, or if it even makes a difference. But I do know that if you have a silicone grommet and the opening to the base is too small, you can't sand it down and it will be a pain in the butt to get it to fit. It will want to fold over on itself. Personally, I'd stick with the regular rubber.
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:19 AM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post
Well, it depends how big a difference it is. If it's a little too small, you can sand down your grommet some. If it's too big, you could put some electrical tape under the grommet to make it a tad bigger.
That would work, although I hate ghetto rigging my hookahs. (tape and the like)

Quote:
I really don't think it's going to matter. I suppose ideally you'd want it high enough above the bottom so that you can still add a decent amount of water without affecting your draw. But not so high you have to add a ton of water and thus cut into your smoke reservoir. An inch or two sounds fine to me. One of my hookahs only has about an inch of space at the bottom and it smokes great.
The base it originally came with had to have about 4 inches of water to get it over the downstem enough, but still smoked fine. I'm mostly worried about it being not enough water.

Quote:
Yeah, that's always a concern. If I were you I'd look for something with a large footprint. The best you can usually do with the egyptian stuff is the classic vase. If you wanted to get creative and look for a different, but useable base elsewhere, you could probably find something with a nice big footprint, that will still work. SaharaSmoke has some cool bases that I've seen work on KM stems. (Although for the record, I would never recommend one of their hookahs, they rust).
The teardrop (no paint) base I linked is the same as the old base I had, and the sheer amount of water it had kept it pretty stable for smoking. I have a Sahara and while it didn't rust, it corroded and peeled. (I got one of the weird batch stems.) While I love the Sahara base with that stem, I personally feel that they look odd on a KM stem.

Quote:
Personally, I'd stick with the regular rubber.
Regular rubber as in the black soft rubber like Sahara grommets, or the stiff assed rubber stuff that comes on a KM?

I think part of the reason I'm so worried about dimensions is because the old base shattered and was thrown out, I'm unable to measure it to check how tall, etc it was. I want it to smoke the way it used to...
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:30 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Have a look at this HJ will be able to advise you on what is needed as to base size and the required grommet size.

If the stem is one inch from the bottom it is still ok for you will be adding an inch of water above the bottom of the stem so all in all 2 inches of water.

Most of the QT and smaller hookahs have very little free space under the stem. Your main concern should be to get a base that has the right size opening for the stem and the appropriate grommet for the stem being used.

http://www.**********.com/product.sc...&categoryId=19
Old November 15th, 2009, 07:23 PM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

i read in another post those bases are really bad. they are unstable and tip over very easily.

HP Feedback - http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...hlight=abzy786
Old November 15th, 2009, 09:12 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzy786 View Post
i read in another post those bases are really bad. they are unstable and tip over very easily.
Yeah, it seeks like they would. But they look so nice! I wouldn't get anything without a decent sized footprint though anyway.
Old November 15th, 2009, 10:39 PM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

Get a standered egyptian vase from HJ i think there $22
http://**********.com/product.sc?pro...&categoryId=19

HP Feedback - http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...hlight=abzy786
Old November 15th, 2009, 10:48 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

The footprint is bigger than you think. The actual bottom surface "footprint" is around 5-6 inches in diameter.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook