Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Acclimating Tangiers

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 16th, 2009, 10:16 AM
merchantofmenac
Hookah Nut

Default Acclimating Tangiers

so i tried my first couple of batches of Tangiers after doing all my research on the forums....i let the tobacco sit in my garage exposed to open air for over 24 hours in a "shallow, wide container" as specified on the packaging. Afterwards tried smoking it and it was completely unsmokable.....my questions is...when acclimating Tangiers do you have to leave it exposed to the air in a WARM environment(like at room termperature)? I left it in my garage and up here in canada is was probably about 2-3 degrees, could that be the reason the tobacco didn't acclimate?....is the purpose of acclimating to dry out the tobacco?
Old November 16th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Acclimating Tangiers

I assume you smoked it in your garage also? It should be acclimated in the room your intend to smoke in. I'm not sure how temperature might affect it, but the idea is to balance the moisture in the tobacco, so humidity is the deciding factor. If the humidity was not consistent during the 24 hr period, that may have something to do with it.
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:26 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

heat and humidity plays a great role in acclimation of tobacco smell the tobacco and stir it through regularly so that all can be exposed to the air
Old November 16th, 2009, 12:35 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchantofmenac View Post
so i tried my first couple of batches of Tangiers after doing all my research on the forums....i let the tobacco sit in my garage exposed to open air for over 24 hours in a "shallow, wide container" as specified on the packaging. Afterwards tried smoking it and it was completely unsmokable.....my questions is...when acclimating Tangiers do you have to leave it exposed to the air in a WARM environment(like at room termperature)? I left it in my garage and up here in canada is was probably about 2-3 degrees, could that be the reason the tobacco didn't acclimate?....is the purpose of acclimating to dry out the tobacco?
Glycerine is very hygroscopic; it can absorb up to ~20% of it's own weight in water from moisture in the air. Tangiers is a very low water content tobacco, so humidity changes will effect it's water content. Acclimating is a process to allow it to achieve equilibrium with a new environment.

Are you certain your issues are due to acclimation? Can you describe the problems you are having with it?
Old November 16th, 2009, 01:36 PM
merchantofmenac
Hookah Nut

well i acclimated it in my garage but i transported it in my car to my buddy's place and smoked it in his apartment (obviously at room temperature)....i was a bit paranoid about the acclimation so i kept the top open even while the tobacco was in the trunk of my car so its not like it was resealed after acclimation....basically when smoking it...it was pretty much like breathing in harsh smoke...i mean very little flavor but the inhale killed my lungs and made me cough for atleast a half hour.....heat management wasn't an issue as i was using only 2 coco nara's on a large tangiers phunnel bowl....perhaps the problem was due to the fact that i left it to acclimate in my garage which was around 2 degrees and smoked it in an apartment at room temperature?
Old November 16th, 2009, 02:29 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Your problems sound more like underpacking than acclimation issues. How does the tobacco smell out of the container after stirred and mixed? If it smells how you would expect it to smell, then it is more than likely not acclimation. A good rule of thumb to go by is "if it smells good, smoke it".

For preparing the bowl, thoroughly mix the hell out of the tobacco and take from all layers when you load a bowl. This is because Tangiers uses oil based flavorings that will separate over time due to different weights. This is also one of the reasons why Tangiers recommends using a shallow wide container, to minimize the separation.

For packing, pack A LOT. Tangiers is less dense than other brands so it needs more in a bowl for the same amount of tobacco. It should be packed very tight, to the point when you squeeze down it, it no longer compresses without only juice coming out. If you ever see the video Hookah John made of Eric packing a bowl, he uses a foil test where he pushes down on the foil with his palm. He is compressing the moassel when he does this. When compressed like that, the foil should be no more than quarter thickness below the top of edges of the phunnel bowl. Put the foil on tight and use a lot of bigger holes. When you are smoking, if you are getting juice out of the top of the foil or your coals start sticking a lot, you are over packed. Don't worry if juice is coming down the sides of the bowl if it is smoking well. It is better to slightly overpack than to underpack.

As for coals, a large tangiers phunnel bowl smokes perfect using 4 Golden Canary easy lite Japanese coals. Cocos burn hotter than those but you can still get away with 4 if you manage the heat well. If you are having trouble with this, try moving down to 3 coals or use 4 halves. If you are still having trouble, try starting off with 1 or 2 coals and then adding them slowly until you get good results. The smoke can sometimes be a little harsh as the bowl is still warming up but it is not unbearable by any means.

The biggest issue I see people have with Tangiers is underpacking, although many will think it's acclimation. It's no surprise the first response from everyone that watches someone pack a bowl down at the Tangiers lounge is along the lines of "I never use that much". People also tend to overheat when underpacking in pursuit of clouds and flavor. Es no bueno.
Old November 16th, 2009, 02:37 PM
merchantofmenac
Hookah Nut

Thanks for the detailed response foibled....i did pack it down as instructed on the tangiers packaging but its possible that i didn't use as much tobacco as i should have...i was having doubts that acclimation was the problem becuase 24 hours should be more then enough time....i'll take your advice and give it another shot and let you guys know how it went......
Old November 16th, 2009, 02:56 PM
krampi
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to krampi

I think the problem was that you let it acclimate on 2 degrees and after that smoked it at room temperature. This gave the tobacco a termal shock, witch can lead to harsh smoke. What I would suggest to you, is that next time if you will smoke it at room temperature just let it sit for a couple of hours at room temperature also. As for the packing I can't help you, because I have never had Tangiers myself before, but as I can see others gave you ther 2 cents.
Old November 16th, 2009, 03:20 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

How did it smell? Usually the smell will turn to that of the flavor you ordered when acclimation is finished. If it does not smell like it is supposed to then it's not ready. If it never changes... well that happens with some batches sadly.
Old November 16th, 2009, 03:53 PM
merchantofmenac
Hookah Nut

it smelt fine....to be honest...even before acclimation i couldn't tell much of a differnece...it still smelt fine......then again my sense of smell probably isn't the greatest...the packaging stated to smell and see if you it smelt like "burnt tobacco" which means it needs more acclimation time....and after leaving it out for 24 hours it smelt fine but the smoke was horrible....
Old November 16th, 2009, 04:14 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
it smelt fine....to be honest...even before acclimation i couldn't tell much of a differnece...it still smelt fine......then again my sense of smell probably isn't the greatest...the packaging stated to smell and see if you it smelt like "burnt tobacco" which means it needs more acclimation time....and after leaving it out for 24 hours it smelt fine but the smoke was horrible....
This pretty much confirms to me that it is an underpacking issue. If it happens on your next bowl, just take off the coals, lift up the foil and add some more tobacco. Also make sure you put a lot of holes in the foil and don't over heat the tobacco.
Old November 16th, 2009, 04:35 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:

I second the idea that is a packing and heat issue based on this new information.
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:29 PM
merchantofmenac
Hookah Nut

i agree...i think it is a packing issue....i saw a couple of "how to" videos and i definitely didn't use that much shishsa in packing the funnel bowl....i'll give it another try and see what happens....i also had no idea that the tobacco was supposed to touch the foil as it was demonstrated in the videos.....
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:52 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Check out my videos regarding Tangiers packing. My method has treated me very nicely for a long time. It uses a little less tobacco than some other methods as it's a double pack style.
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Foibled and Kalutika are knockin this thread out like pros, so I'll just say that it sounds like a packing issue.
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:40 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
Foibled and Kalutika are knockin this thread out like pros, so I'll just say that it sounds like a packing issue.
Lol. I've learned well from my extended stay here.
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:09 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

I just got some new Tangiers Noir today, maybe my faith in this line will be restored? Last time I bought some it never acclimated for me so I'm trying it when the weather here is more constant (cool/dry) unlike in the summer.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook