Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Ghosting... What actually causes it?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 17th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Mfoehrkolb
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to Mfoehrkolb Send a message via AIM to Mfoehrkolb Send a message via Yahoo to Mfoehrkolb Send a message via Skype™ to Mfoehrkolb
Default Ghosting... What actually causes it?

I was wondering what actually causes your hookah to ghost smells?...

My QT has some horrid smells inside the base, stem, and hose... I trying the baking soda, scrubbing, lemon juice, etc etc... still ghosted...

It wasn't cleaned regularly because me being ignorant on the subject.

Is it the 3 kings coals i am using? Shisha? What is causing this?...

I change the water each bowl i run thru it.
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:33 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Default Re: Ghosting... What actually causes it?

Bear in mind that ghosting is not always a terrible smell. Ghosting is the essence of flavors that you smoke sticking to the materials of the hookah (often the hose) and remaining noticeable for a long time.

What kind of flavor and smell are you talking about? Is it a flavor from a tobacco or is it a musty and stagnant smell?
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

in either case a good washing should take care of things, if the hookah ever molded or something like that then clean it through with bleach and rinse the hell out of it. Also if you're still using the hose the QT came with, the ghosting is probably in the hose (mya hoses rot after a while)

"From zero to hookah, in nothing flat."
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Mfoehrkolb
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to Mfoehrkolb Send a message via AIM to Mfoehrkolb Send a message via Yahoo to Mfoehrkolb Send a message via Skype™ to Mfoehrkolb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Bear in mind that ghosting is not always a terrible smell. Ghosting is the essence of flavors that you smoke sticking to the materials of the hookah (often the hose) and remaining noticeable for a long time.

What kind of flavor and smell are you talking about? Is it a flavor from a tobacco or is it a musty and stagnant smell?
--- in the entire system was eeewww def. not a good smell... like its beginning to get me sick when i smoke... just the smell alone makes me not want to hit it.

I do think the house is majority of the problem, but the fact that the stem and base are still bad after cleaning... smells like an ashtry. wet ashtray that you just spilled on yourself or in your car... if that makes any sense.

EDIT: When i get home, i will be arriving to a brand new KM and i didnt wnat to use 3 kinds coals on it if that was adding to this problem of mine...

I don't really know what hoses to get for the mya and the KM... i would like them to be affordable so i can buy maybe 3-4 of them for different flavors... basically keep a hose for a flavor i smoke almost daily...

Last edited by Mfoehrkolb; November 17th, 2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

rather than buying a whole bunch of cheap hoses i would go with one good washable. This would solve the hose issue in the future. as for the mya give it one more cleaning and then a new hose, it should be save-able unless it rusted somewhere

Old November 17th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Mfoehrkolb
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmaven View Post
rather than buying a whole bunch of cheap hoses i would go with one good washable. This would solve the hose issue in the future. as for the mya give it one more cleaning and then a new hose, it should be save-able unless it rusted somewhere
--- defnot rusted inside or anything... only a 3 months old... but about 40-50 bowls thru it without any cleaning...

could you source eme some good hoses? (not from SS)
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:17 PM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

narbish w/o removeble tip - http://**********.com/product.sc?pro...&categoryId=11

w removable tip - http://**********.com/product.sc?pro...&categoryId=11

razan hose - http://www.nazarhookah.com/index.php...hsld6tmtnj2fd3

abu mahir just like narbish - http://www.nazarhookah.com/index.php...hsld6tmtnj2fd3

HP Feedback - http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...hlight=abzy786
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Mfoehrkolb
Hookah Nut

http://www.nazarhookah.com/index.php...hsld6tmtnj2fd3

That one above ^ is probably what i would get. It has a put output (hose to base) connection. Doesn't seem like it would make the hookah heavy on one side...

This is the hookah i bought, and the hose it came with... is this washable? any good even?

Old November 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

no but its new so it will take care of your current hose issue

Old November 17th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I had a MYA QT .. and the stem is porous and really hangs onto flavors! One of the main reasons I don't like those cast stems that a lot of MYAs have!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:07 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfoehrkolb View Post
--- defnot rusted inside or anything... only a 3 months old... but about 40-50 bowls thru it without any cleaning...

could you source eme some good hoses? (not from SS)
Did you say... without cleaning?

You let your hookah get nasty and the rankness stuck. It's entirely understandable that it has a nasty flavor in it. Wash your hookahs fairly regularly or this is going to happen again. Take the rig apart and soak the entire thing minus the hose. Water and a bit of dish soap should treat you well.

Treat your rig with respect man.
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Alxlee0002
Hookah Newbie

yea definitely gotta keep the hook fresh.
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:30 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I noticed that when smoking Starbuzz and the likes (as in not Tangiers or Nakhla) the ghosting was really bad, and even worse with a Mya hookah. Myas have the rough brass on the inside, unless it's a bambino or one of the more expensive models.

Tangiers leaves minimal ghosting, and I even once read a post from Eric saying it cleaned the ghost flavors out of your hookah. It does a pretty good job of that in my opinion.

Nakhla also leaves very little ghosting, and that's one of the reasons I like smoking it so much.
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM
omrigo
Hookah Newbie

use boiled water and bakin soda that would do the trick man
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:44 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Personally, I wouldnt keep using a hookah that sounds as nasty as this one is. I would trash it.
Old November 17th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Mfoehrkolb
Hookah Nut

It's not as bad as i make it sound lol.

I cleaned it and all the worse part was the base... It had like calcium build up for where i put the water at. I just rubbed it away with my finger. The hose all in all is what i dislike as of now.

When we first got it, we weren't rotating the coals, we were packing it wrong, just doing everything wrong all together. Every single bowl was burnt without recognition and was only good for the first 10 min.

I now did my research and did my wrench time. Much better now with heat management and packing the bowl properly to get a good smoke. Just think the lack of cleaning and lots of bad smoke going thru it, it just ghosted it pretty badly.

It has been getting better, very slightly very slowly... Maybe ill soak this thing in bleach and put it thru the dishwasher with some AJAX and all that other good stuff.

I was thinking about replacing the hose with a DIY and reuse the tips for the project...

As for the new hose... a washable one. What do the majority of people use? I don't think this would be a bad thing to jump onto the bandwagon with.
Old November 17th, 2009, 06:40 PM
unicycleboy3190
Hookah Pro

just make sure you clean it very well, i wash my hookah before every smoke
Old November 17th, 2009, 06:42 PM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

If you soak it in bleach, don't put AJAX on it - there's no need to chemical yourself out. Just rinse it super-thoroughly and maybe throw it in the dishwasher with no soap. Make sure you give your hookah a good going over no less than once every two weeks if you smoke regularly. Some people recommend washing every time you smoke, but I find that to be an unnecessary hassle. I try to wash mine at least once a week, but I smoke every day.
Old November 17th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Mfoehrkolb
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicycleboy3190 View Post
just make sure you clean it very well, i wash my hookah before every smoke
--- yeah. def keeping up on the cleaning regiment now... that was purely ignorance.

^^ read last post and help me out on what everyone else uses... I had a fellow give me a few options earlier, but i want to know...

What do YOU use? (You=Entire Forum)
Old November 17th, 2009, 06:54 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Personally I use my Razans more than my other hoses. I like my Nammors too but have had more problems with them. Once in a while I pull out either the KM hose I have or the nour hose depending on the flavor. The nour hose is used almost exclusively for the more classic styles of moassel.
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Mfoehrkolb
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Personally I use my Razans more than my other hoses. I like my Nammors too but have had more problems with them. Once in a while I pull out either the KM hose I have or the nour hose depending on the flavor. The nour hose is used almost exclusively for the more classic styles of moassel.
--- what was your problem that you experienced?
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:33 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
--- what was your problem that you experienced?
I had the acrylic hose end snap on me because it was carve too deeply. First day and first use. H-S replaced it happily. I repaired the hose and used it for a while. I got the replacement and both have had issues with the grommets coming out one and the handle wrapping coming off the other after it fell apart at the point where the hose and handle meet.
Old November 17th, 2009, 08:20 PM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

I have a Rainbow KM. It's got a much better pull then the normal mya-type hoses, but I'm not sure it's washable. There are some sites that sell it that say it is, and I've rinsed it a couple times with no rust issues, but I'm afraid to do it again now that people on here have told me it's not washable
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:29 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
Not to be rude, but thats kind of nasty man. You got to realize that everytime you don't clean it, you are putting your hookah at risk to rust and to have that skunk smell.

That is why you need to scrub the hell out of that for a long long long long time, seriously, you could have some nasty things groiwng on it right now

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Mfoehrkolb
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
Not to be rude, but thats kind of nasty man. You got to realize that everytime you don't clean it, you are putting your hookah at risk to rust and to have that skunk smell.

That is why you need to scrub the hell out of that for a long long long long time, seriously, you could have some nasty things groiwng on it right now
--- lol. its all cleaned now, just working on the ghosting to get out of it. its def. weakened over time.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook