Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Looking at Egyptians, any reccomendations?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
f4llacy
Hookah Newbie

Default Looking at Egyptians, any reccomendations?

I'm new to hookah smoking in general, so I'm going to need a little help here. I really liked the flavor and relaxation I got from my first smoke, not all the fad stuff which is why my friends go. Now I'm curious about purchasing.

I really like the Egyptian styles I saw on Hookah-Shisha but I'm open to any suggestions you may have for a beginner. I'm also not looking for anything too tall, I'd like it to be easy to pack up/transport.

Thanks in advance,
Jordan.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Re: Looking at Egyptians, any reccomendations?

Personally I prefer Syrian narghiles but some very good Egyptian stuff is available. I'd suggest looking over Syrian products before making a buy.

I don't have any experience with Hookah-Shisha products but i've heard a lot of comments that range from highly positive to super negative. I would suggest that you not buy anything under 26", stay with single hose products and remember that you will not get a narghile with owning for less then 50.

It has been my experience that the best Egyptians are made by El Ashrey and Khalil Mamoun although I have heard a lot very positive comments about Magdy Zidan. In terms of vendors i'd suggest www.hookah-life.com, www.pimpyourhookah.com and www.hookahcomapny.com for Khalil Mamoun and Magdy Zidan. I would suggest getting a small funnel bowl and a high quality washable hose as Egyptian hoses are not that good.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

LOL, opening a can of worms....

But many here suggest looking into a brand of Egyptians called KM (khalae Mamoon - i spelt it wrong) or Madgy Zidans. They are very nice, well made rigs that several vendors do sell. They normally run bwt 26-32".

Some vendors that sell them are:

www.hookahcompany.com
www.pimpyourhookah.com
www.thehookah.com

Best thing I can say, shop around, compair, read reviews and ask people who own one or the other (many here do).

Good luck (and welcome to the board).
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
f4llacy
Hookah Newbie

I read a few reviews already, it's just hard to narrow it down. I'll definitely look more into Syrians, I saw a few of those that I liked as well.

What all should I consider purchasing at this point along with the hookah? A new hose has been mentioned, obviously some shisha, and some coals. Are any other accessories worth it (heba diffuser, etc)?

Thanks again,
Jordan.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Khalil Mamoun! Highly recommend, especially as a first hookah! It is amazing, beautiful, handmade, and smoke fantastic!

I have one and at one point had two! Still kicking myself in the ass for selling my other one If that says anything? I really am disappointed I sold it, I wish I could have kept it as a collectors piece.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to kingmaddog Send a message via AIM to kingmaddog Send a message via MSN to kingmaddog Send a message via Yahoo to kingmaddog

I highly suggest a nammor hose from Hookah-shisha.com or a razan hose from Nazarhookah.com
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:45 AM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4llacy
I read a few reviews already, it's just hard to narrow it down. I'll definitely look more into Syrians, I saw a few of those that I liked as well.

What all should I consider purchasing at this point along with the hookah? A new hose has been mentioned, obviously some shisha, and some coals. Are any other accessories worth it (heba diffuser, etc)?

Thanks again,
Jordan.
I like how it seems that you know what your options are and what you're getting yourself into. Someone has been doing their homework! That's good. Like others have said, look into Syrians and quality Traditonals like the ones you mentioned. Also, you can check out socialsmoke.com They have a beautiful selection of Syrian's as well as Traditionals... You could also check out Mya's, but expect to pay a higher price, and it's not "traditonal". But they're bad ass(one of the best in my experience), so it really is up to you and how much you're willing to spend. Just remember, you get what you pay for. And hookahs with a higher price tag, are more expensive for a reason.

In my honest opinion, I think before you start buying a bunch of "enhancing" or "improving" upgrades (such as heba diffuser, Tangier's phunnel bowl, etc.) you should first master hookah smoking with the basic accesories. That way your sessions won't purely rely on a few ugraded accesories. Then after you've accomplished perfect sessions with the stock accesories, you can move into upgrading accesories. At that point, it'll be much more rewarding and satisfying I think...
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:56 AM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

i agree with you partly HookahMaster. i started off with the basics - a clay bowl, the hose it came with, etc etc. later on i bought a nammor hose, a tangiers phunnel bowl... my sessions became so much better once i got this stuff. for once i had a hose that i can lounge with and not have to fight with the pull, and for once i could taste the flavors more clearly because of the phunnel bowl. i wish i could kick myself in the ass (dont we all sambooka :P) because i shouldve bought this stuff sooner!!! then again, working with basic/standard stuff did teach me alot too. we all start from somewhere.. basics tought me about airflow, the importance of cleaning your equipment regularly, etc. it literally haunts me when i havent cleaned my fancy equipment haha..
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:21 AM
HookahETC
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HookahETC

Syrians are the better more higher quality way to go over any Egyptian; including KM's, MZ, and others.
There are plenty of reviews to prove it, just search. Not saying those Egyptians are bad...theres just better out there.
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:28 AM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahETC
Syrians are the better more higher quality way to go over any Egyptian; including KM's, MZ, and others.
There are plenty of reviews to prove it, just search. Not saying those Egyptians are bad...theres just better out there.
+1 hookahETC! if only there were lebanese style hookahs.. their girls are beautiful, i bet their hookahs would be even more beautiful :P
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:44 AM
f4llacy
Hookah Newbie

Again, some great information. I may end up with a qt and move up to a syrian later. I just can't bring myself to spend too much on my first one (yes i know you get what you pay for). I talked to some guys on the chat and narrowed it down. I'm looking at a qt, a small funnel, a nammor hose, a 3x al waha pack and a 1/2 box of golden quick lights. I know the qt has some mixed reviews, and can be subject to harsher smoke if not handled well, but it is more fitting for a college student (at least how I see it).

Still open to suggestions however.

-Jordan.
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:49 AM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Again, some great information. I may end up with a qt and move up to a syrian later. I just can't bring myself to spend too much on my first one (yes i know you get what you pay for). I talked to some guys on the chat and narrowed it down. I'm looking at a qt, a small funnel, a nammor hose, a 3x al waha pack and a 1/2 box of golden quick lights. I know the qt has some mixed reviews, and can be subject to harsher smoke if not handled well, but it is more fitting for a college student (at least how I see it).

-Jordan.
a nammor on a QT? that just wont work! the nammor is pretty darn heavy! i have a nice size hookah and i still have to use tons of tape to keep it in and from falling. its a beast of a hose :P

Old January 4th, 2008, 01:52 AM
f4llacy
Hookah Newbie

I won't leave it hanging on it :P

I don't know, it was recommended that I get a better/washable hose. I'll probably pack it up anyways when it's not in use... then again, it's going to get pretty nasty if it's lying on the table during use. Sigh...
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:59 AM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
I won't leave it hanging on it :P

I don't know, it was recommended that I get a better/washable hose. I'll probably pack it up anyways when it's not in use... then again, it's going to get pretty nasty if it's lying on the table during use. Sigh...
if you do get a QT, be sure that it comes with a hose because if the nammor is too much weight, you might have to save the nammor for when you get a syrian like you were saying. there is a big difference with a nammor though - very pleasurable smoke! keep in mind that mahir from nazar hookah dot com sells a razan hose that is (i think) cheaper and has different colours, its about the same as a nammor (or exactly the same, im not sure!).

also, about the small funnel, good choice! the funnel creates a little pool for the juices to sit in (more flavor!) whereas a normal bowl lets the juices drip down and particles to fall through.

one thing for sure - never be scared of all the choices you have, shisha smoking is so relaxing and elegant that youre bound to get deeper and deeper into it.
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:02 AM
f4llacy
Hookah Newbie

I'll check out the other hose as well...the qt I'm getting does come with one though

Quote:
one thing for sure - never be scared of all the choices you have, shisha smoking is so relaxing and elegant that youre bound to get deeper and deeper into it.
Just from browsing for a while I can already tell this is true. Thanks a bunch!
Old January 4th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Check out the reviews of some of the hookah pipes in the review section. My first hookah pipe was a QT, and to be honest I really didn't like it very much personally, that is just my opinion though.

It actually made me swear off buying another MYA ever again! But I am reconsidering a higher end MYA right now ... only considering right now though. Haven't made up my mind yet.

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahETC
Ha Ha thats funny, its a matter of opinion. Everyone has their opinion and to say that Syrians are better than ANY egyptian out there is highly subjective. Ask Sambooka how his new Syrian compares to his KM. So to blanket statement and say Syrians are superior is flase. Each type has their good points and bad points. I would put my Starbuzz hookah up against any hookah out there, the draw is as easy as breathing.

Billy
Old January 4th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskysibe
Ha Ha thats funny, its a matter of opinion. Everyone has their opinion and to say that Syrians are better than ANY egyptian out there is highly subjective. Ask Sambooka how his new Syrian compares to his KM. So to blanket statement and say Syrians are superior is flase. Each type has their good points and bad points. I would put my Starbuzz hookah up against any hookah out there, the draw is as easy as breathing.

Billy
Yeah, to be honest, I got a syrian, and sold one of my beloved KMs in order to buy it ... I wish I could get my KM back! I have not used my new syrian yet, it sits on a table as a decorative piece for the moment. I continue to use my Egyptian Khalil Mamoun Amer as my daily smoker, it is amazing and provides me with the best smoke I have had out of all the hookahs I have tried. This is just my opinion. I like the Khalil Mamouns and Magdy Zidans. Until I can find a syrian that proves me otherwise? I am always willing to try new hookahs, I am not going to limit myself to ONE, but in the meantime while I look for a second hookah, I will enjoy my Khalil Mamoun Amer.

Old January 4th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:

-Jordan.
A nammor won't work with the QT so you may want to rethink that. More importantly the QT is junk and a total waste of money. Within a year you'll spend AT LEAST $200 on charcoal and shisha which you'll waste on a bit of Chinese garbage. Given that you can get a great KM for about $60 it seems simply crazy to buy a QT for 40-50.
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:19 PM
f4llacy
Hookah Newbie

I'm still shopping around trying to get a good deal. I've abandoned the idea of the qt, it may be small, but I want a quality product. Many of you have advised me that the qt is not. I'm still looking at syrian's and km's... I'll update before I purchase with what I've narrowed it down to.
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

KM is what I would get as a first hookah. My only regret with my KM was I didnt buy it first and save myself all of the headaches of the other 2 prior to it.

Billy
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:28 PM
f4llacy
Hookah Newbie

Any need for a new hose with the km?
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

KM hoses are pretty great, nice and wide. Only thing is they arent washable so eventually you will need to replace. I think they are better than any other hose you will get on a hookah anyhow. I used mine forever until I got some mint that permeated the leather and I had to get a Nammor.
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Km's are good stuff, but personally I am a Magdy Zidan guy....at least for Egyptians.

I see Syrians came up.... so I'll pitch in on that one. Just as there are different models and makers of Egyptian hookahs, the same is for Syrian produced models. Many people run into trouble with Syrians that feature an auto seal system. The draw on those are quite restrained. What you want to look for in a Syrian hookah is a cast stem with a continuous tube running thru it that continues down into the water. I have called this a "cast and sleeved" hookah in the past. The cast parts are heavier and thicker and will hold up to abuse...the importance of the continuous sleeve is so that the hookah is easier to clean versus a hollow casting which has irregular porous surface. I personally believe that sleeved hookas smoke better, but that might just be me. If you can, avoid syrian hookahs that have screw in down stems...its just a weak link in the chain.

I find that Egyptian hookahs are a bit "throatier", they have wider inner stems than Syrians. At least in general.
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:54 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
I'm still shopping around trying to get a good deal. I've abandoned the idea of the qt, it may be small, but I want a quality product. Many of you have advised me that the qt is not. I'm still looking at syrian's and km's... I'll update before I purchase with what I've narrowed it down to.
That seems like a good idea... The Mya QT really can't be compared to Mya's higher end offerings. They're just NOT the same in any way. Buy yourself a cheap KM or Syrian, and when you're ready to upgrade and spend more cash, get your self a high end Mya (north of $140)...
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook