Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Really noobie question

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 4th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Mutter
Hookah Newbie

Default Really noobie question

So i just got my hookah in the mail and ive been reading alot about hookahs and how to work them and everything. One thing i didnt come across is how to use the purge valve. I watched sambookas video on how to clear harsh smoke and he purged it, but im sitting here playing with my hookah and i cant figure out how the prge valve works.

its this one
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...-Green---L.jpg

the hose port has a ball bearing and the purge port also has a ball bearing. when i blow through the hose, the bearing plugs the opening not allowing me to blow through it

Hellppp
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Mutter
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Really noobie question

so theres 7 people so far on a hookah forum that cant tell me how to use a purge valve
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:45 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

you cant purge through an auto-seal Hose port man.

You can try to remove the ball bearing from yout Hose port. That's the only way.

But i have no idea why you have an auto-seal one-hosed stem in the first place....
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:46 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

the purge valve, you have to loosen it. you unscrew it a bit, blow thru the hose, this clears out the harsh smoke thats been sitting around for a while. then you screw it tight again, suck thru the hose and your mouth will be filled with yummy smoke.
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:47 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

What sometimes happens is, the little ballbearing might get a little rusty or stuck in the port. So when you go to blow and clear the chamber, nothing happens. An easy fix for this, is to unscrew the cap on the purge valve. Take out the ballbearing if possible. And lubricate it with some 3 in 1 household oil. This oil will not only lubrictae the ballbearing (letting it move freely), but also protect it and prevent it from rusting. If you can't get the ballbearing out, then just apply the drops into the port (it will inevitably touch the ball) and give it a few shakes. Then blow in from the hose port, and it should move freely...
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:49 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter
So i just got my hookah in the mail and ive been reading alot about hookahs and how to work them and everything. One thing i didnt come across is how to use the purge valve. I watched sambookas video on how to clear harsh smoke and he purged it, but im sitting here playing with my hookah and i cant figure out how the prge valve works.

its this one
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...-Green---L.jpg

the hose port has a ball bearing and the purge port also has a ball bearing. when i blow through the hose, the bearing plugs the opening not allowing me to blow through it

Hellppp
He says he ahs Auto-seal hose port.
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:55 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

ummm, that's the pharoh from hookah shisha. There's no ballbearing in the hose side. That wouldn't make sense. That's why I'm pretty positive that it's the purge port ballbearing that's stuck...
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:57 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Yeah of course. I wonder if he just messed up.
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:59 PM
hookahMaster22
Hookah Newbie

My hookah has auto seal hoses on it too but the hose port unscrews so I can replace the bearings. If your unscrews just take out the bearing.
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

yeah, he might be confusing his problem with what he thinks is a ballbearing in his hose port.

Mutter, let us know what ends up happening...
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Mutter
Hookah Newbie

ok, so there should be a ball bearing in the purge port and not the hose port?

When it arrived, the purge valve along with the ball bearing that goes into the purge valve was already assembled into the stem, and in a little bag was another ball bearing and the hose port attachment, so i figured that the ball bearing goes into the hose port. Is it just a spare?
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:17 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

haha, ball bearing definitely doesnt go into the hose port. the only thing that goes into the hose port is a hose.
Old January 4th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Hey Mutter,

OK, let's see if we can help you out!

Put the hose in the hose port, with a grommet if you have one .. you should.

For the purge valve, you will need to put the ball bearing in, then screw on the valve. On my hookah, I don't have to release the valve, but on yours you will need to loosen the valve a few turns, and gently blow on the hose. Don't blow to hard, or you may blow water up the stem and into your bowl, thereby soaking your bowl and ruining it. OK, so after you clear the smoke by gently blowing it out, turn the valve back down until it is snug again. (NOTE: the valve doesn't have to be turned SUPER tight, just turn it till you get resistance)

Try that out, and let us know how it goes. Makes sense I hope? If not, PM me your number and I will talk you through it.

Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:45 PM
HookahETC
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HookahETC

Single Hose Hookahs should never have a ball bearing in the hose port. Thats unheard of (atleast in my time in this business) and you should probably try to get rid of it if you can. Looking at the picture...it does not seem like the hose port can screw on or off.

Use Hookah-Shishas live hep to ask them personally.
Old January 5th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Mutter
Hookah Newbie

i took the ball bearing out of the hose and it seems to be working now

My hose port does indeed screw off. Also, if i unscrew both the hose port and purge valve and swap them, they still fit fine. Could i have possibly received a stem that can take 2 hoses if i wanted?

Old January 5th, 2008, 01:27 AM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
i took the ball bearing out of the hose and it seems to be working now

My hose port does indeed screw off. Also, if i unscrew both the hose port and purge valve and swap them, they still fit fine. Could i have possibly received a stem that can take 2 hoses if i wanted?

a 2 hoser? you might want to mail that to my house so i can check it out.
Old January 5th, 2008, 01:55 AM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

lol, I figured it was a mistake...anyway, like I said before, try lubing it up with some oil. It'll prevent it from getting stuck in the future. My Egyptian has the same type of hose and purge port that the yours does. They don't unscrew, but they look identical to yours. I had the same problem during my first sesssion, but after I lubed it up, it was fine from there on out...
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Mutter
Hookah Newbie

mine dont look the same as the picture. the whole hookah is identicle except the hose port and purge valve. they are different. ill take a picture and show you
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Mutter
Hookah Newbie

This is with the purge valve (left) and hose port (right) connected

This is with both unscrewed

This is the purge valve and hose port disconnected, and both ball bearings

So now that you see the pictures, can you tell me which part goes where? lol im so confused. it doesnt work like how i seen all the videos.
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:44 AM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Ooohhh, ok, I see now. Yeah, yours are completely different to mine and the picture at hookah-shisha...weird. But anyway, put it back together the way you had it in the first pic. Just make sure to only put one ballbearing in the "purge port" side. Do not put one in the hose port side. And like Sambooka said, it seems that your purge port is the type that will require you to unscrew it a little each time you go to clear the chamber. Also, it seems that the ballbearings are rusted, if I were you, I'd get new ones from hookah-shisha (I believe they're plastic, so they won't rust). Before you put it back together, I HIGHLY recommend you oil the ballbearing up. Trust me, it'll allow it to work for some time, but like I said earlier, you should problaby buy a new ballbearing. Ballbearings are supposed to be clean and shiny, yours look pretty bad, so that's what's causing the problem...
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:51 AM
HookahETC
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HookahETC

Yea just use the hose port without the ball bearing and thats it. From HS's pictures, it makes it seem like every other Egyptian; bored through one piece hose port tubing.
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:51 AM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Also, one more thing. Check out Sambooka's video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zvN1cL1uik

Notice how he untightens the purge valve a little to clear the smoke. Then tightens it back up to keep on smoking. That's what you're gonna have to do with your type of hookah. Most other hookahs I've used/seen don't have this "inconvenience". You can just blow in without having to do anything else, and it'll clear the chamber up completley. But yours is different... Let us know how it goes...
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Mutter
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahMaster
Ooohhh, ok, I see now. Yeah, yours are completely different to mine and the picture at hookah-shisha...weird. But anyway, put it back together the way you had it in the first pic. Just make sure to only put one ballbearing in the "purge port" side. Do not put one in the hose port side. And like Sambooka said, it seems that your purge port is the type that will require you to unscrew it a little each time you go to clear the chamber. Also, it seems that the ballbearings are rusted, if I were you, I'd get new ones from hookah-shisha (I believe they're plastic, so they won't rust). Before you put it back together, I HIGHLY recommend you oil the ballbearing up. Trust me, it'll allow it to work for some time, but like I said earlier, you should problaby buy a new ballbearing. Ballbearings are supposed to be clean and shiny, yours look pretty bad, so that's what's causing the problem...
Ok, thanks for the help everyone!

Also, i did notice that the ball bearings are rusted, i thought i was buying the hookah brand new (bought it from hookah-shisha, and ive never used it once) so shouldnt everything have been brand new? The hose tastes like its been smoked out of, the stem smells like its been smoked out of, and the bowl smells sorta smokey, though it looks brand new. Hmm, i didnt know if this was a normal thing so i didnt complain about it, but now that you mention the ball bearings, im just wondering if i was sold a used stem
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:13 AM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the help everyone!

Also, i did notice that the ball bearings are rusted, i thought i was buying the hookah brand new (bought it from hookah-shisha, and ive never used it once) so shouldnt everything have been brand new? The hose tastes like its been smoked out of, the stem smells like its been smoked out of, and the bowl smells sorta smokey, though it looks brand new. Hmm, i didnt know if this was a normal thing so i didnt complain about it, but now that you mention the ball bearings, im just wondering if i was sold a used stem
In all honesty dude, if I was you, I'd get in contat with hookah shisha. Because if it smells like it's been used, then it's probably because it has in fact been used. I would never even think that a reputable vendor like HS would advertise and sell a brand new hookah, only to send out a used one to the customer. You are right, the ballbearings should be new and in perfect condition, and the hookah or any other accesories of it shouldn't smell like anything else but air. Call them up before you use it and tell them the difficulty you've been having. They're also a member of this forum, so you can also send them a message with pics showing the rusted ballbearings. I'm sure they'll take care of you...
Old January 5th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Mutter
Hookah Newbie

i really dont want to go through the hassle of sending it back to get a new one. it will eventually smell like smoke anyway, and ill just get replacement ball bearings. All the grommets seem new, theres no rust or anything in the stem, and the vase is definitely new. the hose was replaced instantly with a nammor so im not really worried about it. If a representative of hookah-shisha comes on and sees my post and wants to send me some ball bearings, ill gladly accept them, but im pretty impatient to start smoking out of this thing
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook