Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

What Smoking Has Done to My Health

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 6th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default What Smoking Has Done to My Health

Recently I had to go see a doctor to get approval for my immigration and a funny thing happened. According to chest x-rays, various cardiopulmonary and tests for any other serious, common disease. According to the doctor my physical condition is the same as it was 20 years ago when immigrated here and left military service. Outside of being 12 kilos heavier ( in American terms Iím 6'1" and 225 lb) my health hasnít changed at all and Iím better off then most folks my age. This happened while smoking either narghiles, pipes or cigars almost daily.

The doctor asked if I made a mistake when I checked the box on a form indicating I smoke and I said no. He then asked me what and how often I smoke and I told him he launched into a typical anti-tobacco harangue to which I replied that either tobacco is not the demon you say it is or your examination is totally wrong.
Old January 6th, 2008, 03:18 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer
Default Re: What Smoking Has Done to My Health

everyones body is different, some will get worse fairly quickly when smoking, some will have slight changes and some will have no changes in their health. its a little like playing russian roulette, you may be one of the people who dont get sick but another person may be a person who gets cancer easily.
Old January 6th, 2008, 04:52 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Yes, i agree with Boom, my family is a bunch of tough mutha truckers when it comes to smoking, My Grandpa didn't smoke, but was a Safety Manager for a company called ASARCO for 25 or 30 years, where he literally spent his days in smoke-stacks!

No one in my family has ever been diagnosed with cancer related to smoking. We are more prone to arthritis...

My Grandparents have smoked cigs for 30+ years and just have horrible, horrible, horrible teeth (or no teeth).
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:05 AM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Am I the only one who's smiling about this?! I think Hajo's situation, gives everybody some "hope" and answers a lot of questions about the whole "cigarrette vs. hookah" debate. I think this is at least some type of evidence that hookah smokiing IS IN FACT healthier than smoking cigarettes. I bet if Hajo would've been smoking cigarettes all these years, his lungs would look WAY different. I'm not saying that it's safe to assume that hookah smoking is not bad for you at all. Of course it is, because our lungs weren't designed to use anything but oxygen. But I do think that it's safe to say that hookah smoking is healthier and/or less harmfull than smoking cigarettes...
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:09 AM
FURsAKeN
Hookah Enthusiast

Different people, Different resistances; to put it short and sweet.

/root
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:15 AM
boomhauer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURsAKeN
exactly, that was the point of my and zen's post.

have two people smoke one pack of cigs a day since they where 18. guy #1 may never get cancer and guy #2 may get cancer. both might get it but at different times, both may never get it. there are so many factors and it just depends on a persons body.
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:19 AM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FURsAKeN
exactly, that was the point of my and zen's post.

have two people smoke one pack of cigs a day since they where 18. guy #1 may never get cancer and guy #2 may get cancer. both might get it but at different times, both may never get it. there are so many factors and it just depends on a persons body.
But, I can gaurantee you both guy1 and guy2 will have lungs that are black and deteriorated after so many years of smoking cigarettes. True, one might get cancer, and the other might not. But the evidence of them having smoked for so many years, will come up in the lung x-rays. Hajo stated that his lung xrays came clean and that his doctor would've never imagined that he was a smoker. This obviously proves a little something about the effects of smoking hookah vs. the effects of smoking cigarettes.
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:12 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

I agree what everybody said above but still i think hookah is 1/10 as dangerus as other methods of smoking such as cigs, cigars, pipes, etc. i've been smoking hookah for several years now and i find that my physical condition is the same as it used to be, although i dont work out as much as i used to. (That's the bad effects of hookah - not having time to work out). And that is with smoking at least 5 bowls a week and peaking to 15-20 bowls.

Old January 7th, 2008, 09:57 PM
OBY
Hookah Newbie

I don't smoke anything but hookah... nothing against cig or cigar smoker... I infact love the smell of cigars. Anyways I have had sucky health all my life... I guess what i have/had was called Crohns Disease.... I now have no signs of it and am healthier than I have ever been, says my blood results.

I am determined to figure out the health risks of hookahs compared to cigs or cigars.
Old January 7th, 2008, 11:08 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

It honestly cannot be that bad.... Of course, you inhale a TON more smoke in one session, but in no way is it as toxic as any other way. Not even the fact it's water filtered, just that you really aren't Smoking the tobacco, so much as baking it and vaporizing the glycerine.
Old January 7th, 2008, 11:15 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk
It honestly cannot be that bad.... Of course, you inhale a TON more smoke in one session, but in no way is it as toxic as any other way. Not even the fact it's water filtered, just that you really aren't Smoking the tobacco, so much as baking it and vaporizing the glycerine.
if it was just that then soex would be as good as most any other brand and maybe one person in every 50 can say they are alright soex, one in every 100 will say they like it.
Old January 7th, 2008, 11:22 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Hmm, yes, but i don't think Sugar cane fiber is a very good base, it doesn't have as much body as tobacco. And the Glycerine used may not be high quality, same as the flavouring.

I do not end up with Blackened shisha after a bowl is depleted, but it is completely dry and i admit there are blackened areas in some spaces, but they are not large at all, minuscule in fact. That's what's lead me to believe that the glycerine is what creates the most smoke, the tobacco adds as a base, and it is cooked thourougly, only not burned like in a Cig or Cigar or pipe, hence the smooth non-irritating smoke. When you start to hear the tobacco sizzle you get that burnt smell, and the tobacco is "burning", and that's not what you want.

But hey, i could definitely be wrong of course.
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:08 AM
OBY
Hookah Newbie

I was in a phase of making my own shisha and made several batches....

One batch had no glycerin and had honey or molasses and did not smoke worth a hoot.

Next batch had some vegetable oil which has hardly any glycerin in it but still some... and it had very little smoke.

Next we bought glycerin and put a few table spoons in it... it was better smoke yet but still not ideal.... the next batch we unloaded tons of glycerin... I would say it was 50% glycerin 20% corn syrup 5% water and 25% tobacco.... this combo smoked like a dream but the flavorings did not show up.

Now I was talking to eric and he said he had a recipe similar to mine but it had a little different percentages.... But his flavor comes out... now if I knew where to get flavor that actually is useful rather than cooking oils then I could give a good recipe for home made shisha.

This leads me to think that the tobacco is only there for the sole purpose of nicotine.... has nothing to do with smoke since I tried it without glycerin and no smoke.... Even though there was no smoke I do think I was getting the nicotine....

I also did research on glycerin and realized that it is not very toxic.... while some glycerin is (like the kind found in oil used for gasoline and such) most of the food grade or beauty supplies glycerin is perfectly safe. They even use glycerin as an alternative to sugars to sweeten foods.

Thats my thought on shisha.... Maybe I should have made a new topic or something....
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Canon
Hookah Newbie

usually when i smoke the next day i run a little slower than if i didnt smoke, other then that.. no change in my health yet.
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBY
This leads me to think that the tobacco is only there for the sole purpose of nicotine.... has nothing to do with smoke since I tried it without glycerin and no smoke.... Even though there was no smoke I do think I was getting the nicotine....
Not to put too fine a point on it but you're wrong. Tobacco can and often does (and should in my view) add something to the taste of mu'essel and often in older fashioned products it is the dominant flavour. Now it is true that some mu'essel is so heavily processed that no tobacco flavour is left yet the texture of the the smoke still has the full bodied qualities that cane sugar, cabbage, cale or what not lacks. Basically, tobacco gives the smoke body that you can't get other wise although lots of chemicals when vaporized produce smoke the composition of the smoke varies depending upon what created it. If you ever try old fashioned tobamels or juraks you'll notice that they often have no glycerine yet they smoke they create is a good deal denser and richer then what sugar cane can give you even with a lot of glycerine mixed in with it.

As to nicotine the heavily processed sorts of mu'essel don't really have much because like decent cigars the fermentation process drives off most of the tar and nicotine and assuming you don't inhale you'll have no measurable nicotine in your blood stream after smoking. I know a cigar maker in Costa Rica and i've seen the test data so given that mu'essel production has prolonged processing at higher temperatures it stands to reason that a similar, but more pronounced change, will take place. I know this as well because a friend and fellow narghile fan happens to be a doctor and he has the equipment needed to test for nicotine which is something that happens when you apply for health coverage. Basically, numerous tests he's done show that pipes, cigars and narghile use don't test positive if you don't inhale. Of course I know a lot of you guys fill your lungs with the smoke rather then just savour the texture and taste like I do so.....
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

As to the matter of risks of smoking I hope that no one thinks Iím saying that it's a risk free hobby. The reality is that smoking a pack of American cigarettes a day will increase your risk factors for a bunch of nasty aliments 4-8 fold over that of the typical American non-smoker. Still, if you read the Colby book I have mentioned before you'll note that anti-smoking studies can't explain the vast range of risk factors associated with smoking and the dramatic variations found in cancer incidents found a round the world. Partly, it is almost certainly a genetic matter but in the Western World the problem is one of the various methodological biases Iíve talked about before as well as differences in smoking method.

Some of you may recall how the old Surgeon General Reports found no evidence to support the notion that cigar and pipe usage hold the risks popularly associated with cigarette use. While that clearly has something to do with the chemical properties of pipe tobacco and hand made cigars (the curing/fermentation methods Iíve mentioned already) as well as smoking methods weíve got to recall the socio-demographic factors that Colby and many others have raised before.

As to my experiences note that no well designed studies actually exist dealing with the risks of cigarette uses let a lone narghiles so we are certainly doing something that the actual risk factors are largely unknown even though we know that the commonly perceived risks are wildly over stated.

Beyond that I would suggest that I doubt my current state of health would be as good as it is if I were a cigarette smoker or if I inhaled.
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:02 PM
cemab4y
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to cemab4y

Smoking is definetly dangerous to your health. No doubt about it. Case closed. That being said- There are people who can use tobacco for decades, and not suffer any deleterious effects at all. The human body has internal defenses, and some people are virutally immune to damage from smoking.

My father is 77, he has been smoking two packs a day since he was 8 years old. He is in reasonably good health for a man his age. My mother is 76, and also two packs a day, since she was in college. Also, in reasonably good health for her age.

The relationship between tobacco and illness, is based on statistical analysis. That is why insurance companies charge higher rates for smokers.
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

The question of the risks of smoking is actually exceedingly complicated and in the end it is statistical as is everything else in life. Yet the truth is that mainstream tobacco research is junk science of the worst sort with biases and method problems that are severe that the field simply can't be taken seriously by anyone interested empirical study. If you want to learn about the issues at stake a good place to start would the numerous links i've posted in the past and http://www.lcolby.com/ has a bunch of great stuff on issues at stake. As to insurance companies we should be realistic and understand that could care less about the soundness of any sort of research and will instead accept without question any mainstream study that will justify higher rates.

Old January 12th, 2008, 02:38 PM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

well, whatever you do in life is gonna have risk involved. and putting something other than just air in your lungs is almost always going to have a bad effect. its just which is worse, cigarettes or shisha. i think cigarettes are a lot worse [maybe just an excuse] but that in the end, its your risk to take.
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmere868
well, whatever you do in life is gonna have risk involved. and putting something other than just air in your lungs is almost always going to have a bad effect. its just which is worse, cigarettes or shisha. i think cigarettes are a lot worse [maybe just an excuse] but that in the end, its your risk to take.
What you say is basically true. However, the question is one of the actual risk involved and once one tosses out the junk science and hysteria a careful reading what research around will show those of use with a bit of methodological training that the risks of cigarette use has been wildly overstated.

Very little worthwhile research has been done on narghile use but given the genetic issues are poorly understood and the range of smoking methods very so dramatically the prospects for worth while studies coming along. Of course, given that strong institutional biases exist with public health organizations these days it's economic suicide to try to publish a study that is not towing the anti-tobacco line.

Given that i've been smoking for 36 years with zero ill effect i'm not prone to buy into the anti-tobacco hysteria. Still, I do understand that i'm incurring a substantial risk but in the end I believe that my quality of life is higher thanks to tobacco.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook