Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Having troubles with my KM (and Vortex)--help me?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 27th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Debo09
Hookah Newbie

Default Having troubles with my KM (and Vortex)--help me?

Hey all. Recently purchased + received a 29 inch trimetal KM from John. It's a lovely rig, although I feel like I'm not getting the maximum I can get out of it. I feel like the smoke is thick for about 15-20 minutes, then it dies out. I use 3 CH instant lite coals (school, so it's silly to buy a coil burner now. getting one in summer) on a vortex bowl.

The Vortex didn't fit properly on. I used electrical tape as a sort of grommet, and it works fine now. Although, I think I am not packing the Vortex right. I watched videos, and people talked about getting ~2 hours on their Vortex, but with me and one other friend smoking, we get about an hour TOPS. We've smoked only Starbuzz now, but I'm mainly a Naklha smoker

Also, it feels/sounds as if the KM hose is a tinyyyyy bit to small for the stem opening. I feel as if it doesn't fit snug into it, it may be me though. Any ideas if I can test this out/fix it if true.

I'd love to get longer sessions and huge clouds with this hookah, as its a beautiful rig. But unless I fix these things, it might not get as much love as it should from me. Help?
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:41 PM
confuciusFinn
Hookah Newbie

Location: Cincinnati, OH, in the summer, Springfield, OH, during the school term
Default Re: Having troubles with my KM (and Vortex)--help me?

Use a piece of paper towel (ie bounty) for the bowl and hose seal; not only do they work great, but you can easily shape them to fit any size you need. Your problem is most likely do to the coals you are using/how you are poking the holes.
You didn't mention hole pattern, so if you don't know don't poke a hole in the middle--some people will tell you to but it isn't a good idea. Also use the metal clips from those big paper clamps in the middle of your vortex bowl to increase smoke flow as they prop up the aluminum foil, even whilst hitting the hose.
The only thing I can think of is that there might be a problem with the seal of your base and stem. For this use a full paper towel and poke the stem through the paper towel. Make sure the paper isn't covering the holes at the bottom of the stem when you place it down.
These are just some general tips that you might already know. I hope this helps.
Old November 27th, 2009, 07:10 PM
BigBlind
Hookah Pro

Try the tips that confusiousFinn gave, but i think he has the vortex and the Phunnel mix up!!! there is no hole in the middle of a vortex to poke a hole or put a paper clamp.
Old November 27th, 2009, 09:52 PM
slick_johnson
Hookah Pro

For bowl and hose fitting, just wrap a strip of wet paper towel to the thickness necessary to create a good seal. As far as your session duration with the Vortex, I have never gotten 2 hrs out of mine, only about 1.5. You have to remember that you are smoking with another person and that will always burn the flavor up quicker. Oh, and if you were going to use the Vortex with Nakhla, don't worry about it. It's not wet enough to need it. Nakhla smokes just fine in Egyptian bowls.
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:35 PM
JiX'
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_johnson View Post
For bowl and hose fitting, just wrap a strip of wet paper towel to the thickness necessary to create a good seal. As far as your session duration with the Vortex, I have never gotten 2 hrs out of mine, only about 1.5. You have to remember that you are smoking with another person and that will always burn the flavor up quicker. Oh, and if you were going to use the Vortex with Nakhla, don't worry about it. It's not wet enough to need it. Nakhla smokes just fine in Egyptian bowls.
what r you packing the majority of the time slick and how much heat? and def don't need a vortex for nak. i only use it on my super washed shisha like my sb or fumari.

and have u thought about about going two coals and juggling a windcover instead of 3 coals? its what i do and most of the time it displaces plenty of heat to my bowl. might help ya gain a bit more length to your bowls
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:41 PM
slick_johnson
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiX' View Post
what r you packing the majority of the time slick and how much heat? and def don't need a vortex for nak. i only use it on my super washed shisha like my sb or fumari.
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking me here. I told him a Vortex wasn't necessary for Nakhla.
Old November 28th, 2009, 01:04 AM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

Are you ashing your coals? CH QLs have a weird way of ashing, where instead of falling off, it stays on, ou need to drop the coal in the tray to take of the cooled down ash on the outside and then put the coals back on. Fow most of my tobacco i will use anywhere from 2 coals + wind cover. Some times a third coal with things like JMs.

also, are you using a grommet with the hose? a KM hose and a KM hose port should fit perfect if you have a hose grommet. Also, the vortex bowl needs a mod bowl grommet, not a standard one.

Hope these help.
22" Temsaah Mini-Wheat
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook