Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

what do you think of this?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 8th, 2008, 08:40 PM
fuz1987
Hookah Newbie

Default what do you think of this?

hey ppl... i'm new to this forum although i've been smoking shisha for about 4 years lol.... i bought my own shisha a few months back but i NEVER seem to be able to get the same amount of smoke or flavor at all.... a friend of mine told me that its because my hookah isn't an egyptian one and that the design is all wrong and that's why its not the same as how it was at the hookah lounges, etc.

i'm pretty sure i'm making it right because i've watched friends make it countless times as well as checked out some youtube videos.

i found the following hookah online and was wondering if anybody on here has one like it and whether they can recommend one to me... apparently there's a brand called "Khalil Mamoon" which is meant to be the best hookah brand available.... i know that it also comes down to the tobacco which is why i'm also planning on ordering some al fakher from the hookah-shisha.com website

here is the link for the hookah pipe:
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...?idproduct=156

i deliberately chose one with an ice box because whenever i try mine the smoke becomes harsh and tasteless after a few minutes or so and the ice in the base doesn't ever seem to work properly

can somebody PLEASE help me?!
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:50 PM
OBY
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: what do you think of this?

What kind of tobacco are you using..?

Coals?

Foil or aluminum screen over the bowl?

Whenever I can't get it to smoke as good as I want I add more heat. That might not be the best way to do it but it works for me. I am not a pro and I don't even have a normal hookah instead I have a home made hookah table (search "hookah table" for pics)

Be sure your hookah is airtight...

Thats all I can suggest try searching through the forum and I am sure someone will prob have better suggestions.

Welcome!
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:56 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

First off, welcome to the forums.

Now on to the problem... Just because yours isn't a "true egyptian", doesn't mean diddly squat. I own a 33 inch true Egyptian and I also own two Mya's (which are chinese by the way). To put it in short words: The Mya I have is the BEST hookah I've smoked out of so far (in over three years of smoking). This is even comparing to not only my own but several other egyptians, my friends Syrian, and various other hookahs at local lounges. So trust me when I say that Egyptian hookahs are not always the best, and there are better performing options out there.

From what it seems to me, I think your problem is something you're doing wrong in prepping the hookah. You can watch someone do it a million times, but it's not something you can do right just by looking. There are some tricks and secrets you must know in order to have a good session. You can buy the most expensive and best hookah in the world, and it wouldn't matter if you don't prep it right. Correct prepping of the hookah and the proper packing of the bowl, matters way more than what hookah type/brand you have (to an extent).

Give us more details on your prepping methods. How do you pack your bowl? What shisha brand do you use? What's your hole placement like? Where's your water level? What coals do you use? Do you use foil or a metal screen?
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:09 PM
fuz1987
Hookah Newbie

hmm its hard to explain without making it sound like the standard prepping.... i could possibly make a video if you like and maybe that way you'd be able to tell me what i'm doing wrong? the tobacco i'm using is apple al fakher but currently its in a little plastic bag and then inside a ziplock sandwich bag lol.... and that's because one of my friends said i had the fake al fakher which is pure shi* and that i should try some of his "real" al fakher.... let me know if you'd like me to make a video, if not then i'll put up a detailed explanation of how i prep it all.

p.s. thank you guys so much lol i didn't realise some people could be so helpful, and so fast in replying!
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:15 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuz1987
hmm its hard to explain without making it sound like the standard prepping.... i could possibly make a video if you like and maybe that way you'd be able to tell me what i'm doing wrong? the tobacco i'm using is apple al fakher but currently its in a little plastic bag and then inside a ziplock sandwich bag lol.... and that's because one of my friends said i had the fake al fakher which is pure shi* and that i should try some of his "real" al fakher.... let me know if you'd like me to make a video, if not then i'll put up a detailed explanation of how i prep it all.

p.s. thank you guys so much lol i didn't realise some people could be so helpful, and so fast in replying!
Sure, don't worry about it. We're here to help...

Tell you what, check out the following video by Sambooka http://youtube.com/watch?v=k_BCJ1xOQTE

Compare what you do, to everything he does in that video, and see if you're doing something wrong. Also check out this video for fixing harsh smoke http://youtube.com/watch?v=2zvN1cL1uik

The brand you're using is supposed to be good. Everyone around here loves it. I haven't tried it personally, but I've read from other members that it's really good. So that isn't the problem. What coals do you use? Bad coals could completely ruin a session and cause a nasty taste...
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
hey ppl... i'm new to this forum although i've been smoking shisha for about 4 years lol.... i bought my own shisha a few months back but i NEVER seem to be able to get the same amount of smoke or flavor at all.... a friend of mine told me that its because my hookah isn't an egyptian one and that the design is all wrong and that's why its not the same as how it was at the hookah lounges, etc.

i'm pretty sure i'm making it right because i've watched friends make it countless times as well as checked out some youtube videos.

i found the following hookah online and was wondering if anybody on here has one like it and whether they can recommend one to me... apparently there's a brand called "Khalil Mamoon" which is meant to be the best hookah brand available.... i know that it also comes down to the tobacco which is why i'm also planning on ordering some al fakher from the hookah-shisha.com website

i deliberately chose one with an ice box because whenever i try mine the smoke becomes harsh and tasteless after a few minutes or so and the ice in the base doesn't ever seem to work properly

Lots of ground to cover here but i'll give it a shot. First of all the rig in the photo is a Chinese made rig which i've used and found no real problems other then it being too poorly built to last. You can get a decent session out of it but it's not worth the cost and it's materials are pretty mediocre.

As to Egyptian stuff i've found that a lot of it is junk so simply being from Egypt doesn't mean much. I understand that Magdy Zidan is an excellent brand and I know from tons of personal experience that Khalil Mamoun are excellent as are El Ashrey narghiles.

Ice chambers can be great but only if they are well built and used on an otherwise great rig. My Khalil Mamoun and Furat al Muktar ice chamber narghiles are both fantastic so if you want an ice chamber i'd recomend on of those.

In terms of how much smoke you get it is somewhat dependent upon what you put in your bowl but the truth is that how you pack and how good your heat management method matter far more. You also should get your water level right ( 30mm above the bottom of the down stem) if you wnat the session to go well.
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:47 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:

I'm gonna go with coals. Your coals are most likely your problem, as with all new hookah smokers. You are most likely using terrible Quick Light coals (that you light with a lighter) that taste horrible and are adding coal taste to your shisha or even completely over-powering it.

This coal taste can stick in your hookah, base, hose, and bowl as will the burnt shisha taste as well. if you don't thoroughly clean out your hookah you will get taste from previous smoked flavors.

You don't need an Egyptian style hookah to have good sessions. Tell your friend he is not smart. . Your hookah is fine, and you can get clouds from it. It has a Mya stem and base because H-S changed up alot of their line to include mya parts. you can tell a Mya by it's spherical heart shape (the part where the hoses come out of). if you bought that hookah within 1 month ago, you can get a new replacement base if it is not working properly from H-S free of charge if you talk to them.

Another problem could be your hookah is not sealed completely, in other words it is not air tight. You said there is a problem with the base, so maybe there is an air leak. It is just put together with glue after all.

Myas are very reliable hookahs, but some things can go wrong like with any Rig.

i would prefer that first of all you clean it out completely with Lemon juice or Vinegar and try to blow any crusty crap out of the hose.

Oo, one other idea is that you could be burning the shisha instead if lightly cooking it. If you burn the tobacco then it will taste terrible.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook