Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Thinking my hookah might be dead..

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 1st, 2009, 01:50 AM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

Default Thinking my hookah might be dead..

My hookah is very similar to this model: http://www.smoking-hookah.com/product/40724001.asp but it has a different base and is more chrome. I'm sure it's Chinese, and has a common chamber. Every time I smoke for the past week or so, I can't seem to get it to stop scratching my throat.

I'm not being a noob here. I know how to pack a bowl correctly and I've tried washing my hookah out, different shisha etc but I seem to have a throat tickle every time and it's really bugging me. I couldn't even smoke my Nak DA that I just got after about 15 minutes. The flavor tastes good and isn't tickly up until the point that the smoke actually becomes nice and fluffy.

My Question: Could this be a sign that my hookah has gone bad? I can't seem to get it out of my head after seeing that thread about rusty common chambers.
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:53 AM
daddyhugen
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Thinking my hookah might be dead..

Cancer....jk, i guess its just the Chinese hookahs
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:55 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo

I really doubt it has to do with rust.

I smoked on a rusty hookah for months with no problem. And, I get the problem from time to time on any of my hookahs, all of which are in excellent shape.

I'm starting to think it might have something to do with the batch of shisha, or possibly dramatic changes in the air moisture or something.
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:57 AM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

I've had this same problem with every shisha I've smoked recently though. Some I've tried acclimating, even. Smoking the same shisha out of my new pumpkin doesn't seem to be as bad, even though I was using QLs at the time. I've tried removing a coal, removing both coals and letting it cool before putting them back, everything you would really think of to try or find as suggestions on here.
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:59 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefaded View Post
I've had this same problem with every shisha I've smoked recently though. Some I've tried acclimating, even. Smoking the same shisha out of my new pumpkin doesn't seem to be as bad, even though I was using QLs at the time.
Weird. Well, it's lost on me! But I still can't imagine that it's because of rust.
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:12 AM
hookahstore
Vendor

Try drinking something during your session.
Might be that your throat is dry.
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:29 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

First do yourself one big favor and take a flashlight and shine it into the holes of the plated common chamber you might find the answer to your problem there Mine went the same way and once I found that rust and opened the heart and cleaned it out and reassembled it smoked fine and the scratchy throat went away until the rust started again.
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:31 AM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

how would you open the heart without busting the welds?
Old December 1st, 2009, 03:00 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Quote:
This hookah was fashioned with care from top to bottom. Its stylish brass shaft is made of stainless steel that disassembles for easy cleaning .With a thick red glass base adding extra curve your smoking enjoyment will always be enhanced by this unique expression and design.
First unscrew the works so that you have the heart on its own Btw the purge and Hoseport should unscrew as well next turn the heart around so that the chamber plate is up most you notice that there is no weld but a fold over joint for the top of the heart onto the chamberplate the next step is to pry up that joint going slowly until you have gone right around that should alow the chamber plate prtion to come out of the heart. Next I clean the rust and gunk out of the heart and plate then I took a grinder and ground away the pried up portion just leaving a lip for the chamberplate to sit in and went searching for an o-ring of the right size to fit between the chamberplate and the heart. Then by reasembling the stem it should be held together. and work as before.
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

my purge unscrews but the hose port does not seem to want to come out, I've even tried pliers on it. I used a flashlight but the holes on the chamber are so small I couldn't really see into them. I think I'll just wait until I get paid on Thursday and buy myself a nice new rig - I've been wanting an upgrade anyway. Thanks for the suggestions though, glostersa. I'd try it if I could figure out how to actually get it to come apart. I'll keep it though and maybe try when I have a better grasp on how to do it.
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:28 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Top where bowl sits unscrews from Stemtube Downtube unscrews from Stemtube and that stemtube unscrews from heart
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:30 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Sounds like too much heat to me. Nakhla does this with too much heat, AF does this with any heat, Starbuzz does this with too much heat, tangiers especially does this with too much heat/bad pack.

I know you're not a noob, I promise. Sometimes the climate changes and relative humidity really mess with your coals and tobacco.

Unless there is a serious problem, the hookah is not causing this.
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:08 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

sometimes i get a run of a few bad seshs in a row too. It's the old sports axiom "99% of the time it's you, not the equipment", doesn't mean you're a noob there's just something you're doing too much or not doing. I mean definitely clean your rig out and see it helps but if u think about it the hookah physically would have very little effect over the harshness of the smoke it generates

"From zero to hookah, in nothing flat."
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:18 PM
Crown Hookahs
Vendor

Send a message via AIM to Crown Hookahs

Whether the tingle is attributed to the hookah or not I think you'd be better just getting a new hookah anyway. Those hookahs are terribly made, take it from someone who has to sell them Seriously though, I hope they really don't sell those for $69.. you can get those in many local shops for $35 or so.
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:21 PM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

oh I didn't buy it online, I got it at trails for $40 or $45.
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:27 PM
skywirest

I had trouble with my hookah which is comparable to yours. In all honesty, with respect to AF shisha, you really have to add ice to the base and keep low heat on it or it will be harsh no question about it. I am not a noob either, but I have had the tendency to want to overheat my shisha and that will cause the harshness every time. My suggestion would be to stop using quick lights, I know they are easy and "quick" but I have a scratchy throat nearly every time I use them.
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:34 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Drinking something might be the key. Also, I would make sure that your hose (if "washable") is clean before each session.
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:43 PM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywirest View Post
I had trouble with my hookah which is comparable to yours. In all honesty, with respect to AF shisha, you really have to add ice to the base and keep low heat on it or it will be harsh no question about it. I am not a noob either, but I have had the tendency to want to overheat my shisha and that will cause the harshness every time. My suggestion would be to stop using quick lights, I know they are easy and "quick" but I have a scratchy throat nearly every time I use them.
I've been getting the same result with Nak, AF, and SB, with different heat management techniques. I only use QLs with my pumpkin because I'm usually not in a place with a coil burner when I use it. I use CocoNaras normally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyb View Post
Drinking something might be the key. Also, I would make sure that your hose (if "washable") is clean before each session.
I'll make sure to try drinking something when I get home, but my hose is not washable.
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

check the hose for rust... my first mya hose rusted, that'll give you a tickle.

Old December 1st, 2009, 03:03 PM
Bogalu
Banned

Chances are if its a smaller hookah then when you smoke it it will bubble and have small traces of water infiltrate its way into the hose, especially if its a cheap chinese, that hose will rust out extremely quick, my vote is the hose too. Try smoking out of it without the hose by smoking it straight from the hose port. Warning, it may be a little stronger then what your used to due to the fact that there is no restriction without the hose on anymore.
Old December 1st, 2009, 03:34 PM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

I'll try the hookah without the hose when I get home, thanks for the suggestion. BTW: my hookah is about 24 -28 inches, not small.
Old December 1st, 2009, 03:36 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

sometimes u get a little water up there even in the biggest/best hookahs, plus its a moisture rich environment anyways... def check the hose, if its rusting really bad point the hookah end onto a peice of paper and blow thru it, little rust flecks should fly out...

Old December 1st, 2009, 03:38 PM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

I'm not getting any rust flecks, which is why I didn't have any suspicion that my hose is rusting. It's a higher-quality hose (KM Rainbow) and I haven't had it for that long, but I will check the port without the hose.
Old December 1st, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

I get this with some of my shisha wehn the bowl is about dust
Old December 1st, 2009, 04:20 PM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

bowls can go bad?
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook