Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

how to get really smooth smoke.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 12th, 2008, 09:49 AM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

Default how to get really smooth smoke.

ok, well im really new to this, and have read some of the discussions on this site and have learnt a lot. i was just wondering if anyone had some generic tips on how to get really thick and smooth smoke ,whatever the hookah. thanks a lot
Old January 12th, 2008, 10:05 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Default Re: how to get really smooth smoke.

unfortunately there is no one trick/tip to give you that. Practice and some luck, a good rig and tobacco helps too.

Basically try some cold water/ice in the base, pack the bowl right (the practice part), light & COOK your coals (ashed over) and if everything right (and the planet's are aligned right, Jupiter's in the 9th phase and...) you should get smooth thick smoke.

Some good brands to start with (tobacco wise): Al Fakher, Layalina, Al Waha (as well as others) - but these have been proven producers.

Good luck and keep reading around the board!
Old January 12th, 2008, 10:23 AM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

thanks! i shall try all of these ideas. the one thing im not so sure about is the packing of the bowl. should i be breaking it up? filling it to the rim? leavig a litle space between foil and shisha??

but thanks . you guys are so helpful!
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:09 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I would break it up, yes, but only if it is in large clumps as it most of the time is. Use your fingers so you have a little precision when loading a Head. Pack it slightly loose, you can pack it down a tiny bit but not too much, you gotta keep good airflow through the tobacco to enhance flavor and ease of pulls. Pack it slightly below the rim, and put your foil on. What i like to do is give the Bowl a good shake, then blow through the bottom to open up all possible airways (after i poke holes of course). Then place your bowl on and practice some Heat Management!
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:55 PM
CarolinaJohn
Hookah Nut

Great ideas so far. Ifound that adding a can of coconut milk to the water makes for a very flavorful and smooth thicker smoke....
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:34 PM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

thanks a lot guys! ZenSilk obviously knows what he is doing!

what are the best coals to use to get good smooth smoke?
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:57 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Natural Coals!

Exoticas are all the rage, and they are being reformulated to be even better. Some people like QL coals as well. They are easy to light and don't take much time, but release literal clouds of noxious fumes so they must be lit outside.
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:01 PM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

what are exotica coals like? are they fingers, or separate coals? i'd love to try them out if you recommend them!
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:15 PM
hookahMaster22
Hookah Newbie

Exotica coals are are tightly compact fingers that are shaped with flat sides. Basically enlongated cubes that wont roll around on your bowl. The only catch is they are extremely hard to break. Unless you have a hacksaw. Aside from that they are some of the best coals on the market.

When breaking up my shisha tobacco I put it in a jar or plastic container with a lid and shake it up. This technique breaks it up nice and makes it almost fluffy. (Always large clouds of smoke.)

Also using a wind cover helps keep a consistent even heat over the entire bowl. (very helpful)
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:23 PM
CarolinaJohn
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahMaster22
Exotica coals are are tightly compact fingers that are shaped with flat sides. Basically enlongated cubes that wont roll around on your bowl. The only catch is they are extremely hard to break. Unless you have a hacksaw. Aside from that they are some of the best coals on the market.

When breaking up my shisha tobacco I put it in a jar or plastic container with a lid and shake it up. This technique breaks it up nice and makes it almost fluffy. (Always large clouds of smoke.)

Also using a wind cover helps keep a consistent even heat over the entire bowl. (very helpful)
Do use the wind cover regardless..inside or out?
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:26 PM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

thanks a lot hookah master. you've been very helpful.!!
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:36 PM
hookahMaster22
Hookah Newbie

Even indoors there are drafts of air. It helps protect the coals and perform to their fullest.
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmere868
what are exotica coals like? are they fingers, or separate coals? i'd love to try them out if you recommend them!
Exotica's are good like others have said, but it's a hassle to light because they are naturals. At least for me it is, because I had to buy a portable stove in order to light them. In all honesty, this depends upon where you smoke, but if you want convenience try Golden Coals. These are quicklights and don't give of any taste whatsoever. Just make sure to wait until they're red hot and a little thin layer of ash formed before putting them on the bowl.

A lot of people don't like quicklights because the say it gives off a chemical taste throughout the session and ruins the taste of the shisha. However Golden coals (which are quicklights) don't. In the past couple of weeks, I've been testing the Golden Coals I usually use, against the Exotica natural coals. Yesterday I even smoked them back to back to get a more accurate comparison. I've found that Golden coals do not taste any worse or better than Exoticas. They both taste the same throughout the session. Neither is better than the other in terms of flavor.

My girlfriend also said the same thing, so it's not just me. This is why I think, for the hassle that's involved if you're not smoking at home, then Golden Coals is the way to go. I don't know where you smoke, if you smoke in the comfort of your own home, then it's up to you wether you want to use natural or quicklights. I on the other hand, smoke outdoors. And I need quality, but convenience as well...
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:49 PM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

the two hookah masters. thank you very much. i think i will be buying some exotica coals and a windshield soon!!
Old January 12th, 2008, 05:52 PM
CarolinaJohn
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahMaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmere868
Exotica's are good like others have said, but it's a hassle to light because they are naturals. At least for me it is, because I had to buy a portable stove in order to light them. In all honesty, this depends upon where you smoke, but if you want convenience try Golden Coals. These are quicklights and don't give of any taste whatsoever. Just make sure to wait until they're red hot and a little thin layer of ash formed before putting them on the bowl.

A lot of people don't like quicklights because the say it gives off a chemical taste throughout the session and ruins the taste of the shisha. However Golden coals (which are quicklights) don't. In the past couple of weeks, I've been testing the Golden Coals I usually use, against the Exotica natural coals. Yesterday I even smoked them back to back to get a more accurate comparison. I've found that Golden coals do not taste any worse or better than Exoticas. They both taste the same throughout the session. Neither is better than the other in terms of flavor.

My girlfriend also said the same thing, so it's not just me. This is why I think, for the hassle that's involved if you're not smoking at home, then Golden Coals is the way to go. I don't know where you smoke, if you smoke in the comfort of your own home, then it's up to you wether you want to use natural or quicklights. I on the other hand, smoke outdoors. And I need quality, but convenience as well...
Do you break up the golden coals or do you use them whole?
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:21 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Since I use the 30mm (which are small) I use them whole on my bowl. I've found that the only size that ever needs to be split up is the 40mm, but the 30mm are small enough already. Keep in mind though, I use a small tangier's phunnel, which is larger than any other type of "small" bowls on the market.
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:40 PM
CarolinaJohn
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Since I use the 30mm (which are small) I use them whole on my bowl. I've found that the only size that ever needs to be split up is the 40mm, but the 30mm are small enough already. Keep in mind though, I use a small tangier's phunnel, which is larger than any other type of "small" bowls on the market.
I use the Phunnel as well and still cannot get the heat thing down. I pack well. But still get a burnt flavor at times. I use the Golden Coals as well. How many do you set up there for the initial burn?
Old January 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

i use the same, and often start off with one, and add halves if it needs more heat.
Old January 12th, 2008, 08:00 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaJohn
Quote:
I use the Phunnel as well and still cannot get the heat thing down. I pack well. But still get a burnt flavor at times. I use the Golden Coals as well. How many do you set up there for the initial burn?
First I let them turn red hot and form a thin layer of ash. Then I put two on the bowl, directly across each other. I also rotate every 5 minutes or so. Are you leaving a little space between the foil and shisha? If you overpack it, the shisha could be getting burned because of being too close to the foil and touching directly. Also what shisha brand do you use? I use Starbuzz, and overheating really is not an issue. Some shishas are much more sensitive to overheating (ie. Romman, Al Fakher). At the beginning of my sessions I even put a windcover to add heat so it can get things started. Then once I reach the desired thickness of smoke, I take it off, and then put it back on later and so on and so on...
Old January 12th, 2008, 08:06 PM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

i use AF, and as you say, it is very sensitive, so thats why i only add 1/2 coal increments, so as not to burn it all!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook