Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Tangiers Smeel slike Jack??? WHA??

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 15th, 2009, 02:08 AM
rgallego
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to rgallego
Default Re: Tangiers Smeel slike Jack??? WHA??

I just got a 250 g lucid strawberry that smells like barbecue.. I tried to acclimate it for 24 hrs. with no success (and I know that supposedly lucid line doesn't need acclimatation.... )

Any suggestions?
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Crown Hookahs
Vendor

Send a message via AIM to Crown Hookahs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
Hopefully foibled comes on to explain it in a really intricate post... but until then, Tangiers has a water content, and when it is imbalanced, it smells off. letting it sit out helps the tobacco balance itself with the surrounding atmospheric conditions, eradicating the off flavors.
Exactly. Some flavors absolutely hate to acclimate, they fight you and make you plan ahead to smoke. Some flavors love it. Kashmir Peach has NEVER needed to acclimate for me, neither has Blue Gumball, Kashmir Cherry, Mimon, Mint, Horchata, and probably a half dozen more. Clove, Vanilla, Green Apple Candy, require constant attention.

I know exactly what the OP is talking about concerning the alcohol smell to the Green Apple Candy, it smelled like green apple vodka or something weird like that. Honestly, if you get past the smell, and just smoke it, 99% of the time you'll like it. You just have to get used to packing a very dense amount of tobacco and using minimal heat, this is why I love japanese (not made in china) coals. Low, even amounts of heat for an hour or so.

For those that are having an extremely hard time acclimating, Eric actually recommended a few methods, the first is acclimate for 4 hours, seal for 20 hours. If that doesn't work, put it in the freezer for a few hours, pull it out and acclimate it. (I never thought I'd hear Eric tell me to put tobacco in the freezer, but hey, Hell has to drop a few degrees eventually.)
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Seanzo
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayter View Post
it smells like jack daniels. Anyone else have this problem?
I fail to see the problem
but yeah let it sit for a while it should be fine after a while but personally i would just smoke it to see if it tastes like jack lol
Old December 15th, 2009, 04:23 AM
iamjack
Hookah Newbie

I have some green apple candy... tastes like sour apple pucker... good stuff
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Tangiers just seems to be so inconsistent .. and requires a special kind of attention, the kind of attention that a piece of antimatter would!

Good to know I am not the only one getting a BBQ smell or other funky smells from this particular brand. I thought I was going nuts!

I can honestly say that I want to believe .. I really do!! BUT .. sadly I have not seen the light a few people speak of. I just smell BBQish or other funky smells. I have had about 8 flavor experiences and only one was mediocre in flavor and smell. Another one was with a self proclaimed expert that spoke highly of Tangiers. The session with him was blueberry and the flavor "amount" was about 10% you had to really try to find a blueberry flavor! The other 90% was just thick smoke.

To the few tangiers fans .. don't slam me! I am just offering up my opinion. I am actually going to give a few more flavors another chance sometime in 2010 so that I can try at least a dozen flavors and styles before coming to my final conclucsion.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:35 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

I have Tangiers Watermelon and Orange Soda at home. Purchased both from Texas Hookah because I was told Tangiers was pretty good. I smoked the watermelon and it was good, but I did notice the smell everyone was talking about. Then about a week after I smoked it, I read you need to let it sit out. Did so and the smell was gone.

So far I have noticed what Sambooka said, I kind of have to search for the flavor, except for the Orange Soda, it is just there. I want to try more flavors, but after mixed reviews on some of the others, I am hesitant to try others. I don't want a soy sauce batch and it turn me off the two flavors of Tangiers that I love. But if yours smells like JD, try it and see if it tastes like it. Can't go wrong if it tastes like it.
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

yes .. orange soda is the one flavor that I tried that was not too bad. That is the 1 out of 8 that I tried that I said was mediocre. I only had enough for a bowls worth, wish I had more to experiment with. I would try putting a dab of Nakhla Cinnamon just a little below the top layer of orange soda. I bet that would be a nice touch Orange Spiced Tea! I made this with Hookah Hookah Orange and Nakhla Cinnamon and it was amazing!!

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:28 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
Tangiers just seems to be so inconsistent .. and requires a special kind of attention, the kind of attention that a piece of antimatter would!

Good to know I am not the only one getting a BBQ smell or other funky smells from this particular brand. I thought I was going nuts!

I can honestly say that I want to believe .. I really do!! BUT .. sadly I have not seen the light a few people speak of. I just smell BBQish or other funky smells. I have had about 8 flavor experiences and only one was mediocre in flavor and smell. Another one was with a self proclaimed expert that spoke highly of Tangiers. The session with him was blueberry and the flavor "amount" was about 10% you had to really try to find a blueberry flavor! The other 90% was just thick smoke.

To the few tangiers fans .. don't slam me! I am just offering up my opinion. I am actually going to give a few more flavors another chance sometime in 2010 so that I can try at least a dozen flavors and styles before coming to my final conclucsion.
Where I live, everything smokes fine but Clove that I have tried, especially the Kashmirs . Nothing has been inconsistent other than the Cloves, which have failed absolutely miserably every time. So miserably I can't even believe it. But Kashmir Peach goes for either 5+ hours, or Multiple days, depends on what i decide.
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

well i did try it without acclimating it and alas no JD flavor. However it just tasted ecxactly the same as all the rest of the flavors I have tried. Just a nasty sour taste..

Oh well, i will stick with Nakhla, and i will have to get some vanilla and cinnamon and do a mix and see if i can come up with a horchata flavor mix like i think sambooka stated.
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:57 PM
MichaelMassacre
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MichaelMassacre

You must remember Tangiers is molasses based...
Most of our other tobacco that we smoke isn't molasses based...

Nakhla does have some molasses extracted from sugarcane as an additive to the tobacco but I believe Tangiers has another extract of molasses which is the root in addition to the tobacco leaves... Since it is all a homeade product pretty much you can't expect the same results as Nakhla which is mass produced... I've had nakhla that needed to sit out along with AF Grape for example... No products are perfect.

But yeah usually within 16 hours or so my Tangiers Noir smells / tastes fine,

Lucid normally needs a good 2-3 hours (except static lucid which still smells like shiznit)
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMassacre View Post

Nakhla does have some molasses extracted from sugarcane as an additive to the tobacco but I believe Tangiers has another extract of molasses which is the root in addition to the tobacco leaves... Since it is all a homeade product pretty much you can't expect the same results as Nakhla which is mass produced... I've had nakhla that needed to sit out along with AF Grape for example... No products are perfect.

But yeah usually within 16 hours or so my Tangiers Noir smells / tastes fine,

Lucid normally needs a good 2-3 hours (except static lucid which still smells like shiznit)

Nice post. I think of tangiers as a Homebrew compared to other tobacco. Sometimes, based on factors you can't control, you get off flavors or just get a messed up batch. With Large Breweries though, they have the ability to pasteurize large amounts of beer, knocking out all infection and ability for it to develop off flavors and giving it the perfect taste you love, only without the LOVE.
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:33 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Hopefully foibled comes on to explain it in a really intricate post... but until then, Tangiers has a water content, and when it is imbalanced, it smells off. letting it sit out helps the tobacco balance itself with the surrounding atmospheric conditions, eradicating the off flavors.
I've explained it in the past so if anybody actually cares to know why, just search for my posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
I believe there's a secret RSS feed for the word "tangiers". Scoop used to be the usual Tangiers general but it seems foibled has taken his place
Secret RSS feed? I just click on quick menu -> Today's Post, and there's usually a thread about Tangiers among the ones I find interesting enough to click on. If there are questions that aren't being answered or something that I don't think is right, I chime in, mostly because from what I've seen during my short time here, Tangiers threads always have the same responses with little to no explanations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Hookahs View Post
Exactly. Some flavors absolutely hate to acclimate, they fight you and make you plan ahead to smoke. Some flavors love it. Kashmir Peach has NEVER needed to acclimate for me, neither has Blue Gumball, Kashmir Cherry, Mimon, Mint, Horchata, and probably a half dozen more. Clove, Vanilla, Green Apple Candy, require constant attention.

I know exactly what the OP is talking about concerning the alcohol smell to the Green Apple Candy, it smelled like green apple vodka or something weird like that. Honestly, if you get past the smell, and just smoke it, 99% of the time you'll like it. You just have to get used to packing a very dense amount of tobacco and using minimal heat, this is why I love japanese (not made in china) coals. Low, even amounts of heat for an hour or so.

For those that are having an extremely hard time acclimating, Eric actually recommended a few methods, the first is acclimate for 4 hours, seal for 20 hours. If that doesn't work, put it in the freezer for a few hours, pull it out and acclimate it. (I never thought I'd hear Eric tell me to put tobacco in the freezer, but hey, Hell has to drop a few degrees eventually.)
Quote:
acclimating isn't the hard part, it's when you realize the 250g you just bought WONT acclimate for no damn reason is what gets to you. blue gum ball, cool strawberry, and blackthorn would not acclimate at all. smelled like shit, tasted like shit. I like Tangiers, but that's just fuckin annoying.
It seems to me the flavors that people tend to have issues the most with are the lighter ones, like the ones you guys mentioned. It's hard to distinguish between those with actual acclimation issues and those who don't know how those flavors really do smell and are expecting something along the lines of the strongest Tangiers flavors. If they taste like shit though, then yeah something's wrong assuming it's not really just a packing or heat issue.

Freezing removes water from the tobacco. Think of it as a reset button to start the acclimation process all over.

Personally I try to stay away from "how do I acclimate" threads because I don't experience it. I notice changes in flavors from humidity changes (ie one component becoming the more dominant flavor) but never the unsmokeable stuff.
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

well this wasnt an how to acclimate thread. Atleast it wasnt meant to be. I wanted to share the fact that the tangiers smells like Jack Daniels. I thought it was very strange. LMAO
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Nice post. I think of tangiers as a Homebrew compared to other tobacco. Sometimes, based on factors you can't control, you get off flavors or just get a messed up batch. With Large Breweries though, they have the ability to pasteurize large amounts of beer, knocking out all infection and ability for it to develop off flavors and giving it the perfect taste you love, only without the LOVE.
Well said .. that actually makes a lot of sense. I agree Tangiers is a homebrew .. I understand Tangiers has quite a following because of his internet presence as a moderator on another hookah forum. In a position like that, you can't help but to love the big guy and his product. He is worshipped there That is how I got started trying out his product my first couple of times. I have nothing but nice things to say about him, he seems very helpful. I even spoke to him on the phone once.

This is another forum and Members here have freedom of opinion. If someone wants to state their opinion that it smells like BBQ or is a hassle to smoke .. then that is their opinion, let them have their opinion. Personally I would like to find a few enjoyable flavors from his brand, but I haven't been having any luck. So I just stick to the mass hookah tobacco producers because with them you just open, pack, and smoke That is why I like Nakhla so much .. they have been producing for a long time and produce on a much grander scale!

But like I said earlier .. I am going to try a few more in 2010

Cheers!

Old December 15th, 2009, 01:46 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMassacre View Post

The major differences in characteristics between Tangiers and other brands are due to its very low water content tobacco and oil-based flavorings.
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
well this wasnt an how to acclimate thread. Atleast it wasnt meant to be. I wanted to share the fact that the tangiers smells like Jack Daniels. I thought it was very strange. LMAO
yeah, this is typically how it turns out .. same people defending if you don't agree.

By the way, if you ever say you hate Nakhla I will ban you! .. j/k

Keep it light people!!!

Old December 15th, 2009, 01:52 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Quote:
My buddy got some green apple candy tangiers and it smells like jack daniels. Anyone else have this problem?

I am guessing acclimation is the key?
It may not have meant to be but it certainly didn't help that you kicked it in that direction right from the start.
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:58 PM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

i have probably around 7kg of tangiers in my arsenal right now, the flavors that i couldn't get acclimated correctly were blackthorn, red tea, kiwi, and strawberry. everything else smokes perfectly fine. i have been converted from a nakhla lover to a tangiers lover, sorry ladies
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:04 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronSA View Post
i have probably around 7kg of tangiers in my arsenal right now, the flavors that i couldn't get acclimated correctly were blackthorn, red tea, kiwi, and strawberry. everything else smokes perfectly fine. i have been converted from a nakhla lover to a tangiers lover, sorry ladies
OO blackthorn hates me.
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:06 PM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

Quote:
OO blackthorn hates me.
i left it out for two weeks and NOTHING....TWO WEEKS...hahaa
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:09 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
yeah, this is typically how it turns out .. same people defending if you don't agree.
Are you referring to me? If you don't want me trying to help people having issues with Tangiers then simply say so and I won't.
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

Quote:
By the way, if you ever say you hate Nakhla I will ban you! .. j/k

I hate Nakhla!!! Ugh yuck. Icky poo stuff. ewwwwwwww. I cant stand it! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!.

Its only like 90% of my tobacco flavors now. lol.

I dont hate tangiers, I deffinately would love to try the horchata flavor. I am jsut very scared. I think what i need to do is go down to the lounge in san diego and try it there. That way the tobacco is properly acclimated, and i can see what it is supposed to smell and taste like. LMAO.
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:09 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

I kinda see this issue of flavors not acclimating and turning people away from tangiers the same as people getting old/dry batches of nakhla.

Old December 15th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foibled View Post
Are you referring to me? If you don't want me trying to help people having issues with Tangiers then simply say so and I won't.
Helping and endlessly promoting and advertising it is another. People who enjoy tangiers need to understand something. People who have spent their money on it and had it fail over and over again regardless of acclimation, packing technique, heat management, temperature of the base water etc, etc. don't want to hear it's their fault it doesn't smoke right. Stop blaming the customer and start blaming the product. It gets old watching the same people who have no interest in Hookah Pro at all other than to promote, advertise and recommend Tangiers at every chance go on and on and when they get called on it they act innocent.
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:17 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
I kinda see this issue of flavors not acclimating and turning people away from tangiers the same as people getting old/dry batches of nakhla.
Essentially, only Nakhla is cheaper and when you come on this forum, you learn where to buy better nakhla.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook