Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Calling out Desi Murli Experienced Lungs!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 15th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Default Calling out Desi Murli Experienced Lungs!

OK ..

So for those of you that have had the opportunity to try 10+ flavors of Desi Murli .. could you do us all a favor? Recommend to those of us interested in trying some DM your top 3 or top 5 (if you have THAT many favs) in order?

Thanks!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:02 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Re: Calling out Desi Murli Experiences Lungs!

PLAIN! but that's not a flavor.. so...

Khus
Apple (all of em)
Lemon lime
Cardamom
Roohafzah
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Can you describe some of the ones that aren't self explanatory? Like Khus and Roohafzah? They peaked my interest by the way! Just from the name!

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

Thanks Sam for this thread. I really want to see some reviews of DM.
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

yeah I am ready to start trying some of their stuff out .. so I wanted to see what some of the favorites are. Along with some descriptions. I read "Pan" is good? But I have no idea what it is?

Old December 15th, 2009, 02:14 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Roohafzah is like a sweet methol floral. The floral, though, is very sweet and fruity. Like Cherry Blossom.

Khus is a bit hard to describe... It's earthy and dark, with a very heavily sweet caramelized scent. The flavor to me comes off kind of like sweet molasses and cocoa.
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM
MichaelMassacre
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MichaelMassacre

Spicy Apple = Number one... Nutmeg based apple flavor with bits of Rose & what seems to be a type of clove... Tasty & subtle.

Mint is my second favorite... A natural mint/tobacco leave taste with a slight tickle of the throat... But not too strong of a mint
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Khus is a type of grass used in Indian cooking. The batch I got had a slight minty tast to it.

Kewra is a nice floral flavor similar to rose but not sickening like rose is.

Rooh Afza is a good one too.
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Xanhonestpuckx
Brother of the Black Leaf

Send a message via AIM to Xanhonestpuckx Send a message via Yahoo to Xanhonestpuckx

Kewra
Pan
Khus
Cardamom
Plain
Sweet Apple
Sweet Melon
Plain

I have about 10 more flavors to try, just laying around, but I only have so many hours in the day :P

Old December 15th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

puck .. can you describe some of them? The ones that aren't self explanatory ..

Old December 15th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Xanhonestpuckx
Brother of the Black Leaf

Send a message via AIM to Xanhonestpuckx Send a message via Yahoo to Xanhonestpuckx

Kewra is a bit floral like the others have said...there is no one flavor...it kind of evolves as the bowl heats up and bakes. usually the first thing you notice with Desi Murli is a straight up tobacco taste. It's a good high quality taste...then you start noticing the flavors..starts off a bit of rose, then a hint of vanillia to it, a touch of caramel. None of it is overpowering, it is all subtle flavors, but very good.

Pan, I'm still trying to figure out Pan. only smoked 2 bowls of it, haven't found all the nuances yet.

Khus has a slight spearmint flavor to it, very subtle, almost an undertone. Lots of earthy flavor to it, maybe a hint of oak.

The thing that I have noticed with all of the Desi Murli flavors is they all sort of start off the same, with that initial taste of tobacco, then it slowly leads into the flavors.

The flavors that are self explanatory are good also, you can tell what they are supposed to be, no surpises, all the flavors are nice and blend with the natural tobacco flavors. none of them are overpowering...I have yet to find a DM flavor that I don't like.

The one thing you have to remember with Desi Murli is that you can't go in and hoover it, you need to be able to sit back and relax, don't plan on going anywhere for a bit after smoking it.

I have to admit, as much as I like Nakhla...I enjoy Desi Murli so much more... If you like the taste of tobacco, if you truly enjoy it, then this will be the shisha for you.

Old December 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Re: Calling out Desi Murli Experienced Lungs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
OK ..

So for those of you that have had the opportunity to try 10+ flavors of Desi Murli .. could you do us all a favor? Recommend to those of us interested in trying some DM your top 3 or top 5 (if you have THAT many favs) in order?

Thanks!
I've had about 15 or so DM flavours and while all of them are great I find myself going to just a handful and so I recommend:

1) Plain - rich, earthy tobacco flavors with a bit of sweetness and muted spice tones
2) Kewra - earthy, spice tones, something fig like and a bit of vanilla and a great tobacco flavors
3) Khuss - combination of oak/cedar, tobaccos, mints,
4) Coffee - tobaccos, molasses, coffee and something floral I can't figure out
5) Apple (all of them) - vaguely fruity, apple, molasses, tobaccos
6) Roohafzah - cardamon, mints, lots of floral tones, tobacco and something vaguely sweet
7) Pudina - mints, earthy tones, tobaccos and something floral

The thing is that the flavous are tough to describe since they are are very complicated in both the fore and background flaovurs. These sorts of moassels are for quite reflection and demand your attention in order to enjoy.
Old December 15th, 2009, 04:48 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Everyone has covered the bases as far as flavors go. One word of advice: be sure to have a pipe dedicated to DM only if you are buying a few flavors...
Old December 15th, 2009, 04:49 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Just to be sure its understood, Desi Murli is not like other hookah tobaccos, its flavors are subtle and very complex. Its almost guaranteed you will discover some new flavor every time you smoke it. It is not a tobacco to be smoked at a party really, its more of a self reflection type of smoke. Something to have while you are relaxing and can take the time to "sip" and taste the subtle flavors and enjoy the complex aroma of the smoke.
Old December 15th, 2009, 04:53 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

I'd go with what seems most appealing to you and also the traditional and uncommon flavors. I've only tried 8, but I gotta say all of them have been exceptional. Some folks wouldn't enjoy it but I'd think most any seasoned tobacco smoker would.
Old December 15th, 2009, 04:56 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPA View Post
Just to be sure its understood, Desi Murli is not like other hookah tobaccos, its flavors are subtle and very complex. Its almost guaranteed you will discover some new flavor every time you smoke it. It is not a tobacco to be smoked at a party really, its more of a self reflection type of smoke. Something to have while you are relaxing and can take the time to "sip" and taste the subtle flavors and enjoy the complex aroma of the smoke.
+1

Smoke this while reading or doing something a little more prone to reflection as BP said.
Old December 15th, 2009, 05:13 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

BP hit the nail on the head.

And thanks for making this thread!!! I haven't smoked my hookah in about a month (gasp) and I was inspired to smoke some Kewra.
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:34 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

I really need to get a paycheck so I can try out these wonderful blends. They sound just about perfect for me.

Question. Because of it's lack of preservative qualities I have heard of DM being susceptible to mold. Has anyone experienced this? I was considering making a good size order (2 kilos or so) when I finally get the means and would be very unhappy to lose some to rot.
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:39 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
I really need to get a paycheck so I can try out these wonderful blends. They sound just about perfect for me.

Question. Because of it's lack of preservative qualities I have heard of DM being susceptible to mold. Has anyone experienced this? I was considering making a good size order (2 kilos or so) when I finally get the means and would be very unhappy to lose some to rot.
I read that post too, but I recently finished off 700g of plain I had for about 1 1/2 years, no mold, it just get's dry and clumpy if stored in a plastic bag. You could just add honey to it before you store it, that might help.
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:59 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:

I did experience this, but it was because i had stored some in an area that became warm from the sun. I didnt realize it until to late. Just store it some where cool and dark should be fine. I now store all my DM in freezer containers in my mini fridge set on a cool but not cold temp.
Old December 17th, 2009, 01:25 PM
D-Szlos
Hookah Pro

PL described Khus to me as "this tastes like india", he sent me a sample of it and i concur. The apple was good too, earthy flavors, somewhat faint flavors, you have to actually pay attention to pick them all up.
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:

I have heard people complain about that as well but i've got some that has been sitting around for more then a year and it's fine. I suppose the mold issue might vary from batch to batch.
Old December 18th, 2009, 12:47 PM
omgheyitskenny
Hookah Nut

Just out of curiosity where do you guys get your DM from?
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:09 PM
AngriestPhx
Hookah Nut

hookah1.com!
Old December 18th, 2009, 03:33 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to 1lowtoy Send a message via Yahoo to 1lowtoy

Khus
Apple most of them
Lemon lime
Roohafzah
Pan

Im gonna order more as soon as i can order some coals but afraid to try the ql hookah1 sells.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook