Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Leaving for Egypt in 11 hours!!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 17th, 2009, 11:34 AM
mo0
Hookah Nut

Default Leaving for Egypt in 11 hours!!

The countdown begins but only one problem!.... Im not going Cairo
I havent had any luck contacting The Egyptian so does anyone know if there are any KM retailers around Hurghada or Sharm El Sheikh?
Also what do you guys reckon I should bring back? I dont want to bring back too much, Just one really nice stem and a few accessories.
Thanks
Old December 17th, 2009, 01:41 PM
hobohookah
Vendor

Default Re: Leaving for Egypt in 11 hours!!

hmm, I'm sure you are going to find a lot of hookahs in Sharm. When I was in Egypt, I only bought hookahs in Cairo (Khan Al Khalili), which has a great selection.

My recommendation is stay away from shops and try to find a market or bazaar. Everything is negotiable, so the basic tricks to get a good deal:
- Find a couple of pipes that you like from the same guy. Show a lot of interest in your second or third favorite and start negotiating.
- Ask about the one you actually like but stay focused on your other favorites, not the favorite.
- Negotiate prices on all of them. Compare the prices. Usually a good hookah in Egypt will be about 100-200 EGP (like 10-25 USD). Keep this in mind.
- Once you get the prices down, start fighting for extras: Nicer tongs, bigger tray, tobacco, nicer hose, etc.
- Once you have a good deal, leave for a bit (either a few hours or a day) then come back, negotiate it down a little more, and pay him in cash.

Happy hunting man! Most Egyptian hookahs are hand made, so really test them out and make sure all of the welds look good. Get them home can be pretty tough (they are big fragile items), but you'll find a way.

Also, a general note, stay away from Egyo inst-light charcoal. Its really bad.
Old December 17th, 2009, 03:24 PM
mo0
Hookah Nut

thanks alot for that!
Well im only there for a week so il have to hunt down the markets from day one!
I just hope I find some.
How would i tell the difference between a good hookah and a bad 'fake' one? Ive never been hookah hunting lolz
Thanks again
Old December 17th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Hookah_Native
Hookah Nut

Damn, now i want to go to egypt... wana take me?
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:23 PM
TheHookahCentral
Vendor

Just go to Cairo and go to them directly
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:32 PM
hobohookah
Vendor

When you find the 2-3 hookahs you like, do a quick visual inspection. Look at the seems (the hose port, the release valve, any where you see one piece of metal join another). Then pull out the stem and look down the tube. Make sure you don't see any visual rust or other effects (do your shopping in the day so you can hold the stem up to light). A lot of egyptian hookahs look like steal on the outside, but the interior is copper. My Stainless Steel Egyo hookah had a copper interior tube. This eventually rusted and snapped (ie hookah was done). I had it for 2 years, but still sucked. Some people like copper for taste reasons, personally, I dont think its worth it for longevity reasons. Copper would be a brownish color of course, I'd look for a shiny steel color.

Have the shop owner put together the hookahs and make sure he puts on all of the right grommets/gaskets to connect the stem and vase. Then plug in a hose. Put your thumb over the bowl port and pull. You should get zero air. If you are getting some air, try to figure out if its the gaskets or some part of the stem. Getting air should be a warning sign that this isnt a good hookah, especially if it looks like all of the gaskets are a good fit.

Also, remember that anything goes! So if you like a stem and you like a base, you can combine those. The shop owner will have a lot of gaskets to make this work, so dont be confined to just the setups on display, mix and match if youd like.

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but I got a glass hookah and a glass-less hookah. The glass-less hookah was all stainless and was nearly indestructable. If you plan on having a lot of crazy parties, having a hookah without glass is great, and makes hosting parties with hookah less nerve racking.

One last thing to check: The release port. It should be a little screw on metal piece with a ball in it. I remember seeing some hookahs that instead of a ball they just shoved in some paper material. Make sure the release valve works (do the test above, plug the bowl port and then blow out). If the stem you like has a crappy release port, usually you can switch out that piece too.

Budget a good few hours to shop and make sure to talk to a lot of buyers. Its fun, take your time.
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:54 PM
mo0
Hookah Nut

thanks for all the advice mate. Greatly appreciated. It looks like the whole of my week will be spent hookah shopping
I would have gone to Cairo but the cost of travel and the time it takes doesnt isnt justified if im just going to buy 1 hookah. Works out to similar price to here.
Well ive got a few hours till i set off to the airport.
Is there a specific day for markets?
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:00 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

old market in sharm had some when i went, but most were really poor quality, and whatever you do make sure you haggle even the taxis, shisha at the cafes everything you can think off haggle nothing is fixed price, and if you go to na'ma bay they is this artist over they that does really good landscapes of egypt or he will draw you whatever you like and his cheap so check that out as well.

Have fun, oh and my rule of thumb was haggle down to a quarter of orginal price for most things hookah related lool.

Like mentioned above a good hookah will cost you 150-200 EGP, windcoves no more then 20, hoses no more then 30 and nakhla should be around 20 for 500grams at most
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM
JamesLee85
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via MSN to JamesLee85

I am the man to speak to regarding shisha in sharm - i go plenty and know the where abouts. Khalil Mahmoon have a shop in Sharm.. the complex where it is, is called Fantasia. Its 5mins - around $3 in a taxi from the old town in sharm. You will find a lot of chinese pipes on the stalls in sharm.. dont even bother with them.

Tobacco - there is a shop opposite Pacha in Naama Bay which sells A large range of Al Fakher tobacco, mainly 250g tubs. You HASSLE the prices, i paid 6 English pounds for each tub which is very very cheap. They also sell Al Fakher Natural coals plus KM's. Really good shop.. but remember to barter for your prices.

When smoking shisha out and about you shouldnt really pay more than $1.50 for a session, its so so cheap.

In the Airport, duty free... i picked up Nakhla 250g Tins for around $4. Again, very cheap.

If you want to know more send me a message....
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:04 PM
hobohookah
Vendor

Getting to Cairo is really not that expensive. We took a bus from Cairo to Dahab and I think it was like $20. Not that comfortable, but bus travel in egypt is super cheap.

Understood if you want to just chill on the beach and if you only have a week or less thats probably a good idea. Id skip Hurghada though, that place is concrete city (although could be cool for diving or sailing). Dahab (north of Sharm) is a totally chill spot that has tons of cool backpackers and is way cheaper than Sharm (Sharm is built for oil sheiks and Europeans, which neglects the cheapness that makes Egypt so much fun).

If you have more time, Cairo is worth the visit. Not even for the Pyramids (although they are sweet); Khan al-Khalili, the old market, is amazing as is Fishawy's, the hookah cafe in the market.
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:21 PM
mo0
Hookah Nut

Well guys im leaving in an hour!!
Thanks for all the help.
If you guys want some tobacco feel free to drop a post and ill try checking my emails over there. (cant guarantee ill get it but ill try!!)
So far the only place i think ill visit is the shop in Sharm, thats providing i even find the place.
Anyone know any other good hookah shops/markets?
Once again thank you to everyone.
Byeeeeeeeeeee
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:08 PM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

You can get to cairo for about 20 via a 5 hour coach journey ask ir hotel about it the coaches are a/c then u can get kmsvand nak

HP Feedback - http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...hlight=abzy786
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook