Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Harshness Issues

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 19th, 2009, 01:18 AM
jakejacobson
Vendor

Default Harshness Issues

Hi guys, thought I'd try to get everyones input on this... I have traditionally stuck to my safety blanket of Starbuzz and the occasional Fumari but have recently ventured new flavors from Nakhla Mizo and Al Fahker.

The problem I've been having is that I seem to be getting the dreaded harsh throat tingle far too often than I'd like. I smoke one bowl every night and sometimes one in the afternoon as well. Going through my batch of AF Grape, AF Cafe Latte, Nakhla Mizo Guava + Watermelon, all these seem to turn out unpleasant because of the harshness. I am very conscious of my heat management rotating when needed. I use my vortex mostly but just fired up my small phunnel tonight to no prevail. With AF and Nakhla mizo, I pack really fluffy with a little space between the HD foil. I tried 2 coco's, 3 coco's, and even 4 (terrible idea) and I either get thin whispy smokes from too little and huge clouds with no flavor from too many. Windcover almost always makes the bowl too hot and increases the harshness for me.

What am I doing wrong? or maybe this is normal for the mentioned brands? I'm kind of tired with the starbuzz flavors as I've practically tried every single one. Help!
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:24 AM
texag15
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Harshness Issues

I use 3 cocos on a small phunnel. How old is your tobacco? You might try to pack your tobacco a little tighter. I generally pack my phunnel tight and as long as I manage the heat well, it doesn't get harsh. And...if it does get harsh for a second, I remove the wind cover, ash the coals, move them to a new spot on the foil, and purge.

Are you using a Tangiers phunnel?
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:27 AM
jakejacobson
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by texag15 View Post
I use 3 cocos on a small phunnel. How old is your tobacco? You might try to pack your tobacco a little tighter. I generally pack my phunnel tight and as long as I manage the heat well, it doesn't get harsh. And...if it does get harsh for a second, I remove the wind cover, ash the coals, move them to a new spot on the foil, and purge.

Are you using a Tangiers phunnel?
My tobacco doesn't expire until late 2010. My phunnel is a chinese knockoff bought at my local shop. I've tried overpacking the AF which seems to be even harsher! I think I'm going to at least isolate my methods and stick with the vortex and work from there. Maybe it's the air in Vegas. Everything is always dryer here and now that it's winter, the rules of the game may have changed for me. I don't have the luxury of humidity like the rest of the world
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:28 AM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

It might help to try an unglazed Egyptian or Lebanese bowl if you can find one. I couldn't get nakhla to smoke right without getting harsh in my mod or in my phunnel. BIGPOPPA gave me a small Lebanese that only holds about 10-15 grams of shisha, and I can't get it wrong. One coal, great clouds, great taste.

EDIT: Also, I don't reccomend the overpack. It works for some, but it ghosted my entire hookah with burnt sweet melon nakhla, and I had to clean it twice with tons of baking soda and lemon juice to get it out. Ugh. This comes from an AZ native, so our climate situation is quite similar.

Last edited by thefaded; December 19th, 2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:29 AM
lilbrummy87
Hookah Nut

With Nakhla, you don't really get to much smoke. And if you are used to the clouds of starbuzz, you are used to a lot of smoke.
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:30 AM
jakejacobson
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefaded View Post
It might help to try an unglazed Egyptian or Lebanese bowl if you can find one. I couldn't get nakhla to smoke right without getting harsh in my mod or in my phunnel. BIGPOPPA gave me a small Lebanese that only holds about 10-15 grams of shisha, and I can't get it wrong. One coal, great clouds, great taste.
I have the Egyptian which came with my KM, have never gotten it to smoke well to this day (tried about 5 different times with various shish brands)

You say one coal? center or to the side?
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:32 AM
jakejacobson
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbrummy87 View Post
With Nakhla, you don't really get to much smoke. And if you are used to the clouds of starbuzz, you are used to a lot of smoke.
I never saw it that way. You may have just rocked my world. Maybe the cloud size bar is set too high in my books because of my history with Starbuzz. Or MAYbe the reviews which are written stating large clouds from Nakhla/AF are false lol
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:34 AM
texag15
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejacobson View Post
My phunnel is a chinese knockoff bought at my local shop.
Honestly, this is probably your biggest problem. I would try 2 cocos plus a windcover. Maybe try double layering the foil. I'm not experienced with the chinese phunnel, but I've heard they give people issues. I recommend investing in a Tangiers Phunnel Bowl.
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:38 AM
texag15
Hookah Nut

Also, I would make sure you're giving yourself enough room between the foil and the tobacco...especially if it isn't Nakhla or Tangiers. So, if you sprinkling in the tobacco, give it a soft pat down so it's nice and level below the top of the bowl by 1-2mm.
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:41 AM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejacobson View Post
I have the Egyptian which came with my KM, have never gotten it to smoke well to this day (tried about 5 different times with various shish brands)

You say one coal? center or to the side?
Well the bowl is so small that it really doesn't have room for more than one coal. I usually stick it in the center, and once it starts getting small I'll put another one on and put the small piece and the new coal on opposite sides until the small one burns out.
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:42 AM
jakejacobson
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefaded View Post
Well the bowl is so small that it really doesn't have room for more than one coal. I usually stick it in the center, and once it starts getting small I'll put another one on and put the small piece and the new coal on opposite sides until the small one burns out.
I will give that a try.
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:49 AM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

Good luck!
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:03 AM
jakejacobson
Vendor

For any of those who are interested, I loaded up my egyptian as reccommended by thefaded, 2 coco's, AF Grape + Mint, and I am happy to report I am having an amazing session as we speak. NO harshness and thick/flavorful/plentiful smoke. Thanks everyone!
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:16 AM
XeRoFuN
Hookah Nut

Nice. Congrats. I use a small tangiers funnel and seriously underpack it (halfway full and semi-packed down) and I get a great session with me and my wife for at least 45 minutes. I tend to use 3 CH natural coals evenly spaced...plenty of holes on the tight HD foil. Could probably go over an hour, but we only use one set of coals. When they die off, we are pretty much sick of the flavor anyway.
Old December 20th, 2009, 08:20 PM
B4TheRush
Hookah Nut

my advice would be to make sure no shisha is above the rim when you pack ur phunnel and u can pack it a little if u need to make sure the aluminum is tight with a lot of holes and i usually use 3 coconara and AF makes pretty thick smoke so make sure u have cold water in your base. If it still gets harsh try just 2 coals opposite of eachother with a wind cover. hope this helps!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook