Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Coal Preferrance

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 24th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Dreamer1917
Hookah Nut

Default Coal Preferrance

I know coals are probablyall alike. But, they can't be all exactly the same being asmost of you all have your preferrances. SO I ask you as a newbie what are good coal buys, favorite brands and favorite qualities of that brand?
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:19 PM
albadin
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Coal Preferrance

I have been smoking hookah for about 3 years now and in my experience, Coco Nara charcoals are by far the best. It takes 5 min to light them on a electric coil burner but it is well worth it. 3 coco nara coals on a phunnel bowl with blue mist in it will usually last me 1 1/2 hours. At college I use my Mya Econo QT because it is so small and portable, not to mention it is silent with a diffuser and my Nammor hose (Hookah-shisha.com sells these, but I am going to spring for hookah johns narbish hose soon). I get HUGE clouds of smoke.

If you are impatient and don't want the hassle, get the ******* hookah natural quick-light coals from hookah john/******* hookah at **********.com they last 45 min and are all natural.
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:22 PM
albadin
Hookah Newbie

And oh yea, please stick to natural coals, whichever brand you may get. they don't hurt the environment and when you smoke them, you don't get that chemical taste.
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Dreamer1917
Hookah Nut

Very good advice thank you.
Have you tried the bamboo coals by any chance?
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:30 PM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

Always go with Natural Coal

Best Natural coal is the coconara IMO

Best Quick Light hands down is the ******* Hookah QL from **********
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

I use CH naturals. I didnt like the QL's
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:34 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer1917 View Post
I know coals are probablyall alike. But, they can't be all exactly the same being asmost of you all have your preferrances. SO I ask you as a newbie what are good coal buys, favorite brands and favorite qualities of that brand?
that is a false statement but since you are a newbie it may be a common perception, asking this question here at hp is the best thing you can do, good luck.
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:42 PM
albadin
Hookah Newbie

no prob man, no i haven't used the bamboo because after i discovered the coco nara i never went to any other coal, except for the ******* hookah coal, which makes life SO easy when you dont want to light coals on a stove top, whatever your dilemma might be.

also the ******* hookah coals get HOT so you will usually get great smoke from them, good heat management will give you good results. i dont own them but i have used them at my friends places, i will be buying a kilo of CH quick-lights for myself rather soon because of its simplicity and practicality
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Dee
Hookah Pro

I like CH natural coals the best mainly because I learned how to heat manage with them early on. Lately I've been using Starlight naturals only because I can buy them locally at a very good price. They work very well but produce slightly less heat than CH coals. This is no big deal really, it's just been a matter of changing heat management a bit. The big thing is they don't last as long CH coals. I would say I get about 10 minutes more usable time from a set of CHs than a set of Starlights.
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Dreamer1917
Hookah Nut

Thank you to all.
I will try to find some coconara at my local shop.
And Hookah John just might have another customer thanks to the good people at HookahPro.
Old December 24th, 2009, 01:10 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

I do prefer coconara's, but I'd also use CH nats as well, unlike most finger coals (exoticas for example) the coco bricks ash alot less (sometimes I don't have to ash coco's at all during a session) and they last a little longer.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Codeman

In order of preference:

1) Coconara
2) ******* Hookah (Naturals)
3) There are others?

I have some CH quicklites, but as a personal preference, I almost never use them due to my preference for naturals. I haven't experienced a QL that I didn't think imparted a flavor, although CH has been the best of what I have tried.

I find that the Coconara's hold their heat better, last longer, and it's well known that they ash a lot less. I find with CH's, that if you take a few breaths between pulls, they cool too much for my liking. After a couple boxes of each, I've settled on the Coco's
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:07 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo

I have to agree on the Coconaras. ******* Hookah natural coals are good too, but definitely need more maintenance to keep your bowl smoking well. You also need more of them.

On my vortex bowl, I use three Coconaras to get it started, then pull one off and smoke for 30-ish minutes, then put the third back on and smoke for another 20-ish. With ******* Hookah, I need four to get it started, then somewhere along the line pull off one of the coals and smoke on three, then pull off another and smoke on two then after a short while start adding the coals back on.

CH still smokes good, it just requires more attention and more coals--which is okay cause a Kilo comes with more coals in the box.
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:27 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

I like CH Nats, but right now I'm using up the rest of my Golden QL's (they're not bad, I just stocked up for college when I couldn't use Nats). I'm also using ShishaCo Nats cuz I got a couple boxes on sale and they are very similiar to John's CH coals in session length, cook time, and ashing.
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:28 PM
DarkD3vil
Hookah Nut

i love exotica squares there sooo sick.
Old December 24th, 2009, 06:44 PM
LoQuik
Hookah Pro

I used both the nats and QL's from John and couldn't tell a difference besides being able to light one with a lighter so...CH QL's!!! all the way!
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:15 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to 1lowtoy Send a message via Yahoo to 1lowtoy

coco's and CH's are by far the best. As many of you know im not a fan of exoticas but i used to be a big fan of them. Personally you cant go wrong with the coco's or the CH witch ever you prefer. I use either on a daily basis. as for exoticas untill they can get the manufacturing of there product so its consistant i would stay away. the desity changes almost from box to box the flavor changes form box to box and so on thats just my 2 cents. i would stick with any natural cocconut coal even the af's wernt bad just not on the same leval of CH or COCO's.

Last edited by 1lowtoy; December 24th, 2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old December 26th, 2009, 10:47 AM
blazingking
Hookah Nut

so far my favourites are coconaras a syrian one which i think is called abo abed amd mera ql which i get from my local shop as they all have no harshness, are easy to manage and have no taste.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook