Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Need some help IDing this KM

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
Old December 26th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Hookah Pro
Default Re: Need some help IDing this KM

My guess on the sand would be leftovers from the casting process. I don't know for sure, but I would think the chamber, some stem pieces and tray support are sand cast. It is a cheap, relatively simple method of mass producing castings.
See me on YouTube!
Old December 26th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Hookah Newbie

Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
That does not sound like sand.

He does it near the top because that's where the sound seems to be coming from.

You said that this was your experience with around 10 different KMs you have checked for this on?
i have used about 10 different KMs but no i havent checked for this on all of them, i have noticed this on some stems that i have personally cleaned myself for my friends when smoking, but nothing like in the video.

EDIT..on my tri-metal KM, when i flip the stem upside down, then right side up, like a hour glass, i hear little a little tiny pieces of metal and tiny tiny particles falling down the stem. most likely from when the workers at the factory were spot welding the three metals on the stem.

i have personally owned 2, both of which i just got actually because i like them so much lol...

i might be wrong about the whole jingle thing as other people have said that pieces of metal may fall in when welding, which makes perfect sense. and some hookahs have this and some dont...

Last edited by albadin; December 26th, 2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old December 27th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Hookah Pro

Originally Posted by albadin View Post
ALSO something not everybody knows about is the KM "jingle" as i call it. give the stem a good shake, you should hear a small particle shaking inside of the stem somewhere. every KM as far as i know also has that attribute.
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
sounds like someone forgot that there's a little metal ball inside every purge on every KM.
Originally Posted by albadin View Post
no if you remove the purge valve...

you just have to do it right, its in the part with the hose port, as mine are... youll figure it out

ive done it on at least 10 different km stems
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Jingle? Nope. Sounds like you got some slag left over from the welds and it got trapped in the stem.
Its not weld slag, it's excess solder. Weld slag generally refers to flux residue where as slag inclusions refer to foreign impurities trapped in weld metal or base metal during the welding process. These do not apply to hookahs because they are soldered and flux used in soldering serves a different purpose than in welding.

Not all KMs have the loose pieces of solder inside the stem, only those constructed by an inexperienced solderer. Newer KMs tend to have a lot more of it from the batches I've examined. It's more apparent in hollow stainless steel stems as ss is harder to wet, IOW the chromium oxides make it harder for solder to stick/flow. It's not unique to KMs either.
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Hookah Guru

i have a bunch of kms and a few jingle. doesn't really bother me though since everything eventually breaks anyway.
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Hookah Newbie

A friend of mine has the same exact one, I'm not sure what it is though. He couldn't tell me either, he got it from a local hookah bar, and they didn't know either. I smoked out of it, and it hit pretty well, but not as good as my KM Exotica. It probably had more to do with his bowl though.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook