Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

KM purge valve problem

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 29th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Jride
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jride
Default KM purge valve problem

Went to smoke out of my new KM for the first time and I noticed it wasnt hitting that great. Noticed a hissing sound coming out of my purge valve on every inhale. Opened it up and came with a small metal bb inside. I replaced it with a bigger BB I had in my other hookah. anyways, I noticed it still isnt sealing because the hole is bent somewhat. (its hard 2 get a picture because its dark in the hole and I dont have a decent camera. But I found this online to show u what the hole somewhat looks when I open it up. So my question is, is there a BB that is big enough to fit in and prevent a leak or am I just going to have to tape it up and live with it? Cus this seriously irritates me.

Old December 29th, 2009, 01:19 AM
joevincett
Hookah Pro

Default Re: KM purge valve problem

I'm confused as to what you mean because you are saying where the BB goes is bent but the picture you showed isn't where the BB goes haha
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Jride
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevincett View Post
I'm confused as to what you mean because you are saying where the BB goes is bent but the picture you showed isn't where the BB goes haha
Its a picture I found online to show you how the hole looks on my purge valve (when I unscrew it). The BB wont sit in there covering the hole because its an awkward shape, more like an oval than a circle so thats why I have the leak.
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:29 AM
joevincett
Hookah Pro

Can you bend it back with pliers?
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:31 AM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

The purge valve itself is a separate part from the small tube that goes through the heart, it's just welded to it, so while the tube can be bent (into an oval, or not a perfect circle) the valve itself should be perfectly round at the threaded end or the cap won't screw on.

I say post a pic of the top of your valve (without the cap), even if it's dark

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Jride
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGram View Post
The purge valve itself is a separate part from the small tube that goes through the heart, it's just welded to it, so while the tube can be bent (into an oval, or not a perfect circle) the valve itself should be perfectly round at the threaded end or the cap won't screw on.

I say post a pic of the top of your valve (without the cap), even if it's dark
Im talking about the hole inside. not the screw on part or anything. Its hard 2 get a pic, but here it is.

without ball

with ball (see how theres an open gap and it does not fully cover it because its more of an oval shape?
Old December 29th, 2009, 02:06 AM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Is it a solid hollow metal piece inside the valve? You could try taking a drill to it, drilling just enough at the opening to make it a perfect circle and then use a bigger bb.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
Old December 29th, 2009, 02:12 AM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

You could also plop some jb weld (or any other not too runny epoxy) at the opening, avoiding the top and outside threaded edges, which will esentially cover the hole inside entirely and then drill a hole through the epoxy, this'll give you a perfect circle and keep the bent edges where the air is leaking filled.

Old December 29th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Jride
Banned

Quote:
You could also plop some jb weld (or any other not too runny epoxy) at the opening, avoiding the top and outside threaded edges, which will esentially cover the hole inside entirely and then drill a hole through the epoxy, this'll give you a perfect circle and keep the bent edges where the air is leaking filled.
I can try something like this.. Its kinda scary (dont wanna mess up my new rig ya know)

So ur saying just fill the hole then drill or poke a perfect circle thru it?
Old December 29th, 2009, 02:23 AM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Yep. If you'll be using jb weld though, mix it and then let it sit for a few until it hardens just a bit and isn't so runny, then apply, otherwise you'll drip a bunch into the pipe and have bigger problems Fill the hole and turn the stem upside down to let it cure, if anything does drip, you can just sand the run off afterwords.

Old December 29th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Jride
Banned

Quote:
Yep. If you'll be using jb weld though, mix it and then let it sit for a few until it hardens just a bit and isn't so runny, then apply, otherwise you'll drip a bunch into the pipe and have bigger problems Fill the hole and turn the stem upside down to let it cure, if anything does drip, you can just sand the run off afterwords.
Grrrrrrrr.. Sorry man, Im just raged right now. The whole situation makes me mad.

I dont wanna risk ruining my pipe, but Its not enjoyable to smoke when all Im thinking bout is how the purge leaks and Im not getting the smoke I should be.

I might have to do the JB weld thing then.

Any other suggestions are welcome!
Old December 29th, 2009, 03:33 AM
joevincett
Hookah Pro

Make a big ball out of foil?
Old December 29th, 2009, 03:48 AM
MechEng
Hookah Newbie

Contact the vendor? Imperfect welds is normal but not sealing properly because of a messed up purge usually isn't mentioned in the usual "KM's are handmade and the welds are not perfect" disclosure...Just a thought...I have never had to order a hookah so I'm not sure how that all works
Old December 29th, 2009, 07:08 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

There is a few options open to you.

I would suggest contacting foibled via Pm he does Hookah repairs and would be the best to give you advice on this problem.

Also contact the supplier about the problem maybe they can do a stem replacement for you.

Next option is to desolder the purge and have it cut on a lathe to have the taper repaired. Please note there is a specific taper in the purge valve to accommodate the ball and ensure a good seal. So plonking in some JB weld is not an option.

(wish that JB Weld and duct-tape would cease to exist damn cannot do that then the world of thousands of people will fall apart)

Next option is sealing up the purge and not using it (Bad idea)

So the best two options will be the first two contact foibled and the supplier. Unless you have a spare purge from a old hookah that you can use to replace this one with.
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Jride
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glostersa View Post
There is a few options open to you.

I would suggest contacting foibled via Pm he does Hookah repairs and would be the best to give you advice on this problem.

Also contact the supplier about the problem maybe they can do a stem replacement for you.

Next option is to desolder the purge and have it cut on a lathe to have the taper repaired. Please note there is a specific taper in the purge valve to accommodate the ball and ensure a good seal. So plonking in some JB weld is not an option.

(wish that JB Weld and duct-tape would cease to exist damn cannot do that then the world of thousands of people will fall apart)

Next option is sealing up the purge and not using it (Bad idea)

So the best two options will be the first two contact foibled and the supplier. Unless you have a spare purge from a old hookah that you can use to replace this one with.
I bought it from a hookah bar, I doubt they will let me replace it but Im cool with the manager so I will talk to him about it and see what I can do.

I will contact foibled also
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

i would go at it with pliers, a nailset or a punch firt and see it i couldn't just round out the inside with a little pressure, if not that then the jb weld isn't a bad plan. U can always just make a little flap lid, same effect as a bb, the suction will keep it down and seal the chamber...

"From zero to hookah, in nothing flat."
Old December 29th, 2009, 02:34 PM
bulldog
Vendor

I found this problem on one of my best hookahs... was a real dissapointment.... but i took a fine grade sandpaper slowly but surely cleaned the inside where the BB sits replace it with a slightly larger BB and the sucker is so air tight ... tighter than a ducks ass... and thats water tight man try it ...
Old December 31st, 2009, 02:21 PM
Jride
Banned

I fixed the problem using a THUMBTAC!

I just cut the needle off and stuck it in and it fits the hole perfectly and I can still blow out and it will re-seal.
Old December 31st, 2009, 03:19 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jride View Post

I just cut the needle off and stuck it in and it fits the hole perfectly and I can still blow out and it will re-seal.
That's pretty creative.
Old December 31st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Ossus
Hookah Newbie

Quote:

Dude, thats awesome. I might try that in light of a bb.
Old December 31st, 2009, 11:22 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i would go get the finest dermel grinding stone you can get that is either one of the pointed bullet shapes or the cylinder shape. you can usually get one of the little rectangular stones that come with the dermel stuff that you go "wtf is this". it is used to shape the grinding stones. shape the stone (by chucking it up and spinning it with the dremel) to shape into the shape of the bb, grind out the bb's seat and that should do it. this is the best solution. not to bash anyone elses suggestions but the other ones are a bit to ghetto even for my tastes and can ruin stuff.

-matt
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Hookah-burdar
Hookah Nut

Sorry to say that I just got a new TEMSAH yesterday, and as I was cleaning it before the first use, I noticed that the purge valve opening was not clean inside: It seemed badly engineered, and had some redundant metal obstructing part of the opening. As I tried the airtightness with water on the base and by closing the upper end of the main tube with my hand, I confirmed that there was a bad leak at the purge valve. The ball does'nt sit well. I tried sanding the opening with a file. The draught improved a little bit, but the leak was still there, since the opening was not perfectly even nor perfectly round. Following your very useful advices, I will next try with a bigger BB (6mm) ball or else resort to grinding carefully with a DREMEL. Let's hope I'll fix the problem. I would'nt like to convert my nice new Egyptian TEMSAH in a traditionnal waterpipe without purge valve... I already have 5 such pipes, Turkish or Tunisian ones...

Last edited by Hookah-burdar; June 13th, 2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old June 8th, 2010, 09:15 AM
dabboy
Hookah Nut

You need to try to pry the hole round again, but honestly dude you aren't gonna get it perfect, if you just got it I would return it and explain the problem.
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:51 AM
fatdom22
Hookah Nut

i believe places have return policies for a reason! if you noticed it before smoking you should have called the vendor back especially after spending upwards of 100 dollars on something. what ever happened to checking for leaks before smoking just incase there was a leak, this was you can return it!
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Hookah-burdar
Hookah Nut

Well I am happy to say that I finally solved the problem with my badly engineered purge valve by using a bigger 8 mm steel ball, bought at a Tattoo shop and used for "piercing" rings. My pipe now works perfectly and purges even better than my KM Pharaonie. I was afraid of trying to solve the problem with a Dremel, even having bought a Workstation... So I am a happy smoker now, and the TEMSAH is the best hookah of the 14 I have. Heavy, solid, nice to look at with its beautiful clear base with a soft golden hue, and very effective...
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook