Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Sahara Smoke Ruined my Christmas!!!

Hookah Discussion

Closed Thread Share

Old December 31st, 2009, 04:27 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Default Re: Sahara Smoke Ruined my Christmas!!!

I had a really bad streak of orders with SSC and I am never going back. Thier customer service was polite, but still really really obstructionist when it came to working on a resolution where a refund was involved. There are other great vendors that are alot more active in this community that I think are more deserving of our money.
Old December 31st, 2009, 05:01 PM
blacklit
Hookah Newbie

sorry, OP. i hear you on this one. i think what's important is how you feel as the customer. i think many are caught up giving [unsolicited] personal opinions that they've lost sight of the simple fact that you were simply not happy with the transaction.

a vendor can easily send you a return label; they can afford it. this one chose not to in spite of your dissatisfaction, which i hope you communicated. if you want them to make it right, it's probably a good idea to tell them exactly how. a good vendor will be willing to work with you.. pictures of the next base, offer free [useful] items, credit on your next order, etc.

i notice this forum gives vendors a lot of slack and [imho] much undue praise, for example, shipping/packaging/packaging materials (services we paid for), bonus items (usually junk, although samplers are nice), coupon codes for inflated prices to begin with, personality(?), etc.. funny. it's unfortunate that the majority has been accustomed to forgive and accept such things (do we have a choice : ) although once in a while, i'd say the praise is quite well-deserved.
Old December 31st, 2009, 11:35 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

to lazy to read every post.

the glass doesnt look painted to me (granted im not holding it in my hands though but the color looks like it was worked hot) but it looks like they used a white base then strung some blue color up it and then heated the whole thing and drug the tweezers up it to five you the wavy look. i will give you a run down of how this is made. heat blow pipe, gather clear glass and start bubble, cool a bit then gather white glass, cool then maybe gather more clear then string blue glass on to piece. heat the crap out of it and drag tweezers up piece to give color that look. then they blow it into a rough shape, heat, go into a turn mould (they spin and blow to give you no mould lines). then they transfer the piece to work the neck, probably add more glass to build up the neck thickness and shape it up. knock it off, cool for 24 hours, grind the bottom OR if they didnt transfer the piece they cut and grind the neck to be flat. glass working is not an easy thing, believe me.

i agree it doesnt look as good as the picture but i will also say there is no way you are going to get cheap production glass and like it. 20-30 bucks for a piece of glass will not give you good quality, period, end of story. that piece of glass you got looks a hell of a lot better than the egyptian "quality" glass i got with my km, a hell of a lot better, how ever i will admit it is hard for me to see common imperfections by a photograph.

if you want a nice piece of glass i might be able to help you out but you probably will not like the cost.

edit- i will say in response to the vendors eating the costs of returns, glass is not cheap to ship, most vendors dont even ship glass correctly (bubble wrap, 2 inches of packing foam all around, box, 2 inches of foam 2nd box). even with their half assed shipping methods its not cheap. go price packing materials at places like uline, its a huge huge huge cost to shippers (for me to ship glass pieces it honestly costs me more for packing materials than it does the glass i used to make the piece)

-matt

Last edited by mattathayde; December 31st, 2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old January 1st, 2010, 03:27 AM
usmc70_14
Hookah Newbie

im sorry but i am going to have to agree and respect the post of the op. he is upset on how his item looks different then what was paid for.

the part that pisses me off is how most of you people bow down and kiss the arses of these vendors. you have to remember these vendors are only making a living based on how there product that they are selling is presented and how the pricing meets our expectations. if the same product is available at another store at a cheaper price then im going to shop at the other store. similar to how ebay does things with there review.

in this case if the op is upset at sahara smoke for whatever reason then thats his opinion. thats one less customer that sahara smoke which at the same time another vendor will win his business in the future.

i for one am also upset with sahara smoke as i bought a hookah at a local retailer and had to do an exchange as the bb in the purge was getting stuck. well it was replaced with a new version and now the bb in the new is stuck again. i tried to get it replaced and they told me i can only have one replacement. thats a crock of shet if you ask me. not to hijack the thread but thats my 2 cents and hopefully people from sahara smoke are reading this and they better there service. as that is the overall goal of all of us on the message boards.

(im at working writing this, so this sucks)
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:37 PM
chrisicool
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc70_14 View Post
im sorry but i am going to have to agree and respect the post of the op. he is upset on how his item looks different then what was paid for.

the part that pisses me off is how most of you people bow down and kiss the arses of these vendors. you have to remember these vendors are only making a living based on how there product that they are selling is presented and how the pricing meets our expectations. if the same product is available at another store at a cheaper price then im going to shop at the other store. similar to how ebay does things with there review.

in this case if the op is upset at sahara smoke for whatever reason then thats his opinion. thats one less customer that sahara smoke which at the same time another vendor will win his business in the future.

i for one am also upset with sahara smoke as i bought a hookah at a local retailer and had to do an exchange as the bb in the purge was getting stuck. well it was replaced with a new version and now the bb in the new is stuck again. i tried to get it replaced and they told me i can only have one replacement. thats a crock of shet if you ask me. not to hijack the thread but thats my 2 cents and hopefully people from sahara smoke are reading this and they better there service. as that is the overall goal of all of us on the message boards.

(im at working writing this, so this sucks)

Purge valves get stuck constantly, that's the nature of the hookah. You can get a top of the line hookah, spend upwards near 400 - $500 and the purge valve will still have a tendency of sticking. I'm actually really suprised at a lot of what people have to say on this post. Perhaps people should go back through the forums and read a lot of solutions for hookah problems, vendor issues, and just over-all hookah advice. Because it really seems that most of what is discussed on this forum falls on blind eyes. When I first joined this forum I had a million questions, and a million problems about how my hookah was performing, including the purge valve getting stuck. Now I smoke with ease, and have wonderful sessions all the time because of this community.
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:31 PM
Shushyne4np2ne
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Shushyne4np2ne Send a message via Yahoo to Shushyne4np2ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitul89 View Post
Like others said, now its pretty standard with company in which either you pay for the shipping or they dont refund you back the shipping charges. It is not upto SSC or any other company to just ignore shipping because its not in their hands. Now that I look at the picture, yea the OP is right, however, if SSC is willing to cooperate, you should as well. There is no need to get pissed off about it. These are hand-made products and you should expect such things to occur. Thats the way I see it. Honestly, I dont think it looks that bad at all, in fact I'd keep it and save the hassle of shipping and paying for it.

I wasn't disagreeing with the whole deal about him having to pay shipping. I think that they are just in doing this. It's perfectly natural. They are hand made products, yes, but compare this to the picture and it's just not very good. I understand that variation is natural in hand made products, but that is an example of not living up to the expectations the picture presents.

Old January 1st, 2010, 07:09 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shushyne4np2ne View Post
I wasn't disagreeing with the whole deal about him having to pay shipping. I think that they are just in doing this. It's perfectly natural. They are hand made products, yes, but compare this to the picture and it's just not very good. I understand that variation is natural in hand made products, but that is an example of not living up to the expectations the picture presents.
if you saw the process of how that colored glass is applied you would probably change your mind honestly.

while i havent gotten to see any of their glass up close and hold it it seems like it is better over all than the pure crap that is pawned off on us from egypt

-matt
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:21 PM
phatpride1
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
if you saw the process of how that colored glass is applied you would probably change your mind honestly.

while i havent gotten to see any of their glass up close and hold it it seems like it is better over all than the pure crap that is pawned off on us from egypt

-matt
I rather have the My glass comes from Egypt then getting my over paid piece of shit that was made in china from SSC.
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:00 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatpride1 View Post
I rather have the My glass comes from Egypt then getting my over paid piece of shit that was made in china from SSC.
if you are unhappy with the ssc glass you would be more pissed about the egyptian glass. honestly unless you are paying in the 3 digit price range your not getting quality glass, pure and simple. its just impossible to produce high quality glass for the prices we are paying even with using just clear glass, moulds, and figuring out a way to not have to cold work the piece at all, except maybe if its machine made, but then you dont get a lot of color work done like the SSC vases have.

egyptian glass is a horrible composition, inconsistent composition, not annealed properly, uneven, seedy (air bubbles through out the glass from improper melting of the glass), cordy (uneven composition leading to lines of thicker glass that also make the piece harder to blow out evenly).

honestly that piece to have a glass blower in the states do one for you just one off free hand like that your looking in the 2-600 buck range easy depending on their costs and how good they are. even in a US production shop you would be looking over 100 bucks easy i would guestimate.

honestly china probably has better glass coming out of it than egypt. digression: a lot of glass s murano old in as "italian" glass is made in china then shipped to murano to be sold.

again the quality of the glass doesnt look bad to me, yes i agree the stock pic of the vase looks better but what you got looks well with in standard deviation of production work

-matt
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:21 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

A few points.

With respect to the original post i'd say that I don't see what the problem is in that the vase he got looks pretty good in my opinion and fairly close to what was pictured originally. Although it's not identical it's fairly close and they did say that variations are to be expected. Also, the return policy was stated up front so it seems that it's up to the buyer to notice such things before buying. In anycase, I can't see something like a vase not being exactly what I wanted ruining Christmas.

As to Egyptian glass, the quality varies a lot. On my KMs they great quality and I am delighted. I do know that like any other mass produced item Egyptian glass can be lousy but on the whole Egyptian glass is better then PRC glass by quite a fair margin.

Personally I have found that the best glass for narghiles comes from Syria. Syrian glass seems to have better consistency in terms of thickness, less air pockets, better tempering and all around quality.
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:59 PM
Burakiosaurus
Hookah Nut

The base you ordered and the base you got are both ugly in my opinion, but you liked it enough to order it, so no comment there.

However, they have stated that designs may vary, and the base you got was a variation which wasn't a million miles off the base pictured on the site.

I have never dealt with sahara smoke (yet) but this minor indiscretion won't dissuade me. I do think you could have used more tact, and if your Christmas was ruined by a base with a few less blue lines (which can still be used to smoke from) then you need to have a glass of cement and harden up.
Old January 1st, 2010, 10:28 PM
doudeman
Hookah Newbie

I just found this funny. This ad was at the top.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
steveng13
Hookah Newbie

I'm sure your gf felt great when you told her it was so terrible she needed to take it home.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:12 PM
chain
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudeman View Post
I just found this funny. This ad was at the top.

i loled
Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:42 PM
phatpride1
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveng13 View Post
I'm sure your gf felt great when you told her it was so terrible she needed to take it home.
She was more pissed then i was, shes a art major. And said they dropped the ball on this one.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:11 PM
BTBAMordecai
Hookah Pro

that sucks. they usually look like flawless vases
Old January 2nd, 2010, 11:52 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBAMordecai View Post
that sucks. they usually look like flawless vases
see the base does look flawless in the pics other than the aesthetic opinions of the color application

-matt
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Sahara Smoke Company
**~ Supporting Vendor ~**

Send a message via Skype™ to Sahara Smoke Company

Hello,

The sub zero vase is not actually hand painted, its hand blown. every vase is a bit different. the one you got was nothing like the picture and didnt have enough blue glass in the vcorrect design., we DO have vases exactly like the one pictured. please Pm me your order ID number and we'll get this sorted for you. i apologize for the mishap and yiour ruined christmas. we will send you the correct vase and a call tag to receive the other vase back from you.
thank you for bringing this issue up, I will talk to the sales reps so they are well informed about the products

have a great day
best
Jonathan
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:23 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

If I may just throw in my 2 cents here:

I think you have a valid claim with the base. Granted, your base does resemble the pictured one and it does look good, IMO, but you do have a valid claim. The vase should be like the one in the picture. Not exactly, but at least somewhat like it in terms of blue/white relationship.

I've never dealt with SSC but I don't think that this is worth writing them off. They order those bases just like we do and you can't expect them to check every single base and make sure it looks like the one in the picture.

It may have been a mistake on the company that delivered to SSC. Maybe the original maker of the base didn't use as much blue on accident... maybe they ran out of blue. You never know...
If that's the case, I think that SSC should announce that on here just to make sure that it wasn't actually their fault.

I also think that it wouldn't hurt for them to throw in a bowl or some tobacco when they ship your new vase.
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:40 PM
yeags777
Hookah Pro

I'd have to agree... can't make every hand made vase the same and you should've appreciated it more because it was a gift from you g/f. Vase looks fine imho.

If you're that miffed about it, maybe you could've contacted them to trade it out with one that had more of what you were looking for.
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:53 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSebsch View Post
It may have been a mistake on the company that delivered to SSC. Maybe the original maker of the base didn't use as much blue on accident... maybe they ran out of blue. You never know...
If that's the case, I think that SSC should announce that on here just to make sure that it wasn't actually their fault.
the way this color is applied is that a person assisting the gaffer (main person working the glass) bring a "bit" of color, either picked up and heated up or more than likely since it is production work just a bit of color that is gathered and brought over. the gaffer grabs the punty (metal rod used to gather glass) with a tool and touches the colored glass to one end of their piece. they then turn the piece and move the color down to spiral down.

to get an idea of how difficult this is take a paper towel tube and a marker, roll in across the table and try to make a spiral down it, not to bad, but now get 10 tubes spiral one, put it so you cant see it, do it again and again and again and see how exact you got it. now think if you have to do it very fast before the marker runs out, you cant hold the marker like normal, and you have to turn the tube from 18 inches back, o and you are 12 inches away for 1800* f and you hand is 6 inches away.

yes i agree the "handmade" excuse pisses the hell out of me but in production work you will have variation, and if you are paying so little then you cannot expect perfect work (that being said i dont think there is an excuse for the quality of the glass itself but color techniques will vary)

-matt
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:38 AM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I'm locking this thread since Jonathan from SSC has come on here to clear the air and he is doing the right thing by taking care of phatpride. If phatpride wants to update us on his experience, he can PM a mod and we will post it up for him. Hopefully Phatpride will get this resolved to his satisfaction. Good luck man and let us know the outcome

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"

Last edited by KoRnKitten; January 5th, 2010 at 02:40 AM.
Closed Thread Share
Share with your friends on facebook