Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Need help fixing my hookha

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 1st, 2010, 06:06 AM
VSWR
Hookah Newbie

Default Need help fixing my hookha

I have and 1 year old Egyptian hookah had no problem with it until i noticed that one of the welds on the stem is hm how should i put it? i guess it got some water and rusted. Don't have camera so i took some photos with a mobile phone.

If you look carefully i can see the inner stem. So the question is how too fix this ?

And what is the best way to repair leaks in the stem manly on the welds?
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:26 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Default Re: Need help fixing my hookha

First remove the rust by sanding with a fine emery paper then get a blowtorch and heat the weld apply some soldering flux and once the flux runs freely add some solid plumbers solder to the joint it should flow into the joint. If the gap is wide take some thin stranded copper wire and wrap round the joint and in the joint to act as filler then flux and solder this should effectively reseal the joint and stop any further water intrusion.
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:45 AM
VSWR
Hookah Newbie

Thx for the detailed instructions. Now i only need to get a blowtorch, some flux
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:10 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by glostersa View Post
First remove the rust by sanding with a fine emery paper then get a blowtorch and heat the weld apply some soldering flux and once the flux runs freely add some solid plumbers solder to the joint it should flow into the joint. If the gap is wide take some thin stranded copper wire and wrap round the joint and in the joint to act as filler then flux and solder this should effectively reseal the joint and stop any further water intrusion.
thank god there is finally a good answer, i was expecting the usual, jb weld, etc etc

i suggest to the OP that you do some test solders on some scrap metal before you do this if you have never soldered before. now in this kind of situation though how ever much i hate having to say it jbweld would work fine probably ~looks around to make sure fellow students/profs didnt hear me~

now few warnings, make sure to remove all the water out of the section before you solder it or at least make sure it all evaporates before you flow your solder. also heating a closed piece that has a solder joint already will make it blow apart and hurt your self very very bad. my metalsmithing prof did this when she was in school and got stunned and couldnt hear for a while. and it was just a small sphere in the 1/2-1 inch size range

-matt
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:22 AM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Are you talking about the hose port? Just looks like a copper weld to me.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old January 1st, 2010, 01:04 PM
VSWR
Hookah Newbie

No the hose port is not good but it has no leaks. Also any european knows were too get jb or something similar to it here in the europen union because i didn't see any jb weld were i live(in Lithuania)
Old January 1st, 2010, 01:23 PM
VSWR
Hookah Newbie

Ok while the shops aren't open i decided to make a quick fix on it.

First of all i took some Teflon tape and twisted one in a sting other lefted as it is :

Then i wrapped the teflon string on the stem :

After that just wrap the original shaped teflon tape over it to make a nicer finish.

It doesn't look good but it will have too hold until i mend it properly. (sorry about the photo quality)
Old January 1st, 2010, 02:07 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

idk about lithuania but in the states it is found in the hardware stores near the glues and epoxies. if you cant find jb weld the next step i would go to is probably an epoxy that dries clear or silicone caulk (any of those options you will want to let cure fully before usage)

-matt
Old January 1st, 2010, 02:11 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

My bad, didn't understand the original post.

JB weld would be fine for that application, I've actually mended some stem joints myself, works great and cosmetically it's clean.

If you can't find jb weld, use any 2 part epoxy for metal that doesn't react once fully cured.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old January 1st, 2010, 03:14 PM
VSWR
Hookah Newbie

I looked in a e-shop and found some 2 part epoxy so tomorrow i will look in a near by hardware store. And it is really safe ? I mean when it cures it doesn't release any harmful fumes ?
Old January 1st, 2010, 03:32 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSWR View Post
I looked in a e-shop and found some 2 part epoxy so tomorrow i will look in a near by hardware store. And it is really safe ? I mean when it cures it doesn't release any harmful fumes ?
the place its at on your rig is probably not an issue to worry about, it probably doesn't even have much if any air flow there (it shouldnt at least, if i see the crack right). i would suggest trying to fine something that is listed as food safe but it probably isnt 100% required. iirc jb weld is totally safe, silicone should be safe one cured and washed, epoxy probably will be but i would check the package

-matt
Old January 1st, 2010, 03:41 PM
bulldog
Vendor

if you go for the blow torch method be very careful how you heat... if you havent tried welding before you,ll end up ruining the hookah eg: overheating can loosen welds elsewhere.. i know i,ve tried it... as i can see the actual pipe is not damaged... so i,d go for a 2 part epoxy for metal and it is available in dark grey weld color too.. so it should look like a natural solder weld when cured... good luck dude
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook