Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Tangiers Woes

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 1st, 2010, 07:24 PM
-jordan-

Unhappy Tangiers Woes

So I ordered 3 250g tubs of tangiers, orange soda, peach iced tea, and licorice.. So the iced tea and orange soda smelled pretty good straight out of the bag.. And even better after about thirty hours of acclimation.. BUT, the licorice hasn't changed scent since I first opened it.. Smells like barbeque sauce ... So, to acclimate the shisha, I spread the whole tub out on a sheet of foil until they smell like how they should taste... Am I doing something wrong? Or is there another method I could try to get the licorice acclimated?
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:34 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to 1lowtoy Send a message via Yahoo to 1lowtoy
Default Re: Tangiers Woes

nope sounds correct welcome to the world of tangiers!
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:37 PM
-jordan-

Dang... Sounds like a hit or miss with some flavors then
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:00 PM
chain
Hookah Pro

indeed it is hit or miss i got some watermelon that's bbq and always will be no matter what i do to it.
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:06 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

no matter what any one says i think tangiers either comes fine/just a touch of acclimation needed or it comes shitty and cant be saved. ive had decent luck with it and think most of them usually come ok but i have had a couple that never got right.

i also think the phunnel is not the best thing for smoking it and found the vortex is much better with a gap under the foil and not packing it really hard but not fluffing it out of the box at all. it smokes better for me that way and i use like 1/3 of the tobacco

some of the flavors also i think dont over come the molasses sent the tobacco has and it seems like it is bad
-matt
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:35 AM
-jordan-

Well that's good news.. Cause I've been smoking out of my vortex bowl... Yeah the licorice seems bad to me.. It hasn't changed scents for days, and I've been stirring it around... Etc... I suppose whenever I'm in the mood for some BBQ shisha, it'll be there... I don't have the heart to throw out 250 grams of it...
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:06 AM
ravio
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jordan- View Post
Well that's good news.. Cause I've been smoking out of my vortex bowl... Yeah the licorice seems bad to me.. It hasn't changed scents for days, and I've been stirring it around... Etc... I suppose whenever I'm in the mood for some BBQ shisha, it'll be there... I don't have the heart to throw out 250 grams of it...
that sucks..thats the only thing keeping me from trying tangiers as of now :\
and bbq flavored shisha sounds so wrong loll
Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:13 AM
ElektrikBlack

Have you tried smoking it? I've had the same issue with the regular watermelon and got tired of waiting so I smoked it. It tasted alright, but I prefer the lucid version because it tastes the same without the hassle.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:49 AM
Th3DonDada
Hookah Nut

Never knew it was a hit or miss thing with Tangiers. That would explain a lot why some of my tobacco ended up crappy while most were great.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:27 PM
-jordan-

I haven't tried it yet... I'm a little leery of it because of the scent... I'll have to give it a whirl.. I probably should have bought the lucid version... I thought it'd be fun to get some shisha that was higher maintenance and required preparation.. I really should have thought that one through haha.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:06 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jordan- View Post
I haven't tried it yet... I'm a little leery of it because of the scent... I'll have to give it a whirl.. I probably should have bought the lucid version... I thought it'd be fun to get some shisha that was higher maintenance and required preparation.. I really should have thought that one through haha.
there is always the temptation but especially at first you will get discouraged. i honestly found if it doesnt come smelling much like the flavor it is supposed to be then it will have a hard time getting good.

i wish all the stuff was in the lucid line but i remember for what ever reason they are having issues, supposedly, getting the flavors right in lucid

-matt
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:18 PM
guesswhoy0
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to guesswhoy0

i think it really depends on the climate around your area. if you live in a high humidity area, it will be a lot harder for you to get the flavor its suppose to be. although i will agree with the assessment stated earlier, lucid is the way to go if you dont want to deal with the hastle of acclimation.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:34 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

I agree, try the Lucid. You just gotta pack it up and its ready to smoke. I got some Noir by accident, and it took a day or so to acclimate.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:42 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswhoy0 View Post
i think it really depends on the climate around your area. if you live in a high humidity area, it will be a lot harder for you to get the flavor its suppose to be. although i will agree with the assessment stated earlier, lucid is the way to go if you dont want to deal with the hastle of acclimation.
see i thought that as well but it doesnt work in practice, i am in va and during the warmer months my humidity inside is about 55%, i acclimated some stuff for like 4 days with no luck, still just right, yet i get other flavors and they are good to go out of the package and dont really ever need any other acclimation.

if there really was the humidity shock in the tobacco it should happen in all the tobacco not just a few. ive even had fewer problems getting fresher tangiers cause ive been getting it through john when i order it so if anything there should be more humidity shock

-matt
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:57 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo

I'm in Maryland and all of my Tangiers has smelled great right out of the bag. Acclimating I suppose helped, but has never seemed crucial. What an incredibly temperamental shisha. It's a shame that not everyone can enjoy it. Tangiers is kind of my 'special-occasion' shisha cause I love it so much.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

QUE the elephant! Hey dunkel! Where you at?
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:44 PM
opticalshadow
Banned

from my exp with tang the flavors are either all or nothing, there is no flavor i like a little i either can smoke it or i cant. but i wouldnt judge the flavor until you smoke it, plenty of shishas can taste much differ then their scent, for better or worse.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:08 PM
h0lic
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to h0lic Send a message via Yahoo to h0lic

I wouldn't hold too much stock in acclimating it until it smells like it's supposed to taste according to flavor. Tangiers is pretty much an acquired taste, so if one of the flavors isn't agreeing with you try mixing it with another brand of tobacco to mild it out.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:44 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0lic View Post
I wouldn't hold too much stock in acclimating it until it smells like it's supposed to taste according to flavor. Tangiers is pretty much an acquired taste, so if one of the flavors isn't agreeing with you try mixing it with another brand of tobacco to mild it out.
i will agree with this too, the undertones of tangiers are very very different than other tobaccos

-matt
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:46 AM
-jordan-

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0lic View Post
Yeah good call. I've heard that it's got a unique flavor compared to other shishas.. And I figured it would be pleasant change cause I'm tired of starbuzz and Al Fakher.. But the smell of the licorice is horrible.. I've just got to get the courage to load a bowl and see if the taste differs from the smell... I'll try it tomorrow..
Old January 4th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

What you hear .. is a lot of HYPE!
(Definition of Hype)

Members here are FINALLY starting to speak their minds, instead of just repeating all of the excuses they have "heard".

I feel sorry for you that you got stuck with some BBQ smelling tobacco. I wish more Members like you would speak your mind about the problem with BBQ smelling tobacco from different vendors. So we can all be a little more educated on what is worth buying and what is not. It is just our opinions .. but our opinions count.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:55 AM
boxerbabe84
Hookah Nut

I bought some Lucid orange soda and blue gumball just last week. The orange soda was pretty good IMO. It smelled good right out of the package. However, the blue gumball smelled horrible. I let it sit out for over 12 hours!!! Again, this was LUCID! I really think there are too many excuses as to why this tobacco does not smell good when it is opened. I see no need to let something "acclimate" for a week let alone over 12 hours. I just really feel that there is a such thing as a "BAD batch" from tangiers. If all other brands can have a bad batch once in a while, then why is tangiers above everything else I do not think there should be an excuse other than I just got a shit batch. No amount of time will make me want to smoke this. It just sucks to spend $16 and not be able to smoke the shisha. But it is my fault for continuing to buy it. I keep saying, "let me give it just one more shot." Well not again. I can not afford to waste money on shisha that is inconsistant. I will stick with my regular smokes such as Nakhla!

Sorry for the rant.
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Ketrel
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Ketrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerbabe84 View Post
I bought some Lucid orange soda and blue gumball just last week. The orange soda was pretty good IMO. It smelled good right out of the package. However, the blue gumball smelled horrible. I let it sit out for over 12 hours!!! Again, this was LUCID! I really think there are too many excuses as to why this tobacco does not smell good when it is opened. I see no need to let something "acclimate" for a week let alone over 12 hours. I just really feel that there is a such thing as a "BAD batch" from tangiers. If all other brands can have a bad batch once in a while, then why is tangiers above everything else I do not think there should be an excuse other than I just got a shit batch. No amount of time will make me want to smoke this. It just sucks to spend $16 and not be able to smoke the shisha. But it is my fault for continuing to buy it. I keep saying, "let me give it just one more shot." Well not again. I can not afford to waste money on shisha that is inconsistant. I will stick with my regular smokes such as Nakhla!

Sorry for the rant.
Sure Tangires may have a bad batch but it seems to be happening way more then it should.
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketrel View Post
Sure Tangires may have a bad batch but it seems to be happening way more then it should.
QFT, all the tobacco i have had from tangiers has been terrible. SO never again shall i stray from Nakhla. Well i might try more AF if it doesn do that throat tickle thing anymore. UGH. I hate that.
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:21 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayter View Post
QFT, all the tobacco i have had from tangiers has been terrible. SO never again shall i stray from Nakhla. Well i might try more AF if it doesn do that throat tickle thing anymore. UGH. I hate that.
and your in an area that is supposed to be "good" for tangiers
-matt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook