Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Quick Tangiers help

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:38 AM
IceMan1300
Hookah Newbie

Default Quick Tangiers help

Hey guys, just bought some tangiers shisha for the first time. I was trying to smoke the Orange soda earlier, which can I say is fantastic haha. Few issues, I was having the throat tickle, is this normal or did I do something wrong? Secondly, I'm using 2 CH QL's on there, tried with both a windcover and without, and I wasn't havin the greatest clouds. Though. I'm thinking the throat tickle might have had something to do with it, couldn't inhale that great. How many coals do you guys usually use? I'm sing a small phunnel bowl, and tried packing it the way Eric explains in the video. I heard it takes a few more coals to get it going, so I tried using 3 QL's with the windcover on in the first few minutes, to no avail. Any hints with the heat management would be great, have 3 tubs of Tangiers to smoke, and I hope to make it better than the last . Thank you
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:53 AM
Ashton
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Quick Tangiers help

I use 4 AF or CH natural coals on my medium funnel bowl. I pack it tight. I keep the shisha under the top of the spire. 3 rings of holes. No hole in the middle. I keep the coals on the outer edges of the bowl. If you still have a tickle, maybe let it sit out more to adjust to the air. I never experience a throat tickle with Tangiers. I only get that with AF.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:00 AM
RaceMyGhost
Hookah Pro

have u acclimated the tobacco? I use 3 1/4" exotica pieces on a small phunnel with double foil

Go Noir or Go Home.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:03 AM
guesswhoy0
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to guesswhoy0

i use 3 CH natural coals on my small phunnel.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:03 AM
IceMan1300
Hookah Newbie

I was using double foil as well, perhaps I should have left more coals on there for longer, and I'll try again after acclimating it a bit, I'll let it sit for a few hours and report back. Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 12:53 PM
DarkD3vil
Hookah Nut

i do not particularly care for massive clouds when im smoking tangiers its just too much for me..
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:12 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

honestly i have NEVER had luck with erics method, just wasted a lot of tobacco and got a lot of burned flavors no matter what. i also found the phunnel is not the best thing to use for me, the vortex works a lot better.

the way i found that works best when packing tangiers is to load the bowl with out fluffing the tobacco but dont really pack it down either, just a touch if any. leave a gap, then i think i did go to the bottom with the holes but it has been a while since i smoked tangiers honestly so i cant remember how i ddi it on the vortex (wish i hadnt dropped it)

orange soda did give a bit more tickle and i think it was just the citrus part that gave that though but if you try different packing methods you will probably get rid of some of it. i usually use 3 ch nats to start it and once they die out i use 2 until the get smaller usually. just gota play with it, each person figures out their own packing methods and coal usage, just like with "normal" tobaccos, just tangiers is more temperamental

-matt
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:23 PM
joevincett
Hookah Pro

When I pack it Eric's way in a small funnel I only use 2 coals at a time and always get great results. IMO 3 is too much and 3 with a windcover is way too much.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:34 PM
jakejacobson
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
honestly i have NEVER had luck with erics method, just wasted a lot of tobacco and got a lot of burned flavors no matter what. i also found the phunnel is not the best thing to use for me, the vortex works a lot better.

the way i found that works best when packing tangiers is to load the bowl with out fluffing the tobacco but dont really pack it down either, just a touch if any. leave a gap, then i think i did go to the bottom with the holes but it has been a while since i smoked tangiers honestly so i cant remember how i ddi it on the vortex (wish i hadnt dropped it)

orange soda did give a bit more tickle and i think it was just the citrus part that gave that though but if you try different packing methods you will probably get rid of some of it. i usually use 3 ch nats to start it and once they die out i use 2 until the get smaller usually. just gota play with it, each person figures out their own packing methods and coal usage, just like with "normal" tobaccos, just tangiers is more temperamental

-matt
I will have to try this later.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejacobson View Post
I will have to try this later.
i also had good luck with a phunnel with the mod compared to just the plain phunnel, still not as good as the vortex though from my experiences

i will say i got some drips from the regular line of tangiers in the vortex but none from the lucid line, not sure if it was just cause of the way each bowl was packed or something else more specific to the tobacco

-matt
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:47 PM
JDShisha
Hookah Nut

i got the throat tickle when i had orange soda.

If it is the Tangiers Noir, then it could be that the tickle is the nictone, and maybe your not used to the high nictone content?
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:11 PM
jakejacobson
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
i also had good luck with a phunnel with the mod compared to just the plain phunnel, still not as good as the vortex though from my experiences

i will say i got some drips from the regular line of tangiers in the vortex but none from the lucid line, not sure if it was just cause of the way each bowl was packed or something else more specific to the tobacco

-matt
I just loaded up a bowl and got pwnd. Ah the memories of continuous failure with tangiers is sadening. Gave up and started over with AF Grape mint. mmmm Buzz was crazy too.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:48 PM
cherno83
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to cherno83

Yea I can't even smoke any of the Noir line that I bought cause of how it closes up my lungs what it feels like. But the Tangiers lucid line is my favorite tobacco brand =3
Old January 5th, 2010, 08:26 AM
IceMan1300
Hookah Newbie

Just wanted to report back, messed with my packing method -- watching eric's video on how to pack it a few times helped me out. Dual foiled, 3 CH Coals(Non quicklights) had it running pretty nicely, good clouds, no harshness. I guess it was just my packing that was off, just wanted to report back saying that it's all good now. I get what you're saying though, about closing the lungs lol, had that feeling a bit, but I like the feeling of the extra nicotine, calms you and mellows you out a bit.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook