Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hookah/shisha with celiac disease???

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:12 AM
Black_Mamba
Hookah Pro

Default Hookah/shisha with celiac disease???

Hey guys, the other day my mom brought up a very important point. I still live at home and at first she was kind of worried about the hookah health-wise. I have convinced her that it's safe (or safe enough at least lol). Both of my parents being ex-smokers, they are very worried about me smoking, since i have smoked cigs in the past, and still smoke a pipe and cigars occasionally. But anyway, she brought up the fact that the shisha i am smoking could contain gluten...

I have a disease called celiac. You can google it for more info if you'd like, but basically, my body cannot tolerate gluten particles, which are found in wheat, barly, and rye. Needless to say, I am on a VERY strict diet. It is so severe that I cannot even eat food made in the same factory with wheat products or eat food cooked with the same pots/pans/utensils as gluten containing foods. Even the slightest amount could cause a flare up and make me sick.

So what I am asking: does anyone know if any ingrediants in the shisha could possibly have traces of wheat barly or rye. I know this is a random and obscure question, but hopefuly someone can give some input. I tried googling and doing some research, but I can't really find much. I know that most of the key ingredients SHOULD be ok, but i'm still not sure. The tobacco and molasses should be ok. What about the flavorings? what products are used to flavor the shisha? what other ingredients are used that could possibly be unsafe?

I know this might be a weird/difficult topic, but thanks for any responses! I would love to continue to enjoy my hookah and just want to make sure it is safe.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:41 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Default Re: Hookah/shisha with celiac disease???

Then smoke Zaghloul it is a traditional moassel contains no glycerin only tobacco and molasses
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:48 AM
Black_Mamba
Hookah Pro

^ i just checked and glycerin seems to be gluten free as well.

are there any other ingredients? like what ingredients are used for the flavoring?
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:55 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

I'm not aware of any moassel that would contain gluten. Mollasses, honey,and glycerin are the primary imulsifiers in moassel and all are gluten free.There may be some flavor additives that might but honestly, I can't think of any that would. I think you'll be fine.

Last edited by abu ronin; January 3rd, 2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:00 AM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

Many of the newer products aka Starbuzz, Ed Hardy, Hookah Hookah, Hookah Freak, etc most likely use artifical flavorings just like what's in candy. As for the older stuff like Nakhla and Al Fakher, I have no idea, but they likely use natural flavorings or the real deal.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:06 AM
Bassem
**~ Supporting Vendor ~**

Mamba- Follow glostersa's advice and stick to the very traditional moassels. The thing you have to remember about anything manufactured/purchased in the Middle East, is that consistancy and quality control are not priority number one. Not even two, or three. I was born and raised in the ME, and buy thousands of dollars of goods from there monthly, and it is an issue we face daily. There's no FDA, no BBB, no CPA, you're pretty much on your own. I've seen this reflected on this very forum, when folks have wondered why a particular brand or flavor of moassel will vary from batch to batch. Not just a little variance, but the cut, chop, flavor, smell, juice, everything. And somehow this is expected, and tolerated. I really can't explain it, it's an Arab thing.
My point is, just because someone tells you, or experience shows you, a certain moassel is safe, and very well may be this time, does NOT mean it will be the next time. Be very cautious, my friend.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:13 AM
jakejacobson
Vendor

Tangiers says:

I’ve heard that some brands are “all natural” is Tangiers?
Nobody’s brand is anywhere near natural. The best I can tell you is that Tangiers Tobacco is Kosher, Halal and Vegan friendly, no animal products are used in making it. Much of the glycerin from the Arab world is made from animal fat, where Tangiers uses only 100% kosher glycerin from plants sources.

Not sure if that helps any.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:14 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassem View Post
Mamba- Follow glostersa's advice and stick to the very traditional moassels. The thing you have to remember about anything manufactured/purchased in the Middle East, is that consistancy and quality control are not priority number one. Not even two, or three. I was born and raised in the ME, and buy thousands of dollars of goods from there monthly, and it is an issue we face daily. There's no FDA, no BBB, no CPA, you're pretty much on your own. I've seen this reflected on this very forum, when folks have wondered why a particular brand or flavor of moassel will vary from batch to batch. Not just a little variance, but the cut, chop, flavor, smell, juice, everything. And somehow this is expected, and tolerated. I really can't explain it, it's an Arab thing.
My point is, just because someone tells you, or experience shows you, a certain moassel is safe, and very well may be this time, does NOT mean it will be the next time. Be very cautious, my friend.
Bassem makes a good point. Many products from that neck of the woods are all over the place w/regards to consistency. Having said that, I can't really see a scenario in which a manufacturer would put gluten in moassel. What would be the point/purpose?
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
Bassem makes a good point. Many products from that neck of the woods are all over the place w/regards to consistency. Having said that, I can't really see a scenario in which a manufacturer would put gluten in moassel. What would be the point/purpose?
King Moassel Beer maybe?

Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
Black_Mamba
Hookah Pro

Alright thanks for all the replies everyone! i didnt think there really would be any in it, i just wanted to double check and make sure it wouldnt make me sick. i will still be cautious though. thanks again
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

My buddy's girlfriend has a gluten intolerance and smokes with us all the time.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 01:39 AM
augustus
Hookah Newbie

Sorry to revive an old topic, but for any other celiacs that may be wondering, gluten is not volatile, meaning it won't vaporize at all, meaning it would just stay in the bowl even if there was any in the shisha. This is the same reason vapor distilled alcohols (even ones made from wheat) are gluten free.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:03 AM
Ahildebrand13
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus View Post
Sorry to revive an old topic, but for any other celiacs that may be wondering, gluten is not volatile, meaning it won't vaporize at all, meaning it would just stay in the bowl even if there was any in the shisha. This is the same reason vapor distilled alcohols (even ones made from wheat) are gluten free.
Thanks for the tip man. And welcome to the forums!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook