Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu
   

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

No Foil?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:58 PM
Memories's Avatar
Memories
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: America
Posts: 379
Default No Foil?

So on New Years eve, we had a little get together at my friends place. We set up the hookah in the storage shack next to the fire and everyone kind of took turns changing the bowl and taking of heat management- what have you.
Anywho, at some point in the night my friend left her brother alone with hookah and he took the foil off and put the coal directly on the shisha. The main problem I had with this is the only reason he did this was because he claimed it got bigger smoke clouds and that foil was like "child proofing" the hookah. His main objective was take big and constant hits, but it was only making the shisha burn out faster.(See Post by Hajo "Sensible Smoking for what i mean http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642 ) While he had the wrong reason for not using foil.. my question is... why would you not use foil? I had heard people talk of going without foil on more traditional shisha.. if i am not mistaken... but i don't see the benefit when you are smoking starbuzz..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:02 PM
joevincett's Avatar
joevincett
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 630
Default Re: No Foil?

Oh man.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:13 PM
kalutika's Avatar
kalutika
Status: Offline
Mad Alchemist

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,250
Default Re: No Foil?

There isn't one. He was just trying to act like a professional. It's an old tactic.
"Well you could smoke it like that, but if your a real hookah smoker you know that you should smoke without foil. I guess you just don't know as much as me."

There are certain forms of shisha tobacco that are smoked with the coals directly on the tobacco but this is not done for clouds. If you were to deep drag on things like tombac you would not make that mistake again soon.

Did he or anyone actually take a drag from the hookah without foil?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:14 PM
Cnphoto's Avatar
Cnphoto
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 543
Default Re: No Foil?

:| you guys got a very large amount of tar in your lungs for doing that now.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:17 PM
Memories's Avatar
Memories
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: America
Posts: 379
Default Re: No Foil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
There isn't one. He was just trying to act like a professional. It's an old tactic.
"Well you could smoke it like that, but if your a real hookah smoker you know that you should smoke without foil. I guess you just don't know as much as me."

There are certain forms of shisha tobacco that are smoked with the coals directly on the tobacco but this is not done for clouds. If you were to deep drag on things like tombac you would not make that mistake again soon.

Did he or anyone actually take a drag from the hookah without foil?
Yeah he was taking big lung hits as well the other random guy that was with him. When i tried it.. I thought it was not anywhere near as good as normal. That's when I told those two guys to just leave it to us to take care of it, because "its our hookah and we want to do it this way".. Lol.. that was pretty much the only way to deal with it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:39 PM
kalutika's Avatar
kalutika
Status: Offline
Mad Alchemist

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,250
Default Re: No Foil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memories View Post
Yeah he was taking big lung hits as well the other random guy that was with him. When i tried it.. I thought it was not anywhere near as good as normal. That's when I told those two guys to just leave it to us to take care of it, because "its our hookah and we want to do it this way".. Lol.. that was pretty much the only way to deal with it.
I suggest you test their fortitude and let them try out some zag or other black style moassel without foil. Tell them that's how the real smokers do it. Then arrange a circle of pillows around them because they will hit the ground pretty hard.

I can promise you that with proper heat management and the right tobacco you can get flavor that will treat you just right along with clouds that will be more than enough for the silly kids that care that much about clouds.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:44 PM
Memories's Avatar
Memories
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: America
Posts: 379
Default Re: No Foil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
I suggest you test their fortitude and let them try out some zag or other black style moassel without foil. Tell them that's how the real smokers do it. Then arrange a circle of pillows around them because they will hit the ground pretty hard.

I can promise you that with proper heat management and the right tobacco you can get flavor that will treat you just right along with clouds that will be more than enough for the silly kids that care that much about clouds.
Yeah i think we will just a make a point of not smoking with them again. I wish more people understood that it isn't about big clouds.. but what can you do. At least, for there sake, they did it with starbuzz we had and not the tangiers we had because that would have been much worse.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:46 PM
kalutika's Avatar
kalutika
Status: Offline
Mad Alchemist

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,250
Default Re: No Foil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memories View Post
Yeah i think we will just a make a point of not smoking with them again. I wish more people understood that it isn't about big clouds.. but what can you do. At least, for there sake, they did it with starbuzz we had and not the tangiers we had because that would have been much worse.
Worse? more hilarious?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:39 PM
chain's Avatar
chain
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 860
Default Re: No Foil?

darn kids these days, that kind of stuff would not fly with me for a second.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:10 AM
sam1618's Avatar
sam1618
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bountiful, Utah
Posts: 55
Default Re: No Foil?

I heard that tobacco that you smoke with coal directly on top is called tombac, whereas shisha has glycerin in it so that you just need heat, and not coal to actually burn the tobacco. Is this correct? Is there a thread in the forum with more info on this?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:21 AM
flippy's Avatar
flippy
Status: Offline
Hookah Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,083
Default Re: No Foil?

Someone tried that with my hookah, I let them proceed and they learned in 1 minute why you do not burn the shisha. The tobacco is meant to be heated, not burned.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:37 PM
manjaco's Avatar
manjaco
Status: Offline
Hookah Aficionado
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,633
Default Re: No Foil?

SO SO SO dumb
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:39 PM
BigBlind's Avatar
BigBlind
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lakeland, Fl
Posts: 781
Default Re: No Foil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjaco View Post
SO SO SO dumb
+1 ...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:37 PM
-jordan-
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: No Foil?

No foil= Bad Call
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:44 PM
LemonJPooding's Avatar
LemonJPooding
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kansas City, KS
Posts: 392
Default Re: No Foil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippy View Post
Someone tried that with my hookah, I let them proceed and they learned in 1 minute why you do not burn the shisha. The tobacco is meant to be heated, not burned.
quoted for truth.
Reply With Quote
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No foil ? rick Hookah Discussion 34 November 25th, 2009 03:02 AM
Foil BigE Hookah Discussion 19 March 21st, 2009 09:58 AM
Never seen foil like this... Wanab Hookah Discussion 10 May 3rd, 2008 09:58 AM
Foil dmcwebd Hookah Discussion 24 April 8th, 2008 02:48 AM
Foil DrewbieSho Hookah Discussion 12 April 5th, 2008 07:27 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.

Skin Design By vBSkinworks



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2012, Hookah Pro Inc.