Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

KM or MZ for first hookah

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 15th, 2008, 03:21 PM
austinthecity
Hookah Pro

Default KM or MZ for first hookah

I've smoked a bit from friends' pipes as well as a few cafes. It's about that time when I take the step and buy my own. After doing a bit of research, I've decided that I want an Egyptian for my first and have narrowed it down to either a KM or MZ.

Please give me some input as I value all of your opinions.

Things to consider:
quality (obviously)
cleaning
ease of assembly/disassembly
strength
sturdiness
looks
life (how long it will last me)

Thx in advance!
Old January 15th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Default Re: KM or MZ for first hookah

You are going to get so many different opinions ...
... mine stands on the Khalil Mamoun, great hookah for the price! I am still kicking myself in the ass for selling my KM Hafa! Luckily I still have my KM Amer!

quality (obviously) - Handmade, and the quality appears to be of that nature, each one is different because they are handmade.
cleaning - stick with a straight stem rod that runs down the center of the shaft. STAY away from the cast poured stems, as they can be very porous and a pain in da ass to clean!
ease of assembly/disassembly - Either the KM or Magdy will be a piece of cake to set up. Just slide the stem in the base!
strength - Both appear to be very strong and withstand general use.
sturdiness - Both pretty sturdy, if you go TOOO tall, it can lose its sturdiness (above 34" in my opinion)
looks - Both look amazing! Traditional and have always received compliments.
life (how long it will last me) - Take care of it, clean it and dry it after every use and should last you a lifetime!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:08 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

They smoke the exact same way.

So it's based mostly on Aesthetics. In my experience, i have notice KM welds are not as good as MZ welds. I have not yet seen an MZ with crappy welds, but i also have seen some KM's with great welds. Hence the reason i trust MZ more when it comes to hookah longevity.

You are getting quality either way, but i would say MZ has more quality control. I'm sure a reputable vendor would snap pics of the welds and send them to you though. So price would be a big decider as well.
Old January 15th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Go with what YOU will be happy with. Both are quality rigs.
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:09 PM
austinthecity
Hookah Pro

thx for the info/advice...
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:32 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinthecity
I've smoked a bit from friends' pipes as well as a few cafes. It's about that time when I take the step and buy my own. After doing a bit of research, I've decided that I want an Egyptian for my first and have narrowed it down to either a KM or MZ.

Please give me some input as I value all of your opinions.

Things to consider:
quality (obviously)
cleaning
ease of assembly/disassembly
strength
sturdiness
looks
life (how long it will last me)

Thx in advance!
glad to see a thread with some thought put into it beforehand! if i were you id go with a stargate from nazarhookah.com.

quality - its made out of some pretty heavy duty materials. and the base is well protected and made of acrylic rather than easily breakable glass.

cleaning - the stargate is VERY easy to clean because of the disassembly. just some hot water and a long brush for the stem and youre all ready to go.

ease of assembly/disassembly - heres a pic to show you, its 32 inches, disassembled it doesnt take up any space. everything is just twist off.

strength - it hits really good! the design is simple so getting a good smoke is easy.

sturdiness - its pretty heavy, and remember, no glass base, its acrylic instead. really hard to tip this thing over unlike other hookahs that wobble and shake during the rough times.

looks - look at it, pretty sleek, all the metal is polished. looks nothing like the other hookahs!

lifespan - keep it clean and take care of it and it shold last you a long time.
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:38 PM
austinthecity
Hookah Pro

I've heard great things about the stargate.. and myas in general also. However I wanted something a little more traditional (personal preference).

Thanks for the input though!
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:42 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinthecity
I've heard great things about the stargate.. and myas in general also. However I wanted something a little more traditional (personal preference).

Thanks for the input though!
darn, was hoping i could guide you to the stargate side haha.
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:06 PM
waterboij23
Hookah Nut

Well my vote goes for the MA as that will be my next piece probably. I dont own a KM so I cant speak of them or compare the two.
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:40 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Many people have offered up good sugestions... I don't either (yet), but I do believe the main difference between a KM and MZ is appearences only. One day I shall own one of both, that will a sweet day ideed!

But if you go with either a KM or MZ, you'll probably fully enjoy your rig. How you take care of it will dictate how long it stays with you, but they should both be able to put up with some abuse.
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:42 PM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

i personally love the looks of KM's, but that is just personal preferance. a KM with an ice bucket is an awesome smoke and is said to last for years and years!!
Old January 19th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

While I have heard good things about Stargates I simply can't buy something made in the PRC as a result of my opposition to slave labour and Communism as well as the mod look just not being for me. As to MZs I understand that they are very well built and have a better finish then most KMs. I love my KM and i've owned more of them then anyone i've ever known and think they have excellent build quality. I own a 33" KM ice chamber that I got from sphinx hookah and i've to say it is fantastic although I don't think you can get the old style 100% leather hose anymore.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook