Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

a copper cored hookah stem?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 15th, 2008, 09:27 PM
smoke-all-day
Hookah Pro

Default a copper cored hookah stem?

so i was cleaning out that dehab hookah stem and noticed that the entire tube is made from copper! is this something i should get rid of right away? there have been endless arguments about copper as a hookah material so i am really unsure of how safe this is. any help would be awesome, and much thanks in advance
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:28 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Re: a copper cored hookah stem?

Entire downstem and core?? That's disapointing!
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:33 PM
smoke-all-day
Hookah Pro

no i think its just the core. the rest seems to be brass
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:34 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Huh.. a Copper core? I have heard all kinda of stuff about Copper. i think that if the Heat isn't directly touching the copper than you should be perfectly fine. I don't think just smoke going through copper would pick up any extra shit along the way.

Aren't pipes that water flows through in your home made of copper?
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:36 PM
mr weenis
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk
Huh.. a Copper core? I have heard all kinda of stuff about Copper. i think that if the Heat isn't directly touching the copper than you should be perfectly fine. I don't think just smoke going through copper would pick up any extra shit along the way.

Aren't pipes that water flows through in your home made of copper?
newer homes use PVC pipes, i think, but i could be wrong
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:39 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr weenis
as long as my hookah isnt made of cheap PVC material, i have nothing to worry about.
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:19 PM
mr weenis
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr weenis
as long as my hookah isnt made of cheap PVC material, i have nothing to worry about.
heh, i agree.

lead, though. make sure theres no lead either.
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:24 PM
smoke-all-day
Hookah Pro

as far as i can tell there is only solder where the copper meets the brass. anybody know what color streak lead leaves on a white stone compared to solder?
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:55 AM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer

best to pm fursaken on that as he will know all about that stuff. even with a copper core remember the bowl will slightly heat up the stem, sure not to a bad point most likely but it does heat it up.
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

yes, agreed fursaken knows his stuff when it comes to metal ...

sorry to ask, but are you SURE? it is copper and not brass?

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:45 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I've seen a bunch of different descriptions on HC and alot of them do say copper. But to make a core out of Copper? wouldn't that cost mroe than brass? The Dahab looked pretty well made when i last saw it, and i don't think i would say copper is a very god metal to make things look "Well-made".

The people who build these hookahs sometimes use scrap metal though, for lack of resources. HC wouldn't sell that kinda stuff woudl they? :P
Old January 18th, 2008, 12:21 AM
smoke-all-day
Hookah Pro

its for sure copper. i would post up a pic but i left my camera in a friends car on new years and unfortunately he lives in chicago. the part where you put the bowl, when you look into it you can tell by the color, and where the bulb is welded on to the end of the down stem you can also see the orange color
Old January 18th, 2008, 07:14 PM
FURsAKeN
Hookah Enthusiast

Brass can have a orange-ish gleam to it depending on the quality/series of metal. Only way to really know is a scratch test and/or if you can get a picture of the weld. Brass and Copper when welded use a similar types of filler material, but when brazed cool to a different tone.
There are alot of theories to the uses and safety of copper. FDA did a testing and research on cooper, I can go back and find it. There is alot of speculation if it safe for not, scientist and doctors alike are constantly studying its health effects. Problem is with copper, it can effect you differently depending on the quality of it, unlike most metals. I honestly wouldn't smoke out of copper until FDA or some one else with backing releases something solid on it. My opinion, I don't think its safe. There has been no true long term studies on using copper to smoke. I just know a few guys in our shop that fabricated a cigar pipe out of copper tubing and got really messed up with metal poisoning.
As for houses, they still use nickel-copper pipes for water and gas. PVC is mainly used for drainage.

/root
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:55 PM
smoke-all-day
Hookah Pro

its been a while since i learned about that stuff, what color streak do both metals leave? i wanna say copper leaves green but i honestly cant remember at all
Old January 20th, 2008, 03:04 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Eek it gets me nervous knowing someone is smoking with a hookah with a copper core stem.

Haha its probably because I was helping out my dad weld two copper pipes together today with a blowtorch. I saw smoke coming out of the ends and it smelled really bad. I just get nervous about you using that hookah cuz just knowing that if the heat gets to the copper and starts to smoke...
Old January 21st, 2008, 05:16 AM
FURsAKeN
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke-all-day
its been a while since i learned about that stuff, what color streak do both metals leave? i wanna say copper leaves green but i honestly cant remember at all
Copper creates vertigres, just like brass. Its green and very crystal/power like substance, and its not nessarily harmful as long as you keep it under control. Also, copper can also produce a white corrosion like substance, depending on what kind of liquid is comming into contact with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyIsJustKidding
Haha its probably because I was helping out my dad weld two copper pipes together today with a blowtorch. I saw smoke coming out of the ends and it smelled really bad. I just get nervous about you using that hookah cuz just knowing that if the heat gets to the copper and starts to smoke...
Brazing normally causes smoke from the melting of the filler material and also the coating on the pipe. When the coating burns away it causes a noxious smell and fumes. Don't worry, if you do own a copper core more then likely there is no coasting on it to prevent corrosion; that's where the cross metal plating comes in to play.
I sweat the matter if the copper was in direct heat or absorbing any high temps.
I really need to post something about the various metals, cleaning properties, and corrosion. Murf..

/root
Old January 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Have any of you guys seen the inside of a Mya stem? It looks like it has been sprayed with gold colored tuff-bed stuff that you put in the back of your truck. It's very rough the the touch, and pretty impossible to get a good picture of.

It looks exactly like brass, maybe it's un-sanded?

Old January 21st, 2008, 11:01 PM
OBY
Hookah Newbie

I am the person that says everything is fine with copper and hookah. Copper needs a heat higher than a coal can produce before it will get toxic for hookah.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook