Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How do the middle east light there coals on the street?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 11th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Nate
Banned

Default How do the middle east light there coals on the street?

Here is a question i can find the answer too, how do they light there coals in public in the middle east? You can find pictures everywhere of them sitting in the streets, sitting in the park etc, they have natural wood coals on there hookahs, i have studied picture after picture, goggled the subject etc. None of the pictures show a stove, or a fire, etc. I thought about taking a natural coal and soaking it in denatured alcohol, since once its burned off there should be no order or taste, and it burns very hot, and a little goes along way but haven't tried yet. So i am wondering? How do they light there coals?
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Cnphoto
Hookah Pro

Default Re: How do the middle east light there coals on the street?

thats a very good question, maybe a small torch lighter? i havent lived in iran since i was 6 so i really wouldnt know :\
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:15 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Here is a question i can find the answer too, how do they light there coals in public in the middle east? You can find pictures everywhere of them sitting in the streets, sitting in the park etc, they have natural wood coals on there hookahs, i have studied picture after picture, goggled the subject etc. None of the pictures show a stove, or a fire, etc. I thought about taking a natural coal and soaking it in denatured alcohol, since once its burned off there should be no order or taste, and it burns very hot, and a little goes along way but haven't tried yet. So i am wondering? How do they light there coals?
well if you know already why don't you tell us lol

my guess will also be a small torch.. or maybe.. shit idk lol
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:23 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
you really shouldnt have given me that idea since i had denatured alcohol back up at my apartment... hmmm

this is honestly probably one of the best questions ive seen here in a while

-matt
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Crown Hookahs
Vendor

Send a message via AIM to Crown Hookahs

I can just see two gentlemen sitting on the street smoking, one turns to the other and says "Hey man, can I borrow your torch lighter and a chunk of lemonwood?"

This thread made me think and smile.
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

The same way you light BBQ coals.
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:38 PM
atwoll
Hookah Newbie

When I was deployed to Iraq the Truckers(the majority were Turkish) that smoked often had a propane range ( they often made tea and smoked) a good way to calm down after convoying. In the city they used their stoves atleast that's what I was told
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:38 PM
blacklit
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
maybe in pictures, nate. i rarely ever saw shisha smoked at public places where there wasn't a restaurant. it's usually at cafe's with open fire / outdoor kitchens. you'd see glowing coals where the kabobs, chicken, and shawarmas are grilling. i have seen portable coal stoves on occasion though.. something like this.

it was ~$3 for one shisha, and the coals would come all night at many places.

Last edited by blacklit; January 11th, 2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:50 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

I'd say with a small charcoal chimney or fire vessel most likely. Same way we would lite coals outside.
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
I spend a fair chunk of time in the Middle East and I rarely see anyone smoking a narghile in the street unless they have a home just a few feet away. For the most part people smoke in or very near a home or in a cafe and they light coals with propane stoves or sometimes people use small stoves fired with wood are charcoal but that is more of rural thing. I think the pictures you speak of are mostly staged.
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:15 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

just remember the alcohol will burn off and might just heat the coal but not to such an extent to make it glow just look at the wicks of a methylated spirits burner the wick after flame is extinguished is still ok not burned to a cinder. and the coal will absorb the alcohol so that method would be major trial and error. Best would be propane stove or heat the coals over a wood fire
Old January 12th, 2010, 09:03 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Well I can say it is not a torch lighter if the coal are natural. I have THIS butane solder/torch and all I can say is that it is awesome for quicklights. Tried it once on a natural and ran out of butane before the thing was even close to being done.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:01 PM
rossrox182
Hookah Newbie

This was me a few years ago in dubai, there was about 20 hookahs dotted about this place, me and my dad had this one, the guys that were doing the coal was doing it with some liquid and a torch lighter, unknown to what the liquid was...
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures 177.jpg  
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:09 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

Torch lighters plus ******* Hookah quicklites are a great time lol.
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:32 PM
omrigo
Hookah Newbie

as a middle eastern i use Qls only
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Nate
Banned

have to keep this on top since no one has a positive answer and all just assumptions, come on people! and no offense but a lighter would take like a hour to light a lemon wood coal, they transport there hookahs to the parks by the river, i watched this on pbs! never did it show how they light there coals, and in part of the film they showed a guy sitting with his family and you could clearly see wood coals on his hookah, there was no cafe or house anywhere, no on to the next subject we here in the us light or grill charcoal using a naphtha (zippo fluid) like fluid. but that as you all know leaves a smell, and taste at least for a very long time, so i will give alittle denatured alcohol a try, as i know you only need alittle in a homemade backpackers can stove to boil 2 cups of water, the flame the it produces when burning is white(clear) and blue which is as hot as a substance will burn, it should leave the coal tasteless and orderless. its just cold in wisco and honestly i dont feel like getting a turtle head today. im just doing my best to think of new post ideas for sam, keep them rolling.
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:05 PM
swaflyer1
Hookah Nut

i saw this post and i asked a friend who's father grew up in Iran. He said that mostly the people in the streets are at cafes and stuff, even if they move away from the tables. but the coals he used to use were natural coals and he said mostly there were small chimney stoves that were used to light the coals that were located somewhere near wherever he would smoke.
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Burakiosaurus
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoll View Post
When I was deployed to Iraq the Truckers(the majority were Turkish) that smoked often had a propane range ( they often made tea and smoked) a good way to calm down after convoying. In the city they used their stoves atleast that's what I was told
sounds like typical Turks tea and nargile go hand in hand and i have partaken in that combination many a time.

never had nargile at someones house in Turkey, always in cafes. some places use normal charcoal and some use specific nargile coals
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:24 PM
blazingking
Hookah Nut

when i first started smoking shisha i used to light natuarals with a match and heat it for about 15 seconds and then smoke and after about 15 minutes the coals would be pure red.
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:44 PM
joeyvonotto
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to joeyvonotto Send a message via Yahoo to joeyvonotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingking View Post
when i first started smoking shisha i used to light natuarals with a match and heat it for about 15 seconds and then smoke and after about 15 minutes the coals would be pure red.
you did this to natrual coals? not quick light?
Old January 12th, 2010, 06:05 PM
blazingking
Hookah Nut

Quote:
you did this to natrual coals? not quick light?
yeah nats cs my mum used to get angry with me messin up the cooker so i used matches. i think i used to use abo abed coal for this method i would use a lighter aswell somtimes but only for 15 seconds.
Old January 12th, 2010, 06:07 PM
blazingking
Hookah Nut

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-451-a...kah-coals.html

those were the coals i used but at my local shop they're called something like abo abed
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:29 PM
blacklit
Hookah Newbie

lol.. is it that baffling? how many ways can you come up with, people normally light natural wood coals. how many feasible ways can they possibly be lit, esp at places with no continuous heat source? not really rocket science.

when you go to saudi, the emirates, egypt, lebanon, syria, etc you don't see people smoking hookah at random places, despite what your most valued source (PBS) shows. swaflyer, rossrox, hajo flettner, atwol aren't assuming.. they're speaking from experience.

on a diff note..
we've had some very silly questions come on here. it's terrible.. lol.. favorite songs to smoke to? most indispensable hookah item? : o / really? come on...

how about:
color of your lighter?
have you ever burned yourself?
drinking used hookah water?
who likes the smell of a used old leather hose?
smoking w/ no underwear

kidding aside.. what does this do for sam?
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Nate
Banned

blacklit? what does this do for sam which post that sam wrote recently? i will give you a clue it hasn't left the front page in days and it has to do with a contest. read the post. nice attitude dude. smoke a hookah and relax or something, a negative action gets a negative result...
Old January 15th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Castro
Hookah Newbie

I have seen in the UAE's abudabi and dubai they have these coal baskets in which the coal stays lit and glow above a flame till they walk around with there tongs and place them on patrons hookahs.. so I guess one fire all day long
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook