Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Solid Brass woes.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 18th, 2010, 11:17 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Solid Brass woes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
only easy flow is down to the 50%, and there is very little use for it, hard solder is 76/21/3 (silver,copper,zinc), the lower temp silver solders are really yellow and dont match well. but ya IT (eutectic) solder is about 80/16/4 and has a melting of 1490*f and the only time that is used is for enameling but realistically unless it is really delicate you might as well tig weld it

-matt
There are various silver solders with Ag %s around or below 50 but that's beyond the point. I made that statement to give an idea of how much silver is actually in a low temp silver solder.
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:08 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Default Re: Solid Brass woes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foibled View Post
There are various silver solders with Ag %s around or below 50 but that's beyond the point. I made that statement to give an idea of how much silver is actually in a low temp silver solder.
one of the issues here is the debauchery that is terminology in the metals field. soldering has become a general term covering anything where you are adding in metal and not melting the base metals when it is not the correct term half the time (brazing). in what i do "silver solder" is jeweler's solder which is always 50% or higher silver content, the only other solder i ever use is low temp pewter solder which doesnt have any silver in it. im really not sure what the advantages of having a low temp silver with some silver in it compared to just other cheaper low temp solders, i know there is be different properties but in the end im not sure why they would be used.

-matt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook