Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Mouth Bite with Hookah

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 13th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Ossus
Hookah Newbie

Default Mouth Bite with Hookah

So, I smoke a pipe and I know what mouth bite is like.

I have noticed when smoking starbuzz, I get great smoke, no harsh, great flavor, but I get a slight mouth bite.

Has anyone experienced mouth bite with a hookah? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

I pack it below the rim on my egyptian bowl, not packed, not burning, etc...

Thoughts?
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:05 PM
swaflyer1
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Mouth Bite with Hookah

if you mean like a throat tickle, i sometimes get that with SB too.
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:06 PM
bAsiRaH
Banned

Menthol, menthol, menthol as well as a variety of other crap SB adds to their shisha, gotta love it tho
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Ossus
Hookah Newbie

Not a throat tickle. The same sort of mouth bite one would get from smoking a pipe or cigar too quickly.

Its also not a menthol thing. None of the shisha is menthol.
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:00 AM
unicycleboy3190
Hookah Pro

just like a hot odd smoke taste?

Old January 14th, 2010, 02:28 AM
-jordan-

Yeah I don't get it, I've NEVER in my experience gotten a mouth bite, resembling lighting up or smoking a cigar too quick.. Only a throat tickle, never from startbuzz.. Only from AF.
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:58 AM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

I know what you are talking about, but I have never had something like that with shisha. Thought you could only get a bite if whatever you are smoking actually burned. Try taking smaller drags, your mouth may not be fully used to it.
Old January 14th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Khelina
Hookah Nut

I've never experienced that. Sounds a bit wierd, really.
And I agree with Flippy, try taking smaller drags.
Old January 14th, 2010, 03:37 AM
LemonJPooding
Hookah Nut

mouth bite shouldnt be happening at all really. Unless you havnt put very cold water in the base or you are burning the shisha. hmm
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:44 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Too much heat in one place is usually the culprit, especially with starbuzz. Just like in a pipe, smoking really fast or even having too much heat or a bad pack can do that and it's very easy to notice in the light tobaccos like starbuzz.

I would say use less coal and use a windcover, and rotate the coals throughout the session. It's best to rotate before the harsh flavor hits, so this could be every 10-15 minutes depending on the tobacco used.
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Ossus
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

A couple notes. I don't think I'm burning the shisha. I'm not getting any harshness or sticking to foil.

Its also something that just started happening, and only with starbuzz. I would say my mouth is fairly used to smoke; pipe, cigar, and hookah for 6 years now.

I tried the smaller drags, to no avail.

The water is room temperature. I'll try some fusion tonight and see if I have the same issue.
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:23 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I would have no problem blaming the Starbutt. Al Fakher does the same to my mouth and throat.
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I can't say I recall ever getting the sort of bite that happens when you smoke a pipe the wrong way but I would assume that it would be caused by too much heat. Better heat management and slow, shallow inhales takes care of 90% of the problems most people face when smoking.
Old January 16th, 2010, 04:43 PM
coolmojo
Hookah Newbie

I'm also a pipe smoker. (as well as cigars, shisha, snuff, and snus user)

For those that don't know what he's referring too when you are a pipe smoker sometimes certain tobacco's don't mix well with you bodies chemistry and cause a slight chemical burn in the surface of your mouth.

The best way I can describe the feeling is, its like when you burn your mouth from eating hot food while at the same time all the taste buds on your tongue feel inflamed.

Its a combination of things that cause it with pipe tobacco.
1. Heat. Pipe tobacco can get hotter then other forms of smoking, the harder you draw with the pipe the hotter it gets, you can lessen tongue bite by practicing and smoking cooler.
2. Steam. Pipe tobacco can vary but some (especially aromatic tobacco) can be very wet and cause a lot of steam. That steam carries over the chemicals that cause bite more easily.
3 tobacco chemistry combined with your own body chemistry. Much more complicated and less understood, its possible your particularly susceptible to tongue bite. But even if you are, your the first person I've heard of to have this problem with cigars.

While I'm perplexed as to why you'd get this with cigar smoke, i'm dumbfounded its happening with shisha. For starters it doesn't get much cooler then smoking through a water cooled pipe. Secondly your not so much burning tobacco as baking it which shouldn't release near as much chemicals as a pipe. Third your not smoking tobacco alone, but smoking it dripping in flavorings.

You did mention this just starting happening, I'd guess that your extremely susceptible to tongue bite to begin with and your body chemistry has changed due to diet or environmental changes such that your now having problems with shisha tobacco you haven't before. Try other brands/flavors and see if its happening with just some brands and not others. Even with that i'd say you have to be overcooking the tobacco somehow to release enough chemicals to remain unfiltered by the water and still hit your mouth in high enough concentrations to cause bite.

Either that or your getting bite from the pipe smoking and the shisha smoking is somehow tweaking the bite you already have. Its still strange but a little more plausible then the shisha causing it.

The fastest easiest solution I can come up with is drink LOTS more liquid which should wash your mouth out more and prevent bite, and alter your setup such that your not overcooking the tobacco. Try different tobacco's and find ones that dont bite as bad, much as pipe smoker has to do. The harder slower suggestion is find out whats changed your personal change it back. Afraid your on your own as to how to accomplish the last one
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook