Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Just got my Tangiers Phunnel Bowl…a bit of a anti-climax

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 14th, 2010, 10:42 AM
anis14
Hookah Guru

Default Just got my Tangiers Phunnel Bowl…a bit of a anti-climax

[FONT=Verdana]I just received my Small Tangiers phunnel bowl on Tuesday after a lot of research on forums and youtube. I went with the tangiers bowl because it seemed more versatile in types of shisha it could smoke and general popularity. I have no problems with the size of the small bowl as 20-30g of tobacco is the usual amount I smoke.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]After setting it up with some Al Fakher Peach my problem began. The foil kept on getting sucked into the phunnel despite my attempts to tighten the foil. The annoying thing is that I was following the instructions from various how-to videos including Patelbadboy2006. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]In the end I searched the forums for a solution and used a paperclip placed inside the phunnel to stop the foil touching the spire. I have now also made a tea light candle scalli mod as an alternative to the paperclip.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Looking at my phunnel bowl the spire itself it appears that it is not completely flat at the top and one side is higher than the other. This could explain the foil problem but I cannot say that for sure.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Overall for the amount paid it seems that the Tangiers phunnel bowl has more problems then benefits. It has me second guessing my choice to buy it or whether I should have gone with a vortex bowl. It certainly looks better then a vortex bowl in my opinion and it does retain the shisha’s flavour and is less mess at the end of a smoke. However with the problems I have had it does make the tangiers phunnel bowl an anti-climax. [/FONT]
Old January 14th, 2010, 10:49 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Re: Just got my Tangiers Phunnel Bowl…a bit of a anti-climax

Where'd you get the phunnel from?
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:07 AM
anis14
Hookah Guru

I got my phunnel from Shishabuzz. They are a very good vendor. The bowl is authentic its not a chinese one or some kind of knock off.
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:38 AM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

the phunnel bowl is temperamental, if your not happy with the mod you can get high grit sand paper and sand the spire down, combine that with some electrical tape around the neck to keep the foil drum tight and you should have more success, also heavy duty foil makes a big difference, then get a vortex
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:52 PM
KyleTheJustin
Hookah Newbie

I've been using phunnels since I started smoking and used to come across this problem allllllll the time. Hole pattern is key when using a phunnel, as well as placing the coals on the very outermost edge of the bowl to ensure there is no weight placed on the spire itself. I know that some people have sanded the spire down and had trouble with shisha clogging the spire. Always poke holes in the spire and place the coals on the outermost edge. If that doesn't work, which it doesn't for some, get a Scallis mod or look for videos that show you how to make one with a tea candle. Hope that helps! Phunnels put vortex bowls to shame all day long; you just have to know how to use 'em!
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:32 PM
anis14
Hookah Guru

Thanks for the tips guys I will try them out. I think I just need to use the bowl more to get used to it but it's a shame the thing doesn't work straight out of the box. I have the paperclip and tea light candle mod ready to go as a back up so the phunnel bowl will be used.
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:36 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

Just use binder clips, just stick them into the spire and it raises the foil just high enough to get good smoke.
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:35 PM
blindguy
Hookah Newbie

I agree with the binder clip mod. I actually bought the glass scali mod and use that but before I got that I tried everything. the tea candle mod, paperclip but what worked best was the binderclip with the round part down the stem and the two little prongs sticking out the top.
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

You didn't do all your research .. cuz you will see a lot of people here will recommend the Vortex over the phunnel.

As a matter of fact if someone wants to buy my medium and small phunnel they can! They just collect dust now .. I prefer the Vortex for soaking wet tobacco and the good old Egyptian bowl for drier tobaccos.

Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old January 14th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

I find the Phunnel in general to be overrated, but I'm in the minority.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old January 14th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Nate
Banned

Funnel Bowls have there place, like when smoking tangiers with a few people on the same hookah, i have two vortex bowls, one that deeper than the other and they are my to go to for wet shisha when i am alone, but do not work as well when i have multiple people hitting the tangiers hard.
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:10 PM
anis14
Hookah Guru

Well Sambooka I did search the forums and it seems that the Phunnel vs. Vortex war will continue for a while because I don't think that there is a definitive answer. Using Bradedup's video on both bowls as a reference they are pretty much the same in performance. And looking at threads on the bowls it’s a split decision.

My choice boiled down to aesthetics. The phunnel for me looks a lot better than a vortex. Also for when I get some tangiers I wanted the perfect bowl to smoke it. Many people have both bowls and have had varied results so it seems both bowls have their faults.
I was disappointed with the fact that it’s a very tricky bowl to get right but once I added the paperclip mod it smoked fantastic.
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:10 PM
BigBlind
Hookah Pro

that is why i just went with the vortex bowl from the beginning!!
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
I find the Phunnel in general to be overrated, but I'm in the minority.
It is overrated and overhyped, just like their tobacco.
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Dreamer1917
Hookah Nut

Why didn't someone say "Que the elephant"?!?
Old January 14th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Hookah Newb
Hookah Nut

sorry for your luck

i've had 2 chinese funnels that have gave me nothing but good times. they're both in the trash though i keep dropping these damn things lol

i bought a 3rd one but this one is the real tangiers bowl, i was debating on getting the real one since the chinese ones are cheaper and do the same thing but with the risk of a tall spire, i didn't want to push my luck any more that i already have *shrugs*

i also have a vortex on the way too though, and a egyptian so that i can complete my bowl line up
Old January 14th, 2010, 08:40 PM
datdudealex
Hookah Newbie

i love my phunnel bowls..just trial and error. i think HD to regular foil is a big difference. or i like to after packing, rub the shisha juice around the top of the bowls edge and make a sort of adhesive. but maybe try sanding down the spire if u feel its too high.
Old January 14th, 2010, 08:41 PM
delSol_si
Hookah Nut

in my opinion, tangiers phunnels kick ass. I will admit, when i got my first phunnel, i was disappointed the first few times using it. BUT, once you get used to how to pack it and the heat management, the phunnel bowl is great. it is the only bowl i use anymore unless i don't have a lot of shisha left and i don't feel like messing with the mod.

i can't say much on the vortex, i have never used one, so i can't compare, but i do know i love my phunnels.

as for the chinese phunnel, don't waste your money, they are inferior to the tangiers phunnel, i have never owned one, but i have heard to many horror stories to give it a try. 1st, i have been told they break much easier. 2nd, i like supporting the innovator. and 3. i have been told they don't retain heat nearly as well.

that is another thing you are going to want to look at with the vortex, will it retain heat like a phunnel bowl will? i don't know the answer to that, but i do know my phunnels retain heat like crazy. hell, if i have 2 coals sitting on my phunnel and i go to take it off, i have to use a rag because the thing is so hot, plus i have to let it sit for a long ass time before handling it. and yes, that is a GOOD thing, that means the shisha is getting warmed up a lot better.

like i said though, i can't speak for the vortex because i have never owned one, but i can give my observations on the tangiers phunnels.
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:53 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ive had ok luck with the phunnel personally, my friends have gotten a crappy phunnel that had that issue. honestly i am not impressed with the design.

i am starting to get more and more to the thinking of dunkel, i dont totally blow off tangiers at this point but i am really thinking its a pretty big joke, then again if you look at a lot of the consistency and "quality" that is forced on us and cons us out of money (egyptian glass and the "hand made quality" ) its not a big surprise. <rant> i still call bull shit on humidity shock </rant> sorry.

i did have a lot better luck with the scali mod, even with tangiers (but o no thats the wrong way... probably because it doesnt waste as much tobacco). over all though honestly a good egyptian bowl is the way to go for me, vortex for the tangiers i can get to work.

-matt
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:03 AM
KyleTheJustin
Hookah Newbie

I've smoked out of every kind of bowl mentioned in this thread: egyptian, vortex, and different derivations of phunnels. From my experience, and this isn't coming from a one-sided standpoint, the phunnels come out on top, followed by the egyptians, closely followed by the vortex bowls. All three bowls provided amazing smoke, but I just feel that my phunnel gets the best smoke, the longest sessions, and is multi-fuctional with various brands of shisa. I'll have to make a video of my vortex vs. phunnel debate, but we've done both and conclude that phunnels take the cake. And Tangiers shisha isn't crap by any means. It's touchy, yes, but amazing all the same.
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:27 PM
shisha_lover
Hookah Nut

Hey guys, I'd say a Vortex myself. The phunnels are quite hard to use and they seemd to demand too much effort
Old January 29th, 2010, 04:47 PM
rwdftw
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to rwdftw

i have had a phunnel for 2 years and never had a problem. its all about they way you poke your holes. i just poke 2 rings and up the coals on the lip, never a problem.
Old January 29th, 2010, 05:00 PM
britjh22
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
You didn't do all your research .. cuz you will see a lot of people here will recommend the Vortex over the phunnel.

As a matter of fact if someone wants to buy my medium and small phunnel they can! They just collect dust now .. I prefer the Vortex for soaking wet tobacco and the good old Egyptian bowl for drier tobaccos.

Cheers!
PM me with price on small phunnel.
Old January 29th, 2010, 07:49 PM
guesswhoy0
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to guesswhoy0

It could possibly be your hole pattern on your foil. When I'm using my phunnel for non-tangiers tobacco, I do 3 thumb tack sized circles around the phunnel and 1-2 holes in the center. When smoking tangiers, I use toothpick sized holes poked all the way through to the bottom and I go across just like in Eric's how to pack tangiers video except I'm not using an oyster fork.
Old January 29th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Hookah Newb
Hookah Nut

A strange thing I noticed while I was smoking lastnight with a friend.

While sucking I noticed the foil actually goes up instead of getting sucked into the foil. As if someone was blowing up through the bottom of the stem out the top of the bowl.

This was with a small tangiers funnel w/ starbuzz fuzzy navel and 2 CH QL's

I'm working on getting a vid of this to show my proof
Share with your friends on facebook