Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Smoking with fish?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 21st, 2010, 05:31 PM
Black_Mamba
Hookah Pro

Default Smoking with fish?

I have a question for everyone. I mostly smoke in my room at my desk, on which my siamese fighting fish lives (betta fish whatever lol). I got him recently from two of my friends for christmas. Is it bad for me to smoke so close to him? I know that they need more surface area of air on the water because they get most of their water from the surface, due to evolving in rice paddies etc. So is my increase of carbon dioxide/monoxide harmful to him? I usually try not to blow the smoke right on top of his tank but sometimes i forget.

whats your opinion?
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:32 PM
Jride
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jride
Default Re: Smoking with fish?

Make the fish tank into a hookah. Im sure the fishies will dig it.
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:38 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Mamba View Post
I have a question for everyone. I mostly smoke in my room at my desk, on which my siamese fighting fish lives (betta fish whatever lol). I got him recently from two of my friends for christmas. Is it bad for me to smoke so close to him? I know that they need more surface area of air on the water because they get most of their water from the surface, due to evolving in rice paddies etc. So is my increase of carbon dioxide/monoxide harmful to him? I usually try not to blow the smoke right on top of his tank but sometimes i forget.

whats your opinion?
how often do you smoke? If you've had him since Christmas and he hasnt gotten sick or died I think you will be fine smoking the way you have been.
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:39 PM
Nate
Banned

The fish will be fine. your good. its good. i work on my 210 gallon all the time while smoking cigs, been doing it for years never has a problem
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:49 PM
Black_Mamba
Hookah Pro

^sounds good. although my tank isnt nearly that big haha its only about 2.5 gallons. Hopefully in the near future I plan on getting a 10 or 15 so I can add dividers and get some more betta. I have fallen in love with them

also, do you mind me asking what kind of fish/tank setup you have?
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:56 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
The fish will be fine. your good. its good. i work on my 210 gallon all the time while smoking cigs, been doing it for years never has a problem
210 damn! I get exhausted taking care of a 55 lol

Old January 21st, 2010, 06:42 PM
Nate
Banned

Not so bad, 210 is in the wall, it has a room behind it for maintenance, the filter is homemade using a 75 gallon tank , it has 3 external pumps for return from the main tank that circulate aprox 6000 gallons per hour, it has a full RODI water filer, that is turned on by a flout switch as water evaporates, etc etc etc its all fully automated, lighting is 3 400 watt metal halides and 4 t5ho attincs (blue light) and a 4 foot skimmer, i clean the glass once a week with a magnet, and the water changes all i have to do is add the salt to a tub and let it mix and heat up, than i turn a few valves the 75 gallon empties, and the fresh salt water fills it back up. very simple, maybe 20 to 30 minutes a week. Oh its a salt water reef by the way and i would post a picture if i could figure out how. Its Beautiful been in the hobby for many many years.
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:48 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Not so bad, 210 is in the wall, it has a room behind it for maintenance, the filter is homemade using a 75 gallon tank , it has 3 external pumps for return from the main tank that circulate aprox 6000 gallons per hour, it has a full RODI water filer, that is turned on by a flout switch as water evaporates, etc etc etc its all fully automated, lighting is 3 400 watt metal halides and 4 t5ho attincs (blue light) and a 4 foot skimmer, i clean the glass once a week with a magnet, and the water changes all i have to do is add the salt to a tub and let it mix and heat up, than i turn a few valves the 75 gallon empties, and the fresh salt water fills it back up. very simple, maybe 20 to 30 minutes a week. Oh its a salt water reef by the way and i would post a picture if i could figure out how. Its Beautiful been in the hobby for many many years.
wow...salt too. I have a 12g aquapod reef and it's a beautiful tank but expensive for something so small. i'd love to see pics if you can post em.

Old January 21st, 2010, 06:52 PM
Nate
Banned

I think i got it, this is a picture of it from like 3 years ago, before the trim was put around it, i cant stand back far enough anymore because there is a pool table in the way, the corals and fish are still really small compared to now but you'll get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
FISH TANK.jpg  
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:55 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

lol, where else can you go an ask a question like this and get this many responses so fast!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:00 PM
Nate
Banned

Yes your right about that sambooka, what a thread, can you smoke with your fish
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:05 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

the fish will be fine, CO shouldn't get into the water that easily and there's no way you'd get the saturation up enough to deal the fish any lasting harm.

I kept piranhas and planted tanks all through college smoked near them all the time and nothing ever happened.

"From zero to hookah, in nothing flat."
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:06 PM
Nate
Banned

Oh and Mr bungle yes it is expensive lol by now i could have at-least 1 new car if not 2, just in tank and equipment alone i would say there is a easy solid 15g and to date there has to be a good 10g in live stock, there is 143 coral species in the tank, about 40 fish, 500 pounds of live rock (figi, marshal island, tonga, and branch) hundreds of snails, crabs, reef critters, starts etc. but its spend over many years, this tank has been going for about 6 now
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:06 PM
Frenchy1000
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to Frenchy1000

as most people have said, the fishies should be grand
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:59 PM
MC_Gatty
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmaven View Post
the fish will be fine, CO shouldn't get into the water that easily and there's no way you'd get the saturation up enough to deal the fish any lasting harm.

I kept piranhas and planted tanks all through college smoked near them all the time and nothing ever happened.
Where do you get pirahnas? Unsurprisingly, I've never seen them at walmart/petco/etc
Old January 21st, 2010, 09:10 PM
Black_Mamba
Hookah Pro

wow guys, i never expected all this lol though its good to hear the fish should be fine.

but nate, that setup is awesome. I would absolutely love to have something similar. Sadly, there is no way a poor college student like me could afford it .but i guess thats why i am going in the first place haha!
Old January 21st, 2010, 09:59 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmaven View Post

Dude! Your school let you keep piranhas? Our school's rule was "NON-carnivorous aquatic pets -- if it can't survive for 24 hours completely underwater and survive on plants, you can't have it". No turtles, newts, piranhas, or even stuff that ate shrimp. It sucked.
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:56 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

I thought you were asking about fish flavored shisha or something.

Made me think California Roll flavored shisha mmm sounds good...
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:04 PM
MC_Gatty
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippy View Post
I thought you were asking about fish flavored shisha or something.

Made me think California Roll flavored shisha mmm sounds good...
ACK
I love sushi and I love the shisha, but thinking about mixing them... I think I just died a little
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:15 PM
Black_Mamba
Hookah Pro

^agreed
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:18 PM
Nate
Banned

Ha i cant believe a thread about smoking with fish has made it this far. thanks black mamba for the complements, yes i have already been to collage it takes a long time, up until 6 years ago i had a 55 gallon. Oh ya i think we have all determined that smoking is safe for fish, they must not have lungs, or maybe because there cold blooded, i mean they can survive oil spills people.
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:20 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

we had a snake and pacus in my science class... we used to throw the snakes pinkys in the tank with the pacus and they used to tear those suckers up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxSkbCAmb2o

like that lol...

and to answer your fish question.. he will be fine.. i smoke in my living room at times next to my tank and they are fine
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:48 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

my betta was fine with me smoking in the same room as it for a year until its swimbladder burst and it couldnt swim correctly and i poured cheap scotch in the bowl
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:11 AM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

awwww you killed it.. how did it die? like just sink?
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:12 AM
gnuworldorder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD_HATTER View Post
awwww you killed it.. how did it die? like just sink?
its back sank so its swam like \ so i decided to get it really drunk and put it out since it was 3 years old
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook