Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

HELP WITH VORTEX AND COCO NARA

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
killak3v
Hookah Nut

Default HELP WITH VORTEX AND COCO NARA

hey HP just wanted to get some help on packing a vortex bowl right and lighting coco naras i had the coals on a open flame last night for like 15 mintues and some side were still completely black also with the vortex bowl are u supposed to cover the holes on the spire with shisha??

thanks in advance this ws the first time i used these two products and just looking for some help also i did use the coconaras seemed to be good but they died kinda fast and i was surprised after hearing all the review on em saying thy last forever

also i seen all the reviews on the vortex and coco naras stil couldnt get it to work right
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:51 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

Default Re: HELP WITH VORTEX AND COCO NARA

you have to flip them. personally i liked using my oven's coil burners. put them on and turn it on the highest with the vent on. when they get gray on the sides flip them and wait a minute or 2
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:55 PM
-jordan-

I agree, get a coil burner at walgreens.. They cost like 10 bucks and work like a charm.. Cocos stay red hot for probably nearly an hour, and with a windcover I can use one set of three coals through an entire session. Awesome coals.. As for how to pack a vortex bowl there's bound to be videos around here somewhere on the subject..
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:58 PM
uk_shisha_king
Hookah Nut

Make sure when the cocos are on an open flame you flip them so the whole coal is ashed over and not black.

In regards to the vortex bowl, check out the videos on how to pack a vortex bowl, personally I prefer the phunnel bowls, I think its much easier to pack and smoke from

Hope this helps
Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:00 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

make sure you do it in a well ventilated area too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_shisha_king View Post
Make sure when the cocos are on an open flame you flip them so the whole coal is ashed over and not black.

In regards to the vortex bowl, check out the videos on how to pack a vortex bowl, personally I prefer the phunnel bowls, I think its much easier to pack and smoke from

Hope this helps
they are also less messy since you dont have stuff dripping down the column holes and retain their heat better
Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:03 PM
mrbojangles447
Hookah Newbie

As for the CocoNara problem, if you can't find a coal burner try an electric or gas range on your kitchen stove then flip it when the bottom is lit. you can find a vid on the vortex anywhere
Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:06 PM
killak3v
Hookah Nut

alright guys thanks a lot so far i def flipped them a couple times and it didnt work i am gonna try the coil burner for sure and for the vortex i just wanted to know if i should pack above the holes or under them
Old January 22nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
Lablabla
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to Lablabla

as for the vortex, i pack it like this (tmw hopefully i'll upload a how-to video):
take the sisha and spirnkle it into the vortex around the sphire, then gently pack it down, not too hard. the important thing i always keep in mind is keep it below the holes. also what i do after the foil is on and everything, i blow into the vortex from underneath (where the gromet sits) just to make sure airflow is not restricted and that nothing blocks the holes.

as for the naras, i use one of 2 ways, i have a portable gas stove, i place a BBQ grid on it place the coals and cover them with a windcover and light it. after about 10 minutes i flip em over (be careful, the windcover is DARN HOT!) for about 2-3 minutes, then remove, blow a bit and all done.

other option, if my stove is out of gas, i set on a metal plate BBQ charcoals, arrange them in a circle, about 5/10 cm height, take a toilet paper soaked in cooking oil, light and close the top of the circle with more coals. once they are red hot, ready to BBQ, i open it up, place the naras inside and close, sometimes add windcover. give it about 10 minutes, no need to flip, usually, and that's it. a lot of hassle, but with no coil burner, and sometimes out of gas!

enjoy!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 03:14 PM
BuzzHookah
Hookah Pro

1. Load with shisha, then use a small for or a set of tong that u might use only for tobacco and gently push the shisha below the spire holes. the tobacco should be highest on the outside and lowest by the spire, imagine a nascar track, this will get you perfect session
2. Get yourself a coil burner you will not regret it.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Hookahking72
Hookah Newbie

i personally lightly sprinkle the shish in there all the way around the bowl and softly pack it down, i always keep my shish above the holes to the brim almost but use tongs to shift the inner shish a little farther away from the center holes so the is a small space between shish and holes. everyone has their own ways this just seems to work perfect for me and my friends would agree that with this method i have never made a bad bowl. Enjoy your vortex!!!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:19 PM
fish120590
Hookah Newbie

I own a vortex bowl and i always pack it to or above the holes. as long as you dont jam the holes with the shisha you should still get air flow.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:20 PM
Dakins
Hookah Pro

I pack under the holes and press the shisha against the sides so it gives it sort of a slope. Then I poke one ring of holes into the foil on the very outer edge of the bowl. This has the effect of maximizing the surface that's in contact with the hot air and minimizing the amount of tobacco that's used by about 30%. I always get amazing airflow and flavour as well as crazy smoke.

tl;dr pack under the holes, save your shisha
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:41 PM
HookahWoltar
Hookah Newbie

Ok. with the cocos you have to make sure the coal is suspended im the air not touching flat on a surface. like if you have a gas stove, place the coal on the pan grid over the flame if possible. a coco that is flat on something with only one side exposed to flame will never light correctly imo.
The Vortex bowl's pack is indeed supposed to go above the holes. for the amount I usaully use about a half a 50g pack of fantasia, ping pong ball size of tangiers and so forth. about 30-40 grams. you want to sprinkle the shisha in about three layers evenly, this helps for a better density throughout. you need to keep from putting big pieces infront of the holes, try to pack around them evenly while still going over them. the shisha should be slightly above the spire and rim of the bowl. then you want to gently push the rest to right under the outer rim level on the bowl, about even with the spire. wipe any juice from the top of spire and put foil on TIGHT. poke 3 rings of perfect even circles around the spire,(no holes on or over the spire!!) its pretty important to do a good even job. push down on the foil above the spire to make an indentation of the perfect center of the bowl to help. place two cocos on the sides between the spire and rim. move coals on the spire if not smoking, and move to rim if harsh. rotate for flavor. there ya go im tired of typing. lol jk
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook