Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Jumbo Base

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:25 PM
birdhousebmx
Hookah Newbie

Default Jumbo Base

Hey guys.

I just purchased one of the new jumbo bases. I was just seeing if someone is having the same problem as I am.

I recently pieced together my own hookah and these are the specs:

- Heart of Lion Tri-Metal Chiller
- Jumbo Base
- Caravan Ultimate hose
- Crown hookah Glass Tip
- Small Tangiers Phunnel Bowl

After getting my base I noticed that the smoke gets harsh fast and the smoke is thin. But before putting my jumbo base on the stem (using a regular KM base), the smoke was thick, bowl would never get harsh. I am smoking tangiers (noir and lucid) and both were fine on the original KM base, but putting the stem and stuff on the jumbo base, I found the smoke harsh and thin.

I just was wondering if someone was having the same problems as I was using the jumbo base. I haven't messed with the water level that much, but I have put the water at the bell of the stem, an inch above the bell, and a LITTLE above the bell of the stem, and it doesn't really change.

Just looking for suggestions or similar problems.

Last edited by birdhousebmx; January 23rd, 2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old January 24th, 2010, 02:57 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Default Re: Jumbo Base

Water level inch above the base of the stem not the bell the jumbo vase is bigger thus will take more smoke to fill
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:31 AM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

oh man.. probably monday or tuesday i will have the new americana from john.. comes with a jumbo and a narbish v3.. so fucking excited (excuse my language)
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:49 AM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

you could try more water cuz the base is so much bigger .

HP Feedback - http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...hlight=abzy786
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:51 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzy786 View Post
you could try more water cuz the base is so much bigger .
More water makes the draw heavier just my experience with large vases
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:04 PM
birdhousebmx
Hookah Newbie

Yea. I put my regular KM base back on and put the water level right at the bell and it was perfect smoke. Thick and very smooth.

It's something with the base. I don't understand how it could be harsh via the base though, thin yes, but harsh?
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:52 PM
-jordan-

I agree... Maybe try some more water so there is equivalent amount of airspace in the new base as in your old base.... Chances are the pull on the hose will be a tad harder though :/ worth a shot to help troubleshoot the problem..
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:55 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhousebmx View Post
Yea. I put my regular KM base back on and put the water level right at the bell and it was perfect smoke. Thick and very smooth.

It's something with the base. I don't understand how it could be harsh via the base though, thin yes, but harsh?
probably the bigger vase leaves more smoke behind and he doesn't clear out the vase with his pulls so he leaves some behind and the smoke gets stale.. then when he pulls again the smoke is already stale and makes him cough... i think this is whats going on
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Black_Mamba
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by glostersa View Post
More water makes the draw heavier just my experience with large vases

I don't see how this makes sense? Regardless of the total amount of water, the water level should still be around the same height above the bottom of the stem. So there would be the same amount of water above the stem that the smoke travels through...right?
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:52 PM
birdhousebmx
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD_HATTER View Post
probably the bigger vase leaves more smoke behind and he doesn't clear out the vase with his pulls so he leaves some behind and the smoke gets stale.. then when he pulls again the smoke is already stale and makes him cough... i think this is whats going on
I'm talking about taking a hit right after I just took one. It doesn't matter if I clear it or not...it's still harsh. But not with my regular KM base.

Doesn't make any sense to me honestly.
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

bases dont change anything for me honestly. i have a jumbo and dont notice different smoke between that and other ones
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:19 AM
birdhousebmx
Hookah Newbie

Then I dont understand what is different.

What do you have your water level set at? inches above the bell?
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Hookah Newb
Hookah Nut

I want a jumbo vase with a new km when I get one

Does anyone happen to have a side by side size comparison photo?
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Hookah Newb
Hookah Nut

nevermind, HJ has a side by side photo on his site
Old January 27th, 2010, 12:42 AM
birdhousebmx
Hookah Newbie

It's pretty big.

I'm gonna try again sometime with more water and see if that makes a difference. I dont think it will though.
Old January 27th, 2010, 02:45 AM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

my americana just got in with the jumbo vase.. the vase is massive, pretty heavy, and absolutely beautiful lol
Old January 27th, 2010, 03:27 AM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Mamba View Post
I don't see how this makes sense? Regardless of the total amount of water, the water level should still be around the same height above the bottom of the stem. So there would be the same amount of water above the stem that the smoke travels through...right?
I think the post you were referring to was saying to fill the vase higher on the stem than he did with the bell vase to make the amount of space in the vase equivalent. What you're saying is correct, if you have the water at 1" above the stem there won't be a difference in between the two vases. If you instead fill the water 1.5-2" over the stem in a jumbo(which is what I think they were saying) the pull will be more draggy.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old January 27th, 2010, 06:28 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypherEnigma View Post
I think the post you were referring to was saying to fill the vase higher on the stem than he did with the bell vase to make the amount of space in the vase equivalent. What you're saying is correct, if you have the water at 1" above the stem there won't be a difference in between the two vases. If you instead fill the water 1.5-2" over the stem in a jumbo(which is what I think they were saying) the pull will be more draggy.
Please note the bell he is referring to is not the bottom of the stem. And yes if you fill more water in the base the weight of the column of water that rises in the stem of the hookah will make a difference in getting a harder pull or more drag. So when he is finished taking a hit that same column rises in the stem pushing the cold smoke back through the tobacco and the first hit is heated second hand smoke mixed with fresh smoke. Now the jumbo Vase has a larger surface area at the level 1 inch above the bottom of the stem thus more water. this could also be the cause has he tried less water??
Old January 27th, 2010, 12:18 PM
birdhousebmx
Hookah Newbie

Yes. I have tried it EXACTLY on the welding of the bell. That's about as low as I would want to go due to the fact that the pull there was significantly light, like breathing in air. Didn't feel like I was pulling. Plus, the smoke was thinner there then in other places (makes sense).

That's where I have it on my regular KM base (about 1/10" of an inch above the bell) and the pull is perfect. Thick smoke, flavorful, not harsh......when I tried it with the jumbo...smoke was thin and harsh. I guess I will try later on tonight with a little more water in the jumbo and see what happens.
Old January 27th, 2010, 12:29 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

There is really no reason this should happen. I could only see it changing if you are not used to a modified draw and are accidentally over heating the tobacco by pulling too hard or too fast.
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:23 PM
birdhousebmx
Hookah Newbie

A modified draw

Hahaha...if you are saying that I am not used to using a better hose and a phunnel bowl...I can't remember a time when I wasn't smoking with those.

I'm not pulling "too hard" or "too fast". Other wise it wouldn't change with the base change. If the bowl is just fine on the regular KM base, pulling the SAME way, then it has something to do with the base and the only thing I can think of is water level. So I guess I am just going to fiddle with the water level.
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:20 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhousebmx View Post
A modified draw

Hahaha...if you are saying that I am not used to using a better hose and a phunnel bowl...I can't remember a time when I wasn't smoking with those.

I'm not pulling "too hard" or "too fast". Other wise it wouldn't change with the base change. If the bowl is just fine on the regular KM base, pulling the SAME way, then it has something to do with the base and the only thing I can think of is water level. So I guess I am just going to fiddle with the water level.
.. Which would modify the draw...
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:29 AM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

used a jumbo for the first time and i noticed nothing different..
Share with your friends on facebook