Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Tangiers Acclimation Question

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 24th, 2010, 07:18 PM
HookahWoltar
Hookah Newbie

Default Tangiers Acclimation Question

Hey Guys!!! I was wondering if tangiers is supposed to smell EXACTLY like its flavor when acclimated. Do i wait till then, or is okay if it smells a LITTLE BIT tobaccoey, or bbq like(not like full blown humidity shock smell). I have some orange soda, and have had a recent volley of storms pass when i got it. it smelled like orange soda to the T when opened. when layed out to acclimate, got that burnt BBQ soy sauce smell. then it whent to a tobacco like orange soda smell. after waiting a couple hours (7) i tried it in that phase. tasted okay not great for a bout 5 minutes, then started tasting like beef jerky, and got like ciggarette harsh on the inhale, if you know what i mean. so i gave up and waited. i tried it again when it smelt a little better and same thing happend only slower. i am by know means clueless, and i attribute all this to the storms ive had. today there gone and im acclimating spread out on foil again. its smelling way better, just a little tobacco like, is this ok to use now, or what?
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Burakiosaurus
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Tangiers Acclimation Question

I have read so many threads like this on Tangiers, with members having problems etc...that I've decided never, ever, to buy this stuff.

Good luck with getting it to smoke well bru, but I'll stick to my AF
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Dee
Hookah Pro

If it tasted good for a period and then started to taste bad, it could very likely be a heat management issue. Tangiers can be heat sensitive. As an example, last night I was smoking Kashmir Peach out of my Crown Classic bowl. I started with two CH natural coals. After about 10 or fifteen minutes the taste suddenly went south. I dropped the coals off, purged and only put one coal back on. It smoked very well after that. When the smoke started to get weak, I put the second coal back on.
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Jride
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burakiosaurus View Post
I have read so many threads like this on Tangiers, with members having problems etc...that I've decided never, ever, to buy this stuff.

Good luck with getting it to smoke well bru, but I'll stick to my AF
I decided the same but I am hopefully getting some in a trade here soon.
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:20 PM
HookahWoltar
Hookah Newbie

thanks dee. i also took this into thought, as i was using two pretty big coals. it was just to harsh even after i purged and recoaled. its just that i dont have a good reference on how the tobacco is supposed to smell before humidity shock.
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:35 PM
-jordan-

EXACT same problems I had with tangiers orange soda when I bought it.. Smelled delicious out of the bag, then after acclimation it smelled like BBQ sauce. Never went back to the orange soda smell.. I decided to try smoking it as is, and it tasted like orange soda for a half hour... But it was buzzing me and my friend a tad too much, and had some strange flavor undertones that I couldn't put my finger on :/ I don't know... Just keep experimenting with it.. I'm sympathetic of your troubles though.. Last time I will ever buy tangiers.
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:53 PM
HookahWoltar
Hookah Newbie

ok, ive had it spread out on foil for about tw0 hours, already done this everyday since i got it varying in times. now that the storms have past its finally starting to smell like orange jelly bellys, not like it did at first, more sweet. still smells a little like soy sauce. maybe i should try it now or in a hour or so ill let it sit longer
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

I talked to Eric on the phone and he told me about a new acclimation method. He also said not to spread it out on foil as the juices stick within the crevices of the folds. The method is as so: Leave in a tupperware container for roughly 20 hours, closed, and open it for 4 hours around smokin' time each day. Otherwise it's like "a dog chasing a car", that is, it will never completely catch up. I can try to help further if it's needed.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:26 PM
HookahWoltar
Hookah Newbie

THANK YOU SCARCITY!!!!. That makes perfect sense. i will do so. I thought about why everytime i sealed it, it smelt good opening it for a minute, becuz it adjusts to the inside of the jar so well. so this method makes the best out of it and you dont loose any of the juice, which i worried about losing to much joose switching it from jar to foil to many times. hope this didnt affect it too much
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarcity View Post
I talked to Eric on the phone and he told me about a new acclimation method. He also said not to spread it out on foil as the juices stick within the crevices of the folds. The method is as so: Leave in a tupperware container for roughly 20 hours, closed, and open it for 4 hours around smokin' time each day. Otherwise it's like "a dog chasing a car", that is, it will never completely catch up. I can try to help further if it's needed.
I find that interesting. I've noticed a few times like with Kashmir Apple, that after initial acclimation the flavor seemed weak. Days later, after sitting sealed in it's container the smell and particularly the flavor improved drastically. I also noticed this with Green Tea with Honey.

The only flavor I've had any real problem with is the new Ginger Beer. It's the only one I have (of seven or eight flavors) that has the BBQ sauce smell. Sometimes it's stronger and sometimes weaker but it hasn't fully gone away. It's also the only one I've had that I haven't been able to get good flavor from. I'm not sure if that's acclimation or if my palette just can't pick up on it.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:07 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

ive never had a problem with tangiers even when i got it frozen solid. pretty much you dump it in a tuperware, break it up and leave it sit. before you go to bed mix it up some and leave it sit. in the morning mix it up some and if it doesnt smell right just repeat it again.
Old January 25th, 2010, 12:06 AM
davidbondok
Hookah Nut

Tangiers is all about trial and error maybe first start with the lucid line and once you get that down move on to the regular line. But in oppinion the lucid line is just as good and a little easier to manage.
Old January 25th, 2010, 02:59 AM
HookahWoltar
Hookah Newbie

cool thank you guys.
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Yet another new "technique"?

Can I offer up one to try? "Freeze for 20 minutes, then put it in the microwave for 10 seconds, it 'shocks' the tobacco and it helps to bring out the flavor!"

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:31 AM
gnuworldorder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post

Can I offer up one to try? "Freeze for 20 minutes, then put it in the microwave for 10 seconds, it 'shocks' the tobacco and it helps to bring out the flavor!"
what about order in the winter and have fedex deliver frozen blocks then thaw them on the radiator. it works really well
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:

Samb, we all know your gripes with Tangier's, no need to beat a dead horse .
But the 20/4 method has actually been around for a while, I just haven't heard it from anyone on here.
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:33 AM
gnuworldorder
Banned

whats the 20/4 method?
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuworldorder View Post
whats the 20/4 method?
The one I described above: Leave open for 4 hours a day, around your smoking time, then closed the remaining 20.
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:38 AM
gnuworldorder
Banned

wouldnt it make more sense to leave it open 24/7?
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuworldorder View Post
wouldnt it make more sense to leave it open 24/7?
I don't see why it would, there would be (some) moisture loss, as well as the metaphor above: Dog chasing a car. Dog being tobacco, car being humidity, the tobacco will just never catch up to the same humidity level.
I don't know why in the 4 hours it 'catches up' but it works for me, so I don't really care.
But if you're super interested, I could make up a theory.
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:51 AM
gnuworldorder
Banned

pootaytoe patatoe i guess. if it works it works
Old January 25th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarcity View Post
Samb, we all know your gripes with Tangier's, no need to beat a dead horse .
yeah but it's not dead yet? I still have to look at the continuous threads about "Why it smells like BBQ?" and "Acclimation" .. It is an eye sore and it is getting to the point that I may need to develop a modification to search posts and send them to their own forum when they are the same repetitive posts about Tangiers problems. At least then we won't have to look at the same threads all the time. and we can combine all the problem and help threads into one forum. Hmmm that may not be a bad idea!??

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old January 25th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
yeah but it's not dead yet? I still have to look at the continuous threads about "Why it smells like BBQ?" and "Acclimation" .. It is an eye sore and it is getting to the point that I may need to develop a modification to search posts and send them to their own forum when they are the same repetitive posts about Tangiers problems. At least then we won't have to look at the same threads all the time. and we can combine all the problem and help threads into one forum. Hmmm that may not be a bad idea!??
Or just word filter Tangier's to KING MOASSEL. "I have a problem with KING MOASSEL" the answer can just be "It's king moassel"

But seriously I (or whoever) could just make a thread that is a compilation of all tangiers knowledge and it could be stickied.
edit: read one forum as in hookahpro.tangiers.com not as one thread, if thats what you meant :X

Lastly, the horse is actually your aversion towards Tangier's in this case.
Old January 25th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

It's been done numerous times .. the "It smells like BBQ" and "It tastes nothing like what it says" keep on occurring. Far too often of a ratio in my opinion.

Old January 25th, 2010, 11:41 AM
gnuworldorder
Banned

i could be wrong but doesn't it tell you exactly what to do on the label? i would check but i cut the flavor out and throw the label out
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook