Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Sick from Quick Lights?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 25th, 2010, 01:53 AM
saxman42
Hookah Newbie

Default Sick from Quick Lights?

Hey Everyone,

I own my own hookah (Mya Bambino, in case it matters) and I smoke it in my room every once in a while. Whenever I do, the flavor ends up having an overpowering charcoal taste almost immediately and it always leads to me feeling sick. I know it's not burning, I've been smoking hookah for quite some time and I know how to pack a bowl properly and manage the heat from the coals to keep in from being harsh or burnt any way.

I even smoke at my friends apartment (using my hookah or his), but it ends up fine. We always use coconut coals instead of quick lights at his apartment. I bought the exact same coals he has at his apartment, but I think I got a bad batch because they won't stay lit even thought I leave them on the stove until the entire coal is red hot, which takes about 8-10 minutes.

Mostly, I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with feeling sick and having almost none of the shisha flavor while smoking. Does anyone have any solutions for me?

Last edited by saxman42; January 25th, 2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old January 25th, 2010, 02:16 AM
crazy4chickens
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Sick from Quick Lights?

well if quick lights make you sick try naturals and see if it clears up if not ventilate your room every so often or as my friends tell me take a breathe between hits
Old January 25th, 2010, 02:21 AM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

After I smoke or during a long session, I go outside for some fresh air. It will also help to try and switch to natural coals.
Old January 25th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

If your not using CH QLs your QLs suck. Srsly I ONLY use ******* Hookah QL coals, and compared to every other QL I have use they are the best, to me there is no difference in quality of flavor between a natural coal and a CH QL. Switch to naturals if you must but if its not CH QL its not going on my bowl!

-And no Johns not telling me to say any of that, keepin it real yall, there is no better QL coal out there. No sickness!
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:21 AM
HookahWoltar
Hookah Newbie

Ya, most quick lights are not good. if you dont clean your EVERY, EVERy, EVERY!!!! time you will not get a good flavor. switch to a well known brand of charcoal, and clean that baby
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:41 AM
unicycleboy3190
Hookah Pro

if you go with the cheap disk QL's you need to make sure that the coal is ashed over before you put it on the hookah

Old January 25th, 2010, 03:55 AM
saxman42
Hookah Newbie

I clean every part of my hookah extremely well every time I smoke it. I use the golden coal quick lights and I always make sure to give them plenty of time to get started before I smoke. I ordered some Shishaco coconut coals to try out. I would have gone for the coco naras, but I was ordering some Hookah Freak anyway and didn't feel like paying for shipping from two different companies. Anyone have any input on the Shishaco coals?
Old January 25th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman42 View Post
I clean every part of my hookah extremely well every time I smoke it. I use the golden coal quick lights and I always make sure to give them plenty of time to get started before I smoke. I ordered some Shishaco coconut coals to try out. I would have gone for the coco naras, but I was ordering some Hookah Freak anyway and didn't feel like paying for shipping from two different companies. Anyone have any input on the Shishaco coals?
Shishaco coals are pretty good. They take a while to light (assuming you ordered natural) and smell kinda bad while lighting but once lit they dont have much taste, they ash kinda bad but nothing too extreme. These were my first coals I used before using CH
Old January 25th, 2010, 07:25 AM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

i got really sick from using CH QLs i think it because i had been using nats for so long the switch over to the QLs made me sick. i think it was the chemicals in QLs. i have totally stooped using them now cuz any QLs i se i get a bad headache.

HP Feedback - http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...hlight=abzy786
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:37 AM
saxman42
Hookah Newbie

Also, has anyone else had issues with Al-Fakher coconut coals? As I said, I bought some because my friend had some that worked fine, but the batch I got just won't stay lit. We even tried both of ours at the same time and mine died when his stayed lit for quite a while. Are those coals really that inconsistent or was that a fluke?
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quicklight coals SUCK!

aside from the above statement .. you can still use them. BUT you have to relax grasshopper! I bet you light a coal, put it on and start puffing away .. WRONG!

Do this next time .. light your coal, let it get FULLY lit and ash over gray (should be NO black showing) then put on your bowl and just let it SIT for about 4 minutes (patience young grasshopper! read a book or go get some water while your bowl warms up, DON'T SMOKE until 4 minutes after placing on your bowl)

After 4 minutes start smoking .. let me know how it goes.

I mention this technique in my how to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_BCJ1xOQTE

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:55 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I always get extremely sick from quicklites and exoticas.
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Hmm Exoticas making you sick? Those are one of my favorites. You are probably doing it wrong with the Exoticas. Try lighting them all the way on the stove, then let them ash over. Use the same technique with naturals as I recommend with quicklights and let them heat your bowl up for 4 minutes before puffing away. make sure you don't smoke on an empty stomach and drink plenty of water. This goes for any hookah session. Hope that helps you Zensilk.

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old January 25th, 2010, 11:08 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

I Only use disk QL coals here for that is all that we can get. So what Sambooka says holds true Light the disk once completely Grey Ashed over let it sit and warm the bowl and tobacco then smoke.

It works
Old January 25th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glostersa View Post
I Only use disk QL coals here for that is all that we can get. So what Sambooka says holds true Light the disk once completely Grey Ashed over let it sit and warm the bowl and tobacco then smoke.

It works
Thanks for backing me u on that

Patience is your friend when it comes to coal and hookah.

Old January 25th, 2010, 12:12 PM
B4TheRush
Hookah Nut

Hmmm try making your holes smaller too much ash might be getting through, and use natural coals that will help. Rotate them when needed and make sure to keep the room ventilated and eat before you smoke and make sure to drink lots when you do! hope this helps
Old January 25th, 2010, 12:55 PM
HuMMuS
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to HuMMuS

i dont like CH QL cuz they smell worse on the start up then 3 kings
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:17 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMMuS View Post
i dont like CH QL cuz they smell worse on the start up then 3 kings
usually people that complain of the smell of CH QL's are the people that light them indoors or worse yet in their small room. QL's regardless of manufacturer should really be lit outside. They all give off terrible fumes, some stronger than others, but its just not a safe practice to light QL's indoors.
my 2 cents
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:06 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
Hmm Exoticas making you sick? Those are one of my favorites. You are probably doing it wrong with the Exoticas. Try lighting them all the way on the stove, then let them ash over. Use the same technique with naturals as I recommend with quicklights and let them heat your bowl up for 4 minutes before puffing away. make sure you don't smoke on an empty stomach and drink plenty of water. This goes for any hookah session. Hope that helps you Zensilk.
I unfortunately found that Exoticas got worse and worse in quality as I bought them, getting lighter and more brittle until eventually there was no way I could cut them without crumbling them. When i did get them cut, they would sit on the burner (for a long time, I didn't want a headache) and eventually start to splinter. They were unusable in all regards . Ch Nat's are my bread and butter now though, i have found them to be perfect, even though they have become less and less dense as I have been purchasing them which does worry me.
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:12 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
. Ch Nat's are my bread and butter now though, i have found them to be perfect, even though they have become less and less dense as I have been purchasing them which does worry me.
You might be happy with Johns new batch though, he said they are much denser and longer lasting.
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:15 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Ohh BP that's great to hear, I hope he has them in a few months when I make a purchase. I still have 2 more boxes to go through
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook