Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Weird smell

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 26th, 2010, 11:37 AM
mozerisp
Hookah Newbie

Default Weird smell

Hey HP, been here for at least a few months but never posted anything . but now i seem that i have to cause of this problem.
Currently I have a Mya Razo hookah which rips just perfectly for me. but whenever i try to get it to smoke i keep getting this disgusting smell coming out from the hookah itself. I've tried cleaning with baking soda and lime. but the smell still lingers inside the base and stem part.
now i was wondering what other methods could be used to clean out the hookah to get rid of the smell.

~PM~
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:48 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Re: Weird smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozerisp View Post
Hey HP, been here for at least a few months but never posted anything . but now i seem that i have to cause of this problem.
Currently I have a Mya Razo hookah which rips just perfectly for me. but whenever i try to get it to smoke i keep getting this disgusting smell coming out from the hookah itself. I've tried cleaning with baking soda and lime. but the smell still lingers inside the base and stem part.
now i was wondering what other methods could be used to clean out the hookah to get rid of the smell.

~PM~
Ok, not to sound like a jerk, but lime is in no way a good cleanser.

Lemon juice is what you should be using. Lemon juice, baking soda, water. Mya's have a very odd inner stem design that is just an unfinished rough brass surface that "collects" flavors and doesn't let them go. Brush cleaning does nothing as the brass just rips apart any brush you throw at it. You can't use a wire brush because it won't fit through the openings.

Use the lemon/baking soda/water mix, doesn't matter really the exact measurements. I always like to add at least a 1/4 cup of lemon juice, then some baking soda so it fizzes up and add water while it's fizzing so it doesn't bubble over. Plugging the end of the pipe and just swishing the mix around, dumping out, repeating that is my method. if it's really bad i just plug the ends with a stopper and let the mixture destroy all smell inside the stem.

What you smell is ever single flavor oil residue resting on your pipe after being superheated and mixing together with the other flavors you smoke. This is commonly known as "Ghosting".

Mya hookahs tend to not last over 2 years because of this problem.
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:17 PM
mozerisp
Hookah Newbie

Sorry meant lemon not lime. and my Mya is around 1.5 years old so i kinda see why its coming. but I'm planning on getting a KM pretty soon, so i doubt ill be facing that issue for too long.

~PM~
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:24 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozerisp View Post
Sorry meant lemon not lime. and my Mya is around 1.5 years old so i kinda see why its coming. but I'm planning on getting a KM pretty soon, so i doubt ill be facing that issue for too long.

~PM~

Lol ok, sorry about that!

Yeah, a Mya hookah will last forever, but the smokeability is about 2 years tops.
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:46 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

There is a very good chance that it is the hose if you are still using the stock Mya hose.
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:53 PM
gnuworldorder
Banned

just wondering why would someone use lemon juice instead of vinegar or ditch both and use something like club soda? all 3 ways you get the fizzing but with the other 2 you dont get a sticky mess. personally i use tonic water to clean my nammor
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:59 PM
JediSpam
Hookah Aficionado

i've always sticked with lemon juice never given baking soda a shot
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:11 PM
87t0y
Hookah Newbie

really? i must be a total noob, i thought as long as you took care of a hookah it would last forever. is this just myas? or do all hookahs have an expiration date.
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:31 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to 1lowtoy Send a message via Yahoo to 1lowtoy

i have 4 mya hookhas and one of witch is a mya QT that is over 3 years old and never have any problem with the smoke tasting odd or off. but it may be i have a strange palet. personaly i have many hoses that are non washable especially my km hoses witch some are over 2 years old use them non stop and i personally think that the years of smoking has given it carter and tast great no matter what tobacco is in it. but i also always hang them up streatched all the way out. I think your just not getting your bowl or hookah all the way cleaned out. all my hookahs have a oder to them without anything in them but i belive allot of it is oders and oils that have soaked into the rubber of the grommets. Also rember never assemble your hookah with moisture in it for storage, even if its for a day or 2 may also contribute to your complaint. I would never pitch a mya cause its 2 years old. But if you feel the need to get rid of it pm me ill throw some your cash your way for it. You can never have to many hookahs.
Old January 26th, 2010, 02:07 PM
mozerisp
Hookah Newbie

I got the wide gauge Mya hose (fully washable) so its not the hose. but it was icky during washing process.
the hookah itself is amazing, its just when i was starting to smoking some AF i got this yucky hit of the smell.
ill just have to buy some more baking soda/lemon juice and let it soak for a bit.
Old January 26th, 2010, 02:12 PM
mozerisp
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87t0y View Post
really? i must be a total noob, i thought as long as you took care of a hookah it would last forever. is this just myas? or do all hookahs have an expiration date.
most hookahs don't have one. but some of the generic ones can have a usage limit before it goes bust. My previous rig (generic Chinese) lasted about a year before the hearth and stem was filled with rust.
Old January 26th, 2010, 02:49 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Does the mya not screw apart if so unscrew the pieces then you can get the stem cleaned properly
Share with your friends on facebook