Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Reviewers & vendors

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 28th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Lablabla
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to Lablabla
Default Reviewers & vendors

Hi,
as u may noticed, i got into the reviewing thing lately, loving it.
Got about 10 new videos to come when i get home next week.

I've seen guys here reviewing and saying they got free stuff to check out. Stuff like that really happen?

Since i live in israel and shipping being suck(!), i dont have what u guys have, if u saw my local reviews. Any other non-us reviewers? How u guys handle it? Cause shipping to israel of vortex and 80 pcs coconaras costed more than the item itself (total of 44$. Alot in terms of israeli money)
Old January 28th, 2010, 07:11 PM
unicycleboy3190
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Reviewers & vendors

i would say ask patelbadboy2006

Old January 28th, 2010, 07:32 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

as a vendor and consumer i have talked about this issue in the past. it has been brought up before. i'd like to participate in this discussion again though since you brought it up. my feeling towards getting "free stuff" and reviewing it is extremely biased and is not fair to the community. if i give you "free product" in exchange for a review of me/product wouldn't you feel obliged to throw in a good word, whether or not the service/product was that good? or could it be that i agreed to give you free product in exchange for a positive review?
there are a ton of great reviews out there by consimers who have purchased their product and are free to say whatever they want and not feel like they owe the "giver" anything. those are the only reviews that I consider legit. if you are looking for free product just to review it's not fair to the to the community if you are not giving an unbiased review. my 2 cents
Old January 28th, 2010, 07:51 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Yup shipping is really expensive, what i do is i get a couple of people to order with me to split it, works out better for everyone, or wait a while until im totally dry and make a massive purchase, shippings not that bad if you order a lot, i think the first 2 kilos is $30 and each additional one is only $10.

And regards to free stuff i know when i say i got this from ... means i bought it from them not i got it free, unless it was thrown in while i bought something else then i would mention it was free, but still give a honest review.

Most vendors dont make products themself, unless your SS and **********(coals) and nazah(razan), they really aint a point in them given free products away as its basically being advertised for all the vendors not just themselfs.
Old January 28th, 2010, 07:52 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Oh the free stuff might have been from sahara smoke from last yrs comp, hookahstore are running one this yr so check that out, you can get free stuff
Old January 28th, 2010, 08:14 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

actually PBB brings up a good point, maybe if you are making a review you can say "so and so gave this to me free to give a review"" and if you bought it, just say you bought it and make it clear it wasn't free. but then again there are no rules when reviewing products on youtube so who knows?
Old January 28th, 2010, 08:26 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
actually PBB brings up a good point, maybe if you are making a review you can say "so and so gave this to me free to give a review"" and if you bought it, just say you bought it and make it clear it wasn't free. but then again there are no rules when reviewing products on youtube so who knows?
Yh i beieve if you got something free to review you are obliged to mention it was given to you by ... to review, but maybe thats just me
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:34 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

reminds me of that commercial with lil john and tonic shisha, see lil john says that tonic is the best shisha around, and i would too if you paid me enough.
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Crown Hookahs
Vendor

Send a message via AIM to Crown Hookahs

You mean lil' jon isn't a reliable source for unbiased reviews?

If lil' jon isn't... than.. WHO IS!?!?!
Old January 28th, 2010, 11:06 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

me... WHAAT? YEAYA OK!!
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Lablabla
Hookah Nut

Being from israel and all, i have no idea who lil john is. But i agree with john, that's why i asked it. It's not a review, it's more of an ad, free stuff is kinda like been paid to do that review.

As for the shipping, i wish i had someone to share orders with. My friends are very light smokers.. Not into the special stuff.
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Dee
Hookah Pro

The only thing I received for free that I "reviewed" was the coffee that John sent me. I actually won that in a little contest and I didn't really review it per say. I did feel obligated in a way to mention that I received the coffee, I mean he did a cool thing for us by giving away the coffee so I felt it fair to mention it publicly that he did it. I gave my honest opinion of the coffee and it just so happens that I liked it. If I hadn't liked it I would have said so.

Personally, if I did receive something for free from a vendor and it was obvious the vendor wanted a review, I would mention that fact and I would give my honest opinion. If giving a negative review means no more free stuff for me, so be it. I didn't start making videos so that I could "get free stuff", I started making videos here because I used to make videos in another "internet life" and I enjoy doing it. Getting into hookah just gave me an excuse to start making videos again.

This is all a matter of integrity both on the part of the reviewer AND the vendor. If a vendor wants someone to plug their products, they can easily find people that are willing to do so. If a reviewer is only doing reviews in order to receive "free stuff" it will most likely become obvious after watching a few of their reviews. I personally can't see myself doing that. Being dishonest with the people that watch my videos and more importantly with myself, just isn't worth getting free product. If a vendor does something nice for me or the community at large I will certainly mention it. If the product they provide is, in my opinion, sub-par I feel obligated to mention that also.
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Lablabla
Hookah Nut

^like it.
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:01 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Dee, you and I share the same philosophy it seems. If I don't like it, I will say so. I have Romman Good Times to review, which I got free with the purchase of my Nammor Giza. If I don't like it, you guys will know. I also got the Sinbad Quick Lights free when I purchased Sinbad Tobacco. I love the Sinbad Quick Lights and need to order some more. I wouldn't have known that if I didn't get the free sample.

Lablabla, sometimes vendors throw in free samples for you to try their product. I would not have purchase Sinbad Quick Lights, not a big fan of QL, but now that I got to try them, I really like them. I too am like Dee. I did not start doing videos for this contest or free stuff. I started my reviews before the contest was announced, but barely. I am not asking hookahstore.com for the free samples either, just the way I am. I have an order from John coming in today. As far as I know, the only thing free I am getting are a box of his coals. I will give my honest opinion about John and my honest opinion on my first try on his coals. I am sure John would want to know if I think he is a horrible vendor or if he is a good one, and so far John, nothing but great things to say!
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Lablabla
Hookah Nut

After seeing so many good reviews on his coals, i really wanna try CH. Since john wont ship to israel, i may try to find a way around. Maybe family, really looking forward trying em..
As for been honest, i totally agree. Reviews mean nothing if they arent honest.
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:33 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lablabla View Post
After seeing so many good reviews on his coals, i really wanna try CH. Since john wont ship to israel, i may try to find a way around. Maybe family, really looking forward trying em..
As for been honest, i totally agree. Reviews mean nothing if they arent honest.
(threadjack)
maybe this summer, i may go to lebanon, we could meet at the fence and i can toss some boxes over. that would be a great persoanl delivery. we could videotape that for hp. now that would be an original review. lol
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Unstopable
Hookah Newbie

Hi mate,i'm from Israel too.
Cheers
Old January 29th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Lablabla
Hookah Nut

Haha john, that would be great if we wont get arrested for exchanging drugs. (I know, i was a soldier on that border, lol)
But maybe we can work out something a bit more legit. Lol. (Just making sure, i didnt say it as a complain or something).
I may travel to the us upom my upcoming discharge of the army, easier than to toss it over a fence. :-P

Hi israeli guy, where u from?
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook